Replies to Threads

SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
edited October 17, 2005 in Dgrin Forum Support
I just wanted to ask the Q. Why don't people reply to more threads?
Does anyone else find this site a little slow in this respect?

Now I am not just saying this because I may have an odd thread floating somewhere without reply. :rofl But it annoys me a little to see a thread may have been viewed 50 times and gets no reply. Especially in the shots section. I spent some time going through pages yesterday and posted a few replies to some 0 replies just to get them going.
By not doing so is not going to encourage the newbies (one myself) and won't really encourage the lurkers to de-lurk either.

Or is the whole thing just me? (it's a possibility!)

Do we have too many lurkers or too many lazy grinners? Is there favoritism to some posters and not so to others? it seems, especially on the challenge section that some threads go completely un noticed and others get lots of advice.

Could it be down to the amount of members signed up? (by the way how old is this site????) As when comparing it to other similar sites, the pace seems to move a little faster on them, however, these comparisons do seem to have more members.

Now, i don't want to come across all ungrateful or to upset anyone here, but it would be nice to see a little more activity on some threads. Am i the only one who thinks this way?

(now don't all rush at once to reply! ha. :rofl Truthfully I do like this site a lot.)

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2005
  • Techman1Techman1 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2005
    I don't know about the photo section, but my questions in the support area have been answered (replied to) very quickly.

I'm sure some people just like to look and don't care to comment. Some may just not want to comment because they may feel that their comments won't be taken well or that they feel they don't have enough experience to add anything. It's hard to say, but I know I'm pleased to have become a Smugmug member and look forward to the overall experience.

Have a great day!

Fred
  • SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2005
    andy wrote:

Now there's a smart one word answer. :):

Thanks for the link Andy.
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2005
    As for me, I hate to just post "great shot" over and over. Not to say I don't do that at all, but it generally has to be a very good shot to prompt me to do that. If it's an area I have special interest in, I try to reply. And if I happen to notice an "orphan" thread, I'll try to reply. But I hate to just be a cheerleader.
    edited September 7, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    As for me, I hate to just post "great shot" over and over. Not to say I don't do that at all, but it generally has to be a very good shot to prompt me to do that. If it's an area I have special interest in, I try to reply. And if I happen to notice an "orphan" thread, I'll try to reply. But I hate to just be a cheerleader.

I see your point, but consider the different levels of expectations and skill levels from people who are drawn to this site. There seems to be a wealth of expertise, but encouragement costs nothing but a few strains of finger muscle and the odd smiley. :D
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2005
    Ya know,working a full time job and taking photos in most of my free time,post processing,learning new techniques,uploading,druelling over new gear and posting a thread,I have very little time to reply.
    I do glance through a lot of threads here and if I see something that pops I will do a little (cheer leading)cheerleader.gif
    I try to vote in every challange even though I dont follow that much.
    My one gripe is that when a person gets a reply, they take the time to thank each and every poster causing it to go to the top for what seems foreverne_nau.gifLetting the newer post fall to the bottom.
    Just my nickels worth

:hide
    I do love you guys though:D
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2005
    SnapHappy wrote:
    I see your point, but consider the different levels of expectations and skill levels from people who are drawn to this site. There seems to be a wealth of expertise, but encouragement costs nothing but a few strains of finger muscle and the odd smiley. icon10.gif
    Yep, that's true. But if I and 4 others reply "nice shot cheerleader.gif " then the thread has 5 replies and someone else who actually has something to contribute may skip it to go look at an "orphan" thread. Also, I love replies to my posts but some mean more than others. When someone who rarely cheerleads compliments an image of mine, it means much more than it would from someone who cut-n-pastes "nice!" into every thread he reads.

I'm not trying to be difficult. Your points are well taken. nod.gif I just try to make myself happy with my photos, and if others like 'em too then great! If not, that's okay too. Just my opinion. ne_nau.gif
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    I try to vote in every challange even though I dont follow that much.
    My one gripe is that when a person gets a reply, they take the time to thank each and every poster causing it to go to the top for what seems foreverne_nau.gifLetting the newer post fall to the bottom.
    Just my nickels worth

Smile, just had to respond to this. I had just figured out that was a way to keep my threads at the top.
    And it makes it look more popular, too. Seriously, too, I do enjoy when someone responds to my response.

I really hate myself when I post a new thread, am all excited, then look around, respond to someone else's thread, thereby bumping it above mine. I do that more times! I keep thinking I am going to learn sometime!

I just responded to responders on my nature thread that I put up last night. I get behind in responding, I have to lump them all together, I do feel bad when I do that, and it is such a waste of possible bumps, but I did want to get to those people who were nice enough to comment. So I did one single response, myself, and one group response.

I am one who goes around saying, "nice photo", I do like that better than nothing on mine, so I do it.

What can I say..........??? Am so busy lately, and I am not getting to all. I do not work, this is work, but like yesterday. I was answering e-mails on other forums, then went pretty early to take photos, did some errands, came home, took care of dogs, then uploaded everything, checked it out. Answering e-mails at the same time. It was about 10 o'clock at night when I got through.

ginger (and I was/am tired.)

it says my message is too short??? hope this does it.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • RazRaz Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2005
    I kinda agree with John's gripe. A possible solution for this is to sort the posts according to the date of the original instead of the last reply. I know it's not the best for some of the forums, but I think I'd prefer it in the shots.

Raz
    "Each piece, or part, of the whole of nature is always merely an
    approximation to the complete truth..."

-- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

My Galleries
    Raz wrote:
    I kinda agree with John's gripe. A possible solution for this is to sort the posts according to the date of the original instead of the last reply. I know it's not the best for some of the forums, but I think I'd prefer it in the shots.

Raz
    I would like the orig poster in the subj line, or something.

I am trying now, or was, to respond individually, but I just don't take the time. It can help keep a photo high. And it makes the responder feel good, especially if it is a "name" poster. I tend to do group thanks a lot.

In fact, I had one that had sunk to the second page, I responded because it was important that I do, though I really was not doing it to bump it, not my intention, just a side effect. I was responding to someone who does not usually do nature, I just thought she had been so nice I should acknowledge it.

It got new life and went on to be commented on by lots of people who would not have seen it otherwise.

I don't have a solution.

ginger
  • RazRaz Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the "thank you"s. But everyone who is subscribed to the thread will get the reply by email.

I guess there are solutions to what you mentioned as well. If an older thread is replied to, it could be marked in some distinctive way, such as a special icon.

I find it more natural for the chronology to work by the original post. It actually took me a while to get used to the fact that older threads keep popping as new ones every time they are replied.

Raz
    "Each piece, or part, of the whole of nature is always merely an
    approximation to the complete truth..."

-- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

My Galleries
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    This is why I wish us regular folk would have access to the poll function.

It would be nice to set the poll up as a 1-5 star rating system and have those who don't like to post comments easily rate your pic to give you an overall idea on how it's viewed subjectively.

You can also add in each thread with a poll a request that anyone giving less than 3 stars to please state what they don't like and would change about the shot.

The Critique forum is nice, but it's limited to one thread per person a week and it serves a different pupose, full critique, where a poll function will give quick anonymous feedback.

So please, please please, give us this feature, or at least a reason why we can't have it.
    Khaos wrote:
    So please, please please, give us this feature, or at least a reason why we can't have it.

you can already set a poll on your thread.

you can also rate threads, 1-5 stars :D
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    andy wrote:

Both of these are WAY under used.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    I think you folks are making to much out of all this, sorry jus't do ne_nau.gif

Just let the forum flow....you know reply if you want, don't reply if you don't want to.....put the extra effort in your photo/art/life work and all will be well, honest :D

Don't get me wrong, I think everyone here has a validate point and that's my point this could go on infinitum.

Ok you can all tear me up now, I gotta go shot some pictures :lol4, see ya all in bit.
    edited September 22, 2005
    andy wrote:

Ack.

I finally scrolled down more and found it.

I'm used to most other boards that have, new thread or new poll, as the options.

Whoops.11doh.gif

I will incorporate more often now. I hope it helps to get a trend going.
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited September 22, 2005
    A valid concern Darren and one that I see posted at every forum I've ever been a part of rolleyes1.gif Including one forum where there are over 1,000,000 posts.

Like you I can't understand how pic threads can get 50 or more views, yet no one takes the time to comment ne_nau.gif It may be a little bit of all the reasons you listed. I know in my case I've been really busy at work and haven't had as much time to dedicate as I used too. Even worse, other than family events and during Andy's last visit, I haven't been able to get out to shoot any pics either :cry

When I do visit, I look for those threads where there hasn't been many repsonses and post to them. Worse case it bumps them up the forum :D

IMO, the only way this is going to get better (not that it will ever please everyone) is when we get more contributing members. Even though Dgrin is up to around 4500 members, only a few hundred have ever posted in the forums headscratch.gif Check the Member List yourself. Lots of 0's there. This site hasn't been online all that long. Yet there are over 18,500 threads and over 165,000 posts. That averages out to almost 9 posts/thread. Which isn't all that bad IMHO. I'm sure that doesn't make the poster who only gets 1 response any happier though.

I guess all we can do, for now, is to continue to do all we can ne_nau.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited September 23, 2005
    I am letting myself get in deep trouble. I have not been shooting birds........

So, I have not been looking at the nature thread much, a bit, but not much. And when I have looked, I have only had a chance to respond to a couple of people.

I am allowing all my contacts and good will to slip away. When I start with the shooting again, I will be lucky to get one look. Or maybe looks, but responses will be few.

The more one responds, the more one gets responded to, in general.

Suck up, people, suck up! Kiss *##.

Works, but i am tired, and that word assoc is so much fun right now.

ginger
  • Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    Opinions PLEASE..
    Hi All,

Since I am one of the people who has greatly cut down on responding due to a physical problem and the very limited time I can be at the keyboard; I have many times wished that there was a more automate, generic way to respond to let folks know I viewed their photo..that I liked it..good job..with the option to comment if I want to. Typically I post a shot in a particular forum because I am pleased with how it came out, and the theme of the shot fits into the themed forum..so I am sharing a common interest.

How would it be received if I were to use a created response...in my signature..
    like this:

"I like it! thumb.gif ,Trish."

This way I could let a person know that I viewed their work, I can use a mouse click instead of keybord...saves lots of time..and leaves me more keyboard time to respond a bit more in depth when I am moved to do so.

Would you be offended or pleased by this responsene_nau.gif
    Trish323 wrote:
    Hi All,

How would it be received if I were to use a created response...in my signature..
    like this:

"I like it! thumb.gif ,Trish."

This way I could let a person know that I viewed their work, I can use a mouse click instead of keybord...saves lots of time..and leaves me more keyboard time to respond a bit more in depth when I am moved to do so.

Would you be offended or pleased by this responsene_nau.gif
    I would be very happy with it!

I know that is what I am getting a lot of the time anyway. And it is what I am giving a lot of the time.

I just am happy I did/was there/whatever, and I want to share the perfect/imperfect/experience with others. Your response would be very good with that. Better than being ignored. I don't mind the "nice photo" responses, as much as I do the "it would have been nice if..........". All I am doing is sharing.

Now if I ask you a question, that is different. I still would not mind the thumbs up, if that is all you have time for. But if someone has time to answer the question, I can take the criticism on that aspect of the photo fine. Otherwise, your thumbs up would work fine.

(On the photo of Bill in the people thread, I don't want anyone to think I minded constructive criticism on that: I knew I had messed up and kind of implied it. One of these fine days I will try to fix it.)

But an auto thumbs up would be fine with me, Trish.

(How do you do that???? I would set mine, too. MY PC, I mean.)

Hey, don't you all find a thumbs down icon and add it to the mix, smile.

ginger
    A valid concern Darren and one that I see posted at every forum I've ever been a part of rolleyes1.gif Including one forum where there are over 1,000,000 posts.

Like you I can't understand how pic threads can get 50 or more views, yet no one takes the time to comment ne_nau.gif It may be a little bit of all the reasons you listed. I know in my case I've been really busy at work and haven't had as much time to dedicate as I used too. Even worse, other than family events and during Andy's last visit, I haven't been able to get out to shoot any pics either :cry

When I do visit, I look for those threads where there hasn't been many repsonses and post to them. Worse case it bumps them up the forum :D

IMO, the only way this is going to get better (not that it will ever please everyone) is when we get more contributing members. Even though Dgrin is up to around 4500 members, only a few hundred have ever posted in the forums headscratch.gif Check the Member List yourself. Lots of 0's there. This site hasn't been online all that long. Yet there are over 18,500 threads and over 165,000 posts. That averages out to almost 9 posts/thread. Which isn't all that bad IMHO. I'm sure that doesn't make the poster who only gets 1 response any happier though.

I guess all we can do, for now, is to continue to do all we can ne_nau.gif

Steve

Thanks Steve, I think you are probably right. The site will constantly improve with maturity.

I do sometimes look out for the threads that got away and sometimes try to breath a little life back into them. Do we have a feature on the site (a linky) where it would bring up threads without reply?

Possibly a Quick reply function at the end of the thread would encourage some people further. Just a thought, i have seen these on some other VBulletin forums.

Trish, I think your idea would be good too.

:D:D:):
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I am letting myself get in deep trouble. I have not been shooting birds........
    eekers.gif
    So, I have not been looking at the nature thread much, a bit, but not much. And when I have looked, I have only had a chance to respond to a couple of people.

I am allowing all my contacts and good will to slip away. When I start with the shooting again, I will be lucky to get one look. Or maybe looks, but responses will be few.
    Nah, you have lots of credits in reserve. We still love ya.

The more one responds, the more one gets responded to, in general.
    nod.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    Khaos wrote:
    Ack.

I finally scrolled down more and found it.

I'm used to most other boards that have, new thread or new poll, as the options.

Whoops.11doh.gif

I will incorporate more often now. I hope it helps to get a trend going.
    clap.gif Fantastic. I've used it just once and some very good insight and debate arose about the pic I posted. I really hope more people start using this function. It seems to allow different views to come forth more where before usually only one line praise happened.
  • fotonutfotonut Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    Hi folks, wave.gif

Just want to say even tho I am new here, I have belonged to a couple of other forums & this very same thing was discussed. So it seems inevitable that it's going to happen, especially when there are so many members. One way that was suggested to help the newbies feel more comfortable was that the regulars, who were interested & had the extra time, included a short note in their sigs that said they would be happy to help any newbies with questions or situations via pm's. It isn't as daunting to ask something you might think would sound stupid to others in private, than to have no one reply & make you feel REALLY silly & then you probably would be too shy to post again.
    As far as people viewing but not replying, it is possible that nobody is interested enough to make a comment, or they may be pressed for time & trying to at least read all the new posts from a couple of days, which does take quite a bit of time. I have been here since about 9am & have been trying to see & read as many recent posts as possible but it is already 9pm & I have only posted twice! So, people need to realize that they aren't the only ones posting, & shouldn't be offended if there isnt a response right away, or at all.
    Possibly a disclaimer with a permanent sticky welcoming newcomers as the first thread, to not feel bad if they aren't replied to right away....

Something I was quite a bit surprised about this forum is that there isn't a permanent thread for newbies to post a hello to introduce themselves, with a little background if they want to share. Sort of like a casual pub(The Dirty Grin Pub) or coffee house where the topic is not just photography techniques or critiques. It's a great icebreaker, & helps everyone loosen up & get to know each other a little better, besides just the oldies(figuratively speaking of course!) who have been around & aren't as shy.

Oh, & also, I haven't found a general 'Suggestion' box either. ne_nau.gif
    (just a suggestion, of course
    :): )

beer.gif
    (hope I haven't been too ballsy for being just a newbie.... :sweet )
    Salud!
    Lin

~Life is a journey, enjoy the ride... YEEEEEHAW!!!
    (don't forget your camera!)~

ellethomas.smugmug.com
    edited October 16, 2005
    fotonut wrote:

Something I was quite a bit surprised about this forum is that there isn't a permanent thread for newbies to post a hello to introduce themselves, with a little background if they want to share.

Oh, & also, I haven't found a general 'Suggestion' box either. ne_nau.gif
    (just a suggestion, of course
    :): )

beer.gif
    (hope I haven't been too ballsy for being just a newbie.... :sweet )

wave.gif welcome fotonut :D

take a look here please we have all the intro-to-dgrin stuff as a sticky right here in this forum... i also put that link in my sig.

love your suggestion about the suggestion box, i'll make one up right now

okay, here it is, the dgrin suggestion box lol3.gif

thumb.gif thanks for posting!
  • fotonutfotonut Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2005
    :uhoh 11doh.gif :tiptoe :hide Well, THANKS Andy for gettin back to me so quickly, is my face red? :nah rolleyes1.gif (couldn't find one for embarrassed....but it could be there & I just overlooked it, ....ahem... :): ) I'm sorry I didn't realize those 2 threads were for newbie intros, especially the 'show your mug' since if you are too shy to post words I would imagine you'd be a bit nervous about showing your real face.....which, obviously I am not :D ! And the delurking one really just talks about noobs posting their pics, questions & comments, as part of a contest ., or so it seemed to me....plus it is hidden waaaaaay down here & many people may not get down this far......(are you gritting & gnashing your teeth yet?)
    Am I being a pain in the :moon (buttocks) ? Am I :deadhorse ?
    Sorry if I am being annoying, I am not trying to tell you how to run your forum, these really were all just things that pooped into my head as I was feeling my way around. :lurk
    I guess maybe I should post a poll to see if any other people felt a bit lost in cyberspace when they first came here, & then that would give you a better idea of whether it's just me or if it is or has affected other peeps.
    In my own defense tho, let me just say I DID read the rules & terms :):

And finally, Thank you for adding the suggestion box, I hope it will prove to be useful to the admins....and yes, I will be posting there soon! mwink.gif And in other threads as well... :curtsey

Have a great day & Thanx again! thumb.gif
    Salud!
    Lin

~Life is a journey, enjoy the ride... YEEEEEHAW!!!
    (don't forget your camera!)~

ellethomas.smugmug.com