Session from Saturday/need CC on OCF

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited October 28, 2010 in People
I've chosen a few to show and then need some advice...cc, pointers anything to help me learn that darned OCF. :rofl

mistake #1 ugh...i'll be cloning out the bolt neck
1065156616_NZFdX-L-1.jpg
1065162436_2wgAy-L-1.jpg
I am in LOVE with the next few. Her mom is too and is getting a large canvas of a few of them I think
1065178519_ziohG-L-1.jpg
1065184262_VLgUP-L-1.jpg
1065189422_iBED8-L-1.jpg
1065200961_fJd3L-L-1.jpg
I already feel that a reflector may have helped lift some of the shadows on camera left. Any other tips?
1065208351_Q3KiP-L-1.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    I like #4. Solid everything: expressions, angle, framing, focus, processing...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    I like #4. Solid everything: expressions, angle, framing, focus, processing...

Thank you so much. :)
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    Julie the OCF is only obvious in the first and last shots. In the first, I think you let in too much ambient light. In the last...not quite enough ambient light. In both, the flash could have stood to be raised a tad higher. Are you using an umbrella?

The last shot would appear entirely dofferent if her chin and shoulders had been pointed toward the light rather than the camera.

I shoot to histogram values and begin my set up by setting an ambient exposure with no flash....exposing to the right of the histogram. Next I add ETTL (or auto) flash. The flash is located to provide light for the subject in the foreground. Speeding up the shutter or slowing it down will then either darken the background (and shadows) or lighten it respectively. I recommend an umbrella ( iI use a shoot through white) of at least 45" and its placement as near to your subject as possible ( while remaining outside the frame) will provide the softest light.thumb.gif
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    Wow, #4 is a masterpiece...simply perfect!

You guys got me on OCF...what exactly does that stand for?

Oh duh....is it "on-board camera flash"?

Anyway, you did a great job on these though I'm not crazy about the background on #1
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    I love the treatment on 3 thru 6. Would you like to share the pp? #4 also gets my vote. Very engaging expression. :D
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    I love the treatment on 3 thru 6. Would you like to share the pp? #4 also gets my vote. Very engaging expression. :D

I use a lot of actions from various people.

http://www.thecoffeeshopblog.com/p/coffeeshop-actions-and-presets.html

Pioneer woman is another. I really never have a set idea exactly, I just go with what I feel looks good. I also love to use free textures and apply them over the image.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Wow, #4 is a masterpiece...simply perfect!

You guys got me on OCF...what exactly does that stand for?

Oh duh....is it "on-board camera flash"?

Anyway, you did a great job on these though I'm not crazy about the background on #1

OCF= Off Camera Flash
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    Nice set! Really like #4! Is there some texture still on her face? If so, I think I'd mask it more on her face. Regarding OCF...I defer to Jeff!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography