Options

Maybe a very stupid question

FotobyMoMoFotobyMoMo Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
edited October 31, 2010 in Weddings
I see a lot of wedding shots use + EC and I wanted to know is this something done from camera or is it being done through Camera Raw? Would one be better than other? Such as, doing it from camera would be better than to do it through PP? :dunno
www.fotobymomo.com | www.facebook.com/fotobymomo

Gear List: Canon 5D Mm2 | T1i (backup) | 16-35 2.8L | 27-200 2.8L Mk2 | 24-105 4L | Sigma 85mm 1.4 | Canon 580ex flash

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    It's not a stupid question. Most of this is done via a tilt shift dedicated lens.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2010
    It's not a stupid question. Most of this is done via a tilt shift dedicated lens.

Well, that's the thing, it's being done with a 24-105 4L lens or a 50mm 1.4 or 1.2 lens or even a 70-200 lens

Reading a lot of EXIFs it seems as people are simply moving the exposure to the right. Jut not sure if it's straight from camera or from PP

Gear List: Canon 5D Mm2 | T1i (backup) | 16-35 2.8L | 27-200 2.8L Mk2 | 24-105 4L | Sigma 85mm 1.4 | Canon 580ex flash
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    FotobyMoMo wrote: »
    Well, that's the thing, it's being done with a 24-105 4L lens or a 50mm 1.4 or 1.2 lens or even a 70-200 lens

Reading a lot of EXIFs it seems as people are simply moving the exposure to the right. Jut not sure if it's straight from camera or from PP

The EXIF data is the camera info. Has nothing to do with tilt shift.

Sam
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    The EXIF data is the camera info. Has nothing to do with tilt shift.

Sam

I'm confused now. The EXIF data tells you what camera and lens is being used. Wouldn't it say if it was a tilt shift lens if it was? headscratch.gif

• Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010

Just wondering why you mentioned the TS lens for +EC...am I wrong...or is the OP talking about added exposure compensation?
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2010
    Ed yes, I am speaking of added exposure. I like that look, when you have the bright image look for weddings. But I wasn't sure if they were taking the images like that or simply doing it during post production

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    Most weddings have a big white dress in the scene:D which tends to throw off the "smart" camera meter which is programmed to expose everything as 18% grey. So +EC allows consistent "overexposure" of the metered scene in camera, which should yield in a properly exposed white dress and not a "grey" one.

+EC in camera will require more light (in the form of slower shutter speed or wider aperture). So if you have enough light, go for it in camera for the highest quality image. If not, you are choosing between boosting ISO in camera and boosting exposure in PP, I have seen many debate but personally I don't see much of a difference. They both add some grain.

FotoMoMo...it seems you are new to this and I would strongly recommend learning the basics of exposure and lighting (Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure was my bible the first year of dSLRing) as attempting to "reverse engineer" from others wedding EXIF shots might not be the best investment of your time. Best of luck and keep posting!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    NOT a stupid question at all...........

for me EC has always meant EXPOSURE COMPENSATION.......which yes a lot of photographers
    use a lot...and it does seem to make better photos if the exposure is just a bit right of dead center....
    most of the time dead center exposure makes for flat photos with no snap pop poof or whatever you want
    to call it......

Tilt Shift lens are normally used for Landscape and Architecture photography
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited October 28, 2010
    Maybe Ted only had one cup of coffee today, we'll give him a free pass...this time!!! mwink.gifrofl
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2010
    urbanaries wrote: »
    Maybe Ted only had one cup of coffee today, we'll give him a free pass...this time!!! mwink.gifrofl

Yeah. One cup. I was thinking about nikon's tilt shift lens. Lol
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2010
    Yeah. One cup. I was thinking about nikon's tilt shift lens. Lol

WTH! Are their ads getting to you after all? BE STRONG!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2010
    urbanaries wrote: »
    WTH! Are their ads getting to you after all? BE STRONG!

These emails!! D: I must be strong!!

[Sorry, FotobyMomo, I was totally thinking about Nikon's tiltshift lens when reading the thread. :( ]
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2010
    Thanks guys. I am reading this one book about wedding photography and soon as I'm done I'll start reading the book mentioned above. A lot of people mention that book and at least see that name come up every other day in different forums Laughing.gif

So I grabbed the wife and went to do some practice outside and shot in AV mode with EC and here are couple results I got

74370_10150311608905226_882565225_15618012_8322827_n.jpg

and this one is intentionally done to over expose which maybe too much but I wanted to get this look, may not work for some (sorry in advance)

73699_10150311689415226_882565225_15618922_7418898_n.jpg

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    Exposure compensation is overrated, in my opinion. If you need something other than what the light meter is automatically giving you, maybe it's time to shoot in manual mode. I use aperture priority a lot, and I use manual exposure mode a lot. I use matrix (evaluative) metering a lot, and I use spot metering a lot. Sometimes when I'm completely NUTS, I'll combine spot metering and aperture priority, which requires serious metering and focus point skills.

However, even with all this OCD control, I hardly ever use +/- compensation. Maybe only a little, if I'm shooting a backlit situation using center-weighted metering. Otherwise, if I'm going to disobey my camera's light meter, I'm going to do it in manual mode.

I LOVE low-key and high-key images, which would be the equivalent to negative and positive compensation, but I'd bet that 99.9% of the time, I'm doing so in manual mode, and not fiddling with the +/- button...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum