how to take group photos at 2.8

hook78chook78c Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited October 27, 2010 in Technique
I have seen photographer post photos groups taken at 2.8 how is this possible keeping everyone sharp? here is an example? it would seem like the tall boy standing up would not be in focus. what am i missing?

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    hook78c wrote: »
    I have seen photographer post photos groups taken at 2.8 how is this possible keeping everyone sharp? here is an example? it would seem like the tall boy standing up would not be in focus. what am i missing?

You can not keep everyone sharp. You can try to step back and use a wider focal length to give the appearance of being sharper though out the image.

I just went through this for two evenings photographing groups at night in a dark restaurant, and courtyard.

You can only do so much.

Sam
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 27, 2010
    Collage perhaps? Photoshopped, perhaps? You have examples? Small images on line may appear sharp online, but I'll bet in real life the image is obviously not in focus all over.

I would not shoot a group at smaller apertures - say smaller than f5.6 - because someone will always be out of focus. Trust me on this. I bet Sam will agree.

If you very carefully place folks on a stairs, or maybe a bicycle velodrome track, and the elevate the camera on a platform, so that all heads are exactly the same distance from the camera, you might pull it off; but you will need a lot of patient, very highly motivated people. Most subjects are just not this interested or willing to help.

I think it is a prescription for disaster, but that is just my opinion. It is worth exactly what you paid for it!thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • hook78chook78c Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    Pathfinder & Sam,
    Sorry once again I didn't notice my links weren't working. Here was the photo I was referring to.http://www.bethjansenphotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/A6.jpg This is a photographer I found through PhotoVision. I was curious what her settings were and discovered her aperture was set to 2.8.
    Of course this is online so we don't know if they are truly sharp. but how could she sell this if it wasn't?
    I only ask because I am trying to decide between getting a 70-200mm 4.0 or a 24-70 2.8 and I'm not sure if I need the 2.8 since I was under the impression that you could only go that low for single subjects.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    If you can keep them still long enough, try a Focus Stack! thumb.gif:D

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited October 27, 2010
    The image you linked to has all three on a pretty similar plane. This can look pretty good without to much effort.

Here is one shot taken in the real world. I had 6 dinners with candid, and group shots. One group was dinning in a REAL cave! You couldn't read the menus without putting it next to the candle on the table. While they were willing to run outside, but only stayed for two quick shots. So basically ya get maybe 30m seconds to dial in your setting and take the shot.

This was taken at ISO 1600, f5.6, and a shutter speed of 1/60, with one on camera 580 EX flash.

This is far from perfect but about the best I can do.
    Sam
    edited October 27, 2010
    With event photography you can only do what you can do. You need to learn how to squeeze out the most you can. Large apertures and high ISO will allow you to get a shoot not otherwise possible, but you can't expect miracles.

The best use of large apertures is when you want to isolate your subject, like this.

Sam