Help! Error message in Nikon D300 Playback Menu

awooawoo Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited October 28, 2010 in Cameras
I am hoping to have found the right thread to post this under.... Still learning the forum!

I need help! My Nikon D300 playback menu replaces the view of a photo with an error message in single photo view, that reads, "File does not contain image data." or a red "X" when zoomed out for multiple photo views. As far as I know, this occurs after I have opened a file on my computer to view in Windows Photo Viewer, and have rotated the orientation of the image. It then auto saves. Even if I rotate the pic back to it's "original" orientation, there is still the error message on my camera. :scratch

I guess my question is, has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything specific that is causing this (in case it's just coincidental with the picture rotation)? I don't like the fact that I can't view the photo on my camera after I have rotated the pic on my computer. Any way to "fix" this? "prevent" this? I am using a Lexar Professional CF, and I can't say I remember this happening with my SanDisk, but my memory certainly could have failed me... Help!

:dunno

Comments

• cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    I'm not an expert, but if you are rotating (even if then rotating back) the image on the CF card when attached to a computer, it's going to be changing the file from the format the camera recognizes. I'd recommend copying the files from the CF to a location (or multiple locations for backup purposes) on the computer, and then manipulating them. Once the photos are safely downloaded from the CF card to the computer, there should be no need to keep them on the CF card, so reformat the card and start over with new "film." If you really want to look at them on the computer but keep them on the CF card for when it is reinserted in the camera, don't modify them in any way on the CF card, just copy them to another location, put the CF card back in the camera, and then have your way with the files you copied over.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited October 26, 2010
    You should always copy the image files to your computer from the card, then use another copy of the file to make changes (if you must continue to use software like Windows Photo Viewer.) I highly recommend switching to a non-destructive viewer like Picasa, which is both freeware and non-destructive.

http://picasa.google.com/

If you change the file in any way it will no longer show/play on your camera.

You can use software like IrfanView and SaveAs the file to a JPG without any of the JPG/GIF options checked and that should allow you to display those files on the camera. It is still a very bad idea to change any files without first backing up the originals onto your computer.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    !!!!!AAAAAAAA!!!!! Where's that topic about the D70, and downloading / format etiquette? Someone find it and link it, we totally need to re-visit the things mentioned in that thread.

Bottom line, Awoo: HUGE NO-NO! Download your images, format your cards in the camera, and shoot new pictures. No exceptions, if at all possible.

=Matt=

{edit} here you go. Read this, everybody, if you haven't already: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=180413

Also, my articles on http://cameratalk.xanga.com sometimes pertain to memory card etiquette...
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    This happened to me on my D90. After recording a video clip i turned off the camera before it was done writing to the card. All the shots after that gave me the red box of death. tried to recover with some software, no luck. It was a 16 gig SDHC card, off brand, luckily it was at the end of a two day trip, and the photos before the clip were fine.

Learned my lesson about card quality......

Did the rotation get interrupted with a dead battery or powering the D300 off.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • awooawoo Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    I'm not an expert, but if you are rotating the image on the CF card when attached to a computer, it's going to be changing the file from the format the camera recognizes.
    Good point. Never thought of that.
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    You should always copy the image files to your computer from the card, then use another copy of the file to make changes (if you must continue to use software like Windows Photo Viewer.) I highly recommend switching to a non-destructive viewer like Picasa, which is both freeware and non-destructive.
    I know, I know! Any "Microsoft" picture programs I have used I have had issues with. I am saving up for Photoshop.
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    It is still a very bad idea to change any files without first backing up the originals onto your computer.
    HUGE NO-NO! Download your images, format your cards in the camera, and shoot new pictures. No exceptions, if at all possible.
    That's what my husband has been trying to tell me. (and he's a professional videographer, so he knows what he's talking about!) I guess it's time to listen, huh??!!
    time2smile wrote: »
    Did the rotation get interrupted with a dead battery or powering the D300 off.
    No - I believe it's saving it as a format the camera isn't recognizing, but good to know about the "interruptions!"

Thanks for all these helpful responses!!
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    Umm . . . I think it's important to point out that the image is still on the card, uncorrupted and still downloadable. It's just not viewable on the camera's display. What's the big deal? headscratch.gif Don't panic. You haven't lost anything.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    If you do anything to the images it will freak out. Same goes for putting your card into another camera and then back in yours -- you can't see the images.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses