Options

LR output sharpening

paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
edited October 27, 2010 in Finishing School
I have read a some about output vs. capture sharpening, for example, this thread:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=159297

and don't want to re-create a general discussion. However, I have two specific questions I have not seen answered. Anyone have advice on these points?

1. I understand that sharpening that looks good on the screen is often inadequate for an inkjet. I used to handle this by oversharpening a bit before printing. Is output sharpening any different from that?

2. If you have sharpened enough that the image looks good on your screen, why would you want additional output sharpening for viewing on the screen (one of the LR settings)?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    1. It sounds like you "oversharpened a bit" merely by boosting the number somewhat. LR output sharpening is said to involve a more sophisticated algorithm that takes into account the media type (glossy/matte), a typical viewing distance, typical dot gain, etc. They say it's based on the PhotoKit Sharpener plug-in which was well regarded.

2. It might be redundant if you are sharpening the picture on screen at its final Web size. But that rarely happens unless you are making little web-sized copies of everything first. Typically you are sharpening the full size (10-20 megapixel) original, and the settings in that case are very wrong if will later be shrinking it during export down to a web size like 600x400px. By choosing Screen the program can apply reasonable sharpening to the version after you have the Export dialog resize it on the fly.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    1, Basically you cannot use a low rez output device like a display to visually make judgements about the output sharpening for a high resolution device like a printer. So basically what you see isn’t what you get. This is one reason why you do NOT get a preview of the output sharpening in LR.

2. You capture sharpen in Develop on screen to make a visually attractive preview. The output sharpening is now compounded (add on top of) this capture sharpening. The basis for three stages of sharpening and the two stages available in LR are based on the work by Bruce Fraser, first described in this article: http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/20357.html
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited October 27, 2010
    One thing seems almost forgotten in the digital age...

You can always make a test print of a small portion of your image at the size you plan to print your file at, and see what the test print looks like. That is how we used to do it in the darkroom, and it still works. Questions about sharpening, or color casts, can be answered with just a few quick test prints, and then you will know the answer for yourself.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin