Printmark question

Bird LadyBird Lady Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
Now I have, :cry another issue - ho[pefully the final one - printmarks.
Per the SmugMug instructions, I followed the watermark tutorial, made the transparent image at 1500 x 200 pixels at 72ppi, even made my font as big as 180. But the watermark still shows up teeny-tiny when I try to create the actual printmark. I want it to fit on large prints AND merchandise such as mugs. Any ideas? Or is it a bug?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    In Photoshop, select the signature, then use Image>Crop to remove all that extra space you've got in your file.
  • Bird LadyBird Lady Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    In Photoshop, select the signature, then use Image>Crop to remove all that extra space you've got in your file.

Thank you, Andy. Such a simple solution - I didn't think of it last night. What is the ideal printmark height for everything from mugs to 20 x 30-inch prints? I read somewhere you said at least 1500 in length but the post didn't specify height.
    edited October 31, 2010
    Hi, there is no 'ideal' it's really up to you!
    edited October 31, 2010
    Hi, there is no 'ideal' it's really up to you!

Hi, Andy:

Related to that, when creating a printmark in Photoshop Elements 8, after choosing transparent, height and width, should the resolution be 72 or 300? I'm wondering aboutg that In terms of the clearest printing on a variety of prints and products?

Thanks!
    edited October 31, 2010
    DPI is not important. Pixels matter. Here's what I use:

988035954_HKiRb-X2.png

it's 482x139 pixels and seems to work well for my purposes thumb.gif
    edited October 31, 2010
    DPI is not important. Pixels matter. Here's what I use:

988035954_HKiRb-X2.png

it's 482x139 pixels and seems to work well for my purposes thumb.gif

My confusion: I've read here to make the printmark's "longest side" at least 1500 pixels, yet you are showing 482? Also, a number has to be entered under "resolution" in Photoshop (after height and width) to create a transparent file. I know you know what you're talking about - but, sorry, I'm missing something!

Thanks!
    edited October 31, 2010
    OK, make your document in photoshop 1500 pixels by say, 300 pixels.
    edited October 31, 2010
  • greggergregger Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    Just a related question here:
    I was thinking about doing a printmark, and have been reading all sorts of discussions about the merits of watermarking in general.

Are people using different printmarks and watermarks? Like using a copyright in the watermark, and the making the printmark simpler and less intrusive?

Thanks for your input!
  • DragonFly007DragonFly007 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2011
    gregger wrote: »
    Just a related question here:
    I was thinking about doing a printmark, and have been reading all sorts of discussions about the merits of watermarking in general.

Are people using different printmarks and watermarks? Like using a copyright in the watermark, and the making the printmark simpler and less intrusive?

Thanks for your input!

I am wondering if there is a step by step guide to design a printmark of my signature for prints before I oder in print, any help will be appreciated. I have PS5
    All photos are also downloadable on my SmugMug site for as low as $1.99 ... enjoy !!!
    Give us a "Like" Facebook Page & Feel free to post your Photos ...http://www.facebook.com/pages/Captured-Without-Limits-Photography/123314507744381?sk=wallJoin Facebook