Options

Printing Large for the First Time!!

fotogfotog Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited October 30, 2010 in Finishing School
So I have been at SM for a few months and have been courting customers. Much to my surprise I caught one. What's the problem? She wants everything from a 30x40 canvas mounted and framed to a dozen coffee mugs, to a coffee table book, to a dozen T-shirts. And I am petrified. So at the end of these questions I will link and get some feedback to hopefully calm myself.

1. She wants to see a coffee mug before order. Now I know that is not possible but how can I convince her she doesn't need that?
2. Same with the T-shirts. . .what do I do?
3. The coffee table book I am creating I can use either MyCanvas or Blurb. It concerns me that MyCanvas wants access to all my images to use it. Why is that? Haven't seen Blurb yet but wonder what opinions folks have.
4. The 30x40 is a huge order. Hell my cost is nearly $200 and hers is multiples of that so she is a little leery. So suggestions on selling a 30x40 stretched canvas image which she essentially can not see until it is delivered. Ok that ought to do it for now. Any and all help will be very much appreciated. Thanks, Lar Sinclair:scratch

Here is a link for my work she wants.

http://lar.smugmug.com/Cars/Deanne/14343153_RqW9F#1054292198_G3zu4

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited October 25, 2010
    Hi Lar. Welcome to dgrin.

#1 Why not order a mug for yourself to show her, as well as other customers. You could even drink your morning coffee with it.

#2 You look good in a t-shirt too, right? I think you should get to choose what picture is on it though.

#3 I would not consent to give anyone access to all my images for a book They will need the images that are going into the book,of course. Only those they are going to print for me, only those. Blurb has done several books for folks here on smugmug. ( I have no experience with MyCanvas. ) Smugmug can print on canvas, and they already store your images safely for you. Just a thought...

4# A 30 x 40 inch print is a large image, but your small images on smugmug look pretty good. I could not read your exif data, and you do not list your camera in your profile, so I do not know what camera or file size these are, but most modern DSLRs will make lovely 30x40 inch canvas prints if the files are sharp and properly exposed and edited.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    fotogfotog Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited October 25, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Hi Lar. Welcome to dgrin.

#1 Why not order a mug for yourself to show her, as well as other customers. You could even drink your morning coffee with it.

#2 You look good in a t-shirt too, right? I think you should get to choose what picture is on it though.

#3 I would not consent to give anyone access to all my images for a book They will need the images that are going into the book,of course. Only those they are going to print for me, only those. Blurb has done several books for folks here on smugmug. ( I have no experience with MyCanvas. ) Smugmug can print on canvas, and they already store your images safely for you. Just a thought...

4# A 30 x 40 inch print is a large image, but your small images on smugmug look pretty good. I could not read your exif data, and you do not list your camera in your profile, so I do not know what camera or file size these are, but most modern DSLRs will make lovely 30x40 inch canvas prints if the files are sharp and properly exposed and edited.

Great ideas and I have not a clue why I never thought of that. I went to the site and even though I have show camera details clicked none show so I have no clue about that. I used a Nikon D200 for that group but many of the images at the site are taken with RB67 ProS and scanned over time so no EXIF data there.
    I will order the coffee mugs tomorrow and the TShirts. Also agree I don't trust a site which makes you sign access to all your images. Even if they are considered a SmugMug partner. But this lady wants to choose the images Wednesday and order Friday so no time. Is there a place on the forum where some folks may have done shirts or mugs or whatever and have images of them? That would be helpful. One more thing. How true will it be if I tell her the image will be identical to the image on the site? Just wondering. Have yet to print large from Digital although I often printed 40x60s from the 220 neg. But then I always had a proof to choose from. Gadzooks!
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2010
    For my first large print (and this is a hobby for me) I paid extra for the color correction at BayPhoto. The image came out perfectly. I also would highly recommend reading the SmugMug help files about printing http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-problems They have been really great pointers, and asking before printing has been really helpful. The Support Superheroes will point you in the right direction.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact