d60

What should I do...

A - Sell the d60 and buy the d7000
B - Sell everything and buy the d700 with a new lens
C - Wait for the upgrade for the d700

Comments

• insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    If you have to ask, you may want to stick with the D7000 or D3100 area.
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    no opinion, but you can keep the 50 1.8 for the D700 :) I presume the other three are DX lenses.

Mostly, no one here can really give a useful recommendation without knowing what it is you shoot, what you want to shoot, what situations (low light? speed?), for fun, professionally, weddings, sports, wildlife, and what limitations you find with the D60. Knowing that, the folks here can give you a LOT more incredible advice :) I know people for whom the D7000 will be perfect, others who need the D700. But it depends entirely on what they shoot and for what purposes.
    //Leah
  • thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    well, the D800 should be announced in the next 4 months. You will probably have to wait an additional month or two before you have it in your hands. That's what I'm going to do. My D80 can hold out until then. nod.gif
    edited October 29, 2010
    4 months? I'm thinking 14 months....
    //Leah
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    The D700 is one AMAZING camera. I just sold mine :) dont have an input on the D7000.. but the D700 is worth it. Especially since you can get them used for like $1900!

Like the others said. We can't make a "true" suggestion for YOU without knowing what you shoot, and what you want to shoot.
    Jer
  • PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    If you want to upgrade, but want to keep costs down, you can look at a used D90. The upgrade is amazing and cost should be low enough so you can use your compliment of lenses and get a camera you can grow into.
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • mtpphotosmtpphotos Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    Thanks everyone. At this point it is purely a hobby. The idea of making money or specific shooting at this point is only a dream.
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    The D7000s suposed low light performance made me think about getting it to replace my 300s. And for the money it sounds impressive. But I have yet to see examples at really high ISO.

With your lens kit right now I would consider spending less money on a body and more money on glass. If you want full frame get lenses that are full frame compatible. In the end it is the glass that makes a shot. The only exeption is very high ISO shots.
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    Zerodog wrote: »
    The D7000s suposed low light performance made me think about getting it to replace my 300s. And for the money it sounds impressive. But I have yet to see examples at really high ISO.

With your lens kit right now I would consider spending less money on a body and more money on glass. If you want full frame get lenses that are full frame compatible. In the end it is the glass that makes a shot. The only exeption is very high ISO shots.

There are a few quickie shots on Thom Hogan's site, but only at 3200 (equivalent to max non-boosted ISO on D90/D300s: D7k has up to 6400 base plus HI-2 of 25600.). He says it's the best low light performance of any crop sensor camera he's ever tested. He doesn't yet have his full review up, in which I hope he'll post shots from the max ISO range. He also says specifically that it's no D700, and certainly no D3s, but very good for DX.

Given that it's the same physical size as the D90, I will wait for the D400 (and probably will hold onto my D300 until the D500 comes out, realistically). I don't use my D90 very much anymore, but it just doesn't feel as right as the D300 does, now that I'm used to the larger body.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
    edited October 29, 2010
    Cab,

Confused. I understand people's preferences, but the D7K seems to be better in almost every aspect over the D300. What is the one feature that makes the D300 your favorite?

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
    edited October 29, 2010
    Cab,

Confused. I understand people's preferences, but the D7K seems to be better in almost every aspect over the D300. What is the one feature that makes the D300 your favorite?

It's not one feature, it's actually a lot. Mostly in build quality, physical size, and customizability (is that a word?).

I have a D90, which I like a lot and LOVED before I got my D300. Now that I'm used to the D300, including the larger size and (IMO) better ergonomics, when I pick up the D90, it feels small and awkward in my hands. The D7k, sizewise, appears to be identical to the D90. The D300 just "feels right" in my hands while the D90 does not. So I'm assuming (and we know what happens when one assumes) that I can get an idea of what the D7k feels like in the hands by simply picking up my D90. Not bad at all, but I much prefer the D300.

In this post: (http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1461847&postcount=16) I went into detail about the current D300/D300s specs vs. the D7k. As you can see, there are several specs where the older camera still is "better" than the new one. Obviously the D7k has many improvements, mostly in the sensor which is definitely a HUGE step forward. I believe that the D400 will include the same or tweaked sensor as the D7k as well as the myriad things that currently differentiate the D300 from the D90. I like having a dedicated "AF-ON" button, for instance. Yes, the AE-L/AF-L button can be programmed to be AF-ON, but I already use both thumb buttons that I have on the back of the D300, so I'd be down one control right there. The AF system in D7k is improved over the D90, but still seemingly not as advanced as in the D300. I would like the new metering system, but the one in the D300 doesn't suck. Would I like having more "see in the dark" abilities at higher ISO? Sure, but for what I do, I'm not limited by the D300.

Don't get me wrong, the D7k looks like a VERY GOOD camera. It is a definite advance in technology over the D90, and in many ways over the D300/D300s as well. Just, to me and for what I shoot, the sensor improvements would likely make little to no difference. I tend not to go over ISO 800, and stay at 200 whenever possible. I do not care in the slightest about video. 16 vs. 12 MP is really not a huge difference in reality. 4928x3264 vs. 4288x2848 is an increase by 320 on each side and 208 on the top/bottom. IMO, that's not an enormous difference. Sure, you can crop more, but I have never felt limited by 12.

Plus, of course, there is money. I have already put as much as I feasibly can into my hobby for the time being. And since there's not a thing wrong with either of my cameras, if I were going to spend ~$1k on something new right now, it would be glass.

Realistically for me, I hope to continue using my D300 for the next few years or until I am truly limited somehow by its ability. At my stage of photographic talent, I expect the camera will physically fall apart before I outgrow it. There are people still using older bodies and making great images, even though the new stuff is way "better." My camera(s) are not suddenly crap because there is a newer model on the market. What I want to do is read reviews, get excited about technology's path forward, be excited for people who get and love the D7k, but continue to shoot and enjoy what I have.

What gets me excited about the D7k is the new sensor and other fancy bits, and what that implies about the D300 replacement, simply b/c I prefer that body in general use. I expect that my D300 will last just fine for the next few years, and I'm just guessing that around the time the D500 (or whatever they call it in the new nomenclature system) is released, that's probably when I'll be ready (financially if not talent-wise) for a new body.

Don't take any of this in any way as an indictment of those who are upgrading or itching to do so. As I said, the D7k looks awesome, it's just not so much amazingly better than what I have for me to get excited about new gear. I'm very satisfied (and then some) with what I have. iloveyou.gif
    My site 365 Project
    edited October 29, 2010
    Cab,

No Problem, I was just asking your opinion regarding the differences between the 2. I just wanted the impression of someone who clearly likes the D300 and for the time being prefers that over the D7K.

Isn't the sensor of the D7K a crop version of the D3s with a little more megapixels?

-- Abraham Lincoln
    edited October 29, 2010
    Isn't the sensor of the D7K a crop version of the D3s with a little more megapixels?

No. The advantage of FX (24x36mm = 864 mm^2) is that since it is physically so much larger than DX (16x24mm = 384 mm^2), the sensor elements can also be physically larger. The larger sensels are what contribute to FX having much superior noise performance.

If you just hacked it up to the right dimensions in order to create a "crop" version of the D3s sensor, it would only have 384/864 = 44.4% of the area (and thus sensels) that are on the FX sensor. That is why DX mode on FX bodies has such low resolution. A crop version of the D3s sensor would have 12 * 0.44 = 5.33MP. In order to add more sensels, you have to make them much smaller, and since D7k has 16MP, they'd have to be 1/3 the size of the D3s sensels in order to fit that many on a DX sensor.

So while I have no idea on the actual device physics of the D3s or the D7k sensors, they are certainly not "the same just DX size." There may be many of the same technologies going into their fabrication, but the elements themselves are much larger on the FX chip as they would be on the DX chip, and therefore the sensors might be related, but they are certainly not the same.
    My site 365 Project
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    The d300 still has a superior AF system and more "buttons" for things like choosing single focus point which is still menu driven in teh D90 and D7000. The sensor in the D7000 has been reported to be about 1 stop better in ISO then the D300 which is still about 1 stop worse then the D700.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited October 29, 2010
    back to the original poster, I'd say go for the D7000 OR a used D300 since there are plenty of those used out there. then use the rest of the $$ for better glass when you can afford it. Should be a more-than-superb combination for a happy hobby.
    //Leah
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    The D300s uses CF cards, the D7000 only the SD series. I would like to eventually upgrade my D200 (when I have the ca$h), but I have a large stock of CF cards and would hate to have to switch to a postage stamp sized card (which could get easily lost).
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    I just switched from canon 1DIIn to a d700. It's a FANTASTIC camera. If you can afford it go for it. You won't regret it. As good as the d7k is it's still not in the same league as the d700.
    Gene
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2010
    Yo mtpphotos,
    I seriously recommend keeping your D60 and getting some glass. Like a 24-70 if you can afford it, or some nice primes, or sell your 55-200 for a 70-200. I mean, the D60 with a 24-70 is going to take better photos (except in low light) than a D700 or D7000 with a 50 1.8.
    The D300s uses CF cards, the D7000 only the SD series. I would like to eventually upgrade my D200 (when I have the ca$h), but I have a large stock of CF cards and would hate to have to switch to a postage stamp sized card (which could get easily lost).

Yes, I use both in my 1DII and much prefer the CFs. The SDs are flimsy; they feel llike you can just snap them in half. The CFs are way more durable; there have been stories about them going through the dryer (do not try this at home!).
    edited October 30, 2010
    My ultimate set up would be the 24-70 with the d700. I guess it is the chicken before the egg situation.

I am renting renting the 70-200 this weekend...and this thing is to heavy for any practical use.

I initially liked the idea of the d7k because of the movie mode, but I question the practical use. Although it is something to consider since I have two young children that I will want to record.
    edited October 31, 2010
    The 70-200 is a standard lens. If that feels heavy slap that on the D700. Then you are getting up there. If you are weight sensitive, maybe the D7000 is a good choice. All of the Pro Nikon lenses are tanks. The 24-70 is no lightweight either. There is a big difference in weight and size when you bump up to the high end glass.
    edited October 31, 2010
    if weight sensitive, then also suggest finding the VR I version of the 70-200, as it's a bit less than the VR II newer version. And really? I don't think the VRII is THAT big of a difference, but some disagree. VRI is pretty awesome and has been for years.
    //Leah
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    decisions...
    I posted up a mini review of the D7000 on my blog that you might find useful. As for my .02, if you're going to dump everything, the D700 is a fantastic upgrade as far as low light capture and speed. Do bear in mind however that moving to a full frame body is going to change things for you dramatically. Your lens selection moving forward will be geared towards pro glass rather than consumer grade glass which equates to a greater long term investment.

Full disclosure, I don't have a D700. I do have 2) D3 and 2) D7000 bodies though. They both fit into different uses for me. I like video and the D7000 trumps any other video capable DSLR that Nikon currently produces.

The soonest I'd expect a replacement for the D700 is early next year. It will likely be a couple hundred $ more expensive than the D700 is now.

1) If you're waiting for full frame, don't care about video, and am willing to plunk down some dough, pickup a new/used D700 now.

2) If you've got the itch for some new gear, don't shoot much in low light, and want video, get the D7000 and you'll be one happy camper.

3) If you're waiting for full frame, do want video, and am willing to plunk down even more dough, wait for the D700 replacement.
    mtpphotos wrote: »
    I currently have the following

18-55
    55-200
    35 1.8
    50 1.8
    d60

What should I do...

A - Sell the d60 and buy the d7000
    B - Sell everything and buy the d700 with a new lens
    C - Wait for the upgrade for the d700
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    Zerodog wrote: »
    The 70-200 is a standard lens. If that feels heavy slap that on the D700. Then you are getting up there. If you are weight sensitive, maybe the D7000 is a good choice. All of the Pro Nikon lenses are tanks. The 24-70 is no lightweight either. There is a big difference in weight and size when you bump up to the high end glass.

I think that the 24-70 feels fine on a D700 and D7000. The Nikon 70-200 feels completely unbalanced on the D7000 when shooting handheld.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
    edited November 2, 2010
    Thank you everyone. This weekend I was able to rent the 12-24 dx and the 70-200 vrII for a total of $60. This weekend was a great experience to see how much glass plays apart in the picture quality.
    edited November 3, 2010
    So? What do you think? Makes a huge difference doesn't it.
    edited November 10, 2010
    Picked up the d7k (love living close to www.mpex.com ) Now I need to decide which lens to pick up. That is tough to decide when I can rent a 24-70 2.8 for $25.