First attempt at a portrait set

jason.moseleyjason.moseley Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited October 26, 2010 in People
Time for my youngest's nine-month pictures (well, actually 9 3/4 months. I'm behind). My wife signed me up as the official photographer. I have zero experience in shooting portraits so I did the best I could with a holiday display outside. Please give me your thoughts and critiques, as I have a feeling there's more of this in my future as the family photographer (though I'm sometimes known as "dad").

1062445399_phiNy-L.jpg

1062447104_AiBsR-L.jpg

1062442310_ZRkVw-L.jpg
Go easy on me!

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    The first one is the keeper here for me, especially if you crop down to just above his head - perfect pumpkins and focus on your beautiful boy! It could benefit from a bit more contrast and sharpening, but I like that one the best of the three.

#2 has focus issues - given it's the entire picture (as far as I can tell at this size), I'll guess it's motion blur (ie too slow a shutter speed to capture a crisp shot eithe because of camera shake, or because your subject is a wiggle worm!)

#3 Has potential, but you might want to do some more post-processing to try and balance up the slightly harsh light, sharpen it up a bit more etc etc.

Nice job, and adorable subject!
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    I agree with divamum, but I think all show good composition and capture his expression well. Any parent would love shots like this of there children.

Sam
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    I also love #1 but I think #3 has real potential. I like the composition and how the placement of the pumpkins and the boys arms walk you into the scene. Well thouhgt out. #2 is static and lacks the movement of the other two. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    The compositiosn are great..very cute. The white balance and tonality could use some work..especially 2 and 3
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com