25th Anniversary Party

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited October 29, 2010 in People
Ok, so if you've read my "Oh Sh** Moment" thread you would have seen that I have an event coming up next weekend. This thread is about the photography aspect of it. Not the "not having a camera to shoot it" aspect :rofl

Its in a ball room, 5pm-9pm, 50-60 guests, I'm assuming the room will be "well" lit (meaning the overhead florescent lights will be on), live band, dancing, etc.. FUN! I dont know a whole lot about it because the client did not contact me directly, it was a friend of mine who's also friends with them that called. They're doctors. Thats why I'm not turning it down even though I have gear issues atm. I need to have them as clients. It'll finally get me into the higher end clientele vs the mid-low crowd.

What I have to work with: 135 f/2L, 50 f/1.4, (2) AB800's, Vegabond II, 580EXII, wireless flash triggers and HOPEFULLY a 5DMKII (if Canon get's any refurbs in by next week) - if not I'm borrowing my friend's XSI (lame :cry)

Now, what I was planning on doing was having the AB800's w/ standard reflectors setup near the dance floor, (assuming there will be an area for that) one on each side either pointed at the crowd or up at the ceiling (not sure which would be best here because I've seen photogs do it both ways). 580EXII on camera bouncing off walls and ceiling for soft light. I might try Jeff's Light Stick idea.. I just dont have a light sphere, it'll be a cheap, off brand, sto-fen diffuser.

I plan on shooting details of everything prior to the party starting, they mentioned they wanted a group shot of everybody, and then candids/details throughout the party. I'm going to shoot the event as though I'm going to make an album. Thats going to be a MAJOR product I'm going to push.

I dont have a ton of experience as an event shooter, but I did shoot two weddings this year, so I'm basically gonna treat it like a reception.

Any advice/pointers/examples/stories?
Jer

Comments

• ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    Ok, so if you've read my "Oh Sh** Moment" thread you would have seen that I have an event coming up next weekend. This thread is about the photography aspect of it. Not the "not having a camera to shoot it" aspect rolleyes1.gif

Its in a ball room, 5pm-9pm, 50-60 guests, I'm assuming the room will be "well" lit (meaning the overhead florescent lights will be on), live band, dancing, etc.. FUN! I dont know a whole lot about it because the client did not contact me directly, it was a friend of mine who's also friends with them that called. They're doctors. Thats why I'm not turning it down even though I have gear issues atm. I need to have them as clients. It'll finally get me into the higher end clientele vs the mid-low crowd.

What I have to work with: 135 f/2L, 50 f/1.4, (2) AB800's, Vegabond II, 580EXII, wireless flash triggers and HOPEFULLY a 5DMKII (if Canon get's any refurbs in by next week) - if not I'm borrowing my friend's XSI (lame :cry)

Now, what I was planning on doing was having the AB800's w/ standard reflectors setup near the dance floor, (assuming there will be an area for that) one on each side either pointed at the crowd or up at the ceiling (not sure which would be best here because I've seen photogs do it both ways). 580EXII on camera bouncing off walls and ceiling for soft light. I might try Jeff's Light Stick idea.. I just dont have a light sphere, it'll be a cheap, off brand, sto-fen diffuser.

I plan on shooting details of everything prior to the party starting, they mentioned they wanted a group shot of everybody, and then candids/details throughout the party. I'm going to shoot the event as though I'm going to make an album. Thats going to be a MAJOR product I'm going to push.

I dont have a ton of experience as an event shooter, but I did shoot two weddings this year, so I'm basically gonna treat it like a reception.

Any advice/pointers/examples/stories?

You may not want to treat it as a "right gear" post, but it certainly needs to be considered if you're not sure if your main body is an XSi or a 5dMkII - there's a big difference - crop .vs. full, fair .vs. excellent noise, etc.

If you're not completely confident with your gear and adapting to shooting in unknown situations, I would strongly suggest doing as much homework in advance. You couldn't pay me enough to walk into an unknown event blind with an unknown camera - you can just as easily shoot your way out of the higher-end clientele with a poor reputation if you don't deliver.
    And for what my opinion's worth, I'd bite the bullet and rent the 5dMkII before borrowing the XSI for an event like that.

Also, if you set up your strobes pointing at the dance floor, you're going to be setting yourself up for some difficult lighting - crossing shadows, shadows cast by other people, etc. You would be much better off using them as general room lights - bouncing them either off the ceiling or higher walls. If you need any focused or directed lighting, then use your speedlight, either on or off camera. You might also need to consider gelling your lights to match the ambient room lighting. Failure to do so could result in some serious white balance problems.

The event will probably be very much like a wedding reception - where all of these same issues also apply...

Good luck.
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    You may not want to treat it as a "right gear" post, but it certainly needs to be considered if you're not sure if your main body is an XSi or a 5dMkII - there's a big difference - crop .vs. full, fair .vs. excellent noise, etc.
    I dont want to treat it as a camera post because that's exactly what the Oh Sh** Moment thread is about. I wanted to keep the topics separate.
    Also, if you set up your strobes pointing at the dance floor, you're going to be setting yourself up for some difficult lighting - crossing shadows, shadows cast by other people, etc. You would be much better off using them as general room lights - bouncing them either off the ceiling or higher walls. If you need any focused or directed lighting, then use your speedlight, either on or off camera.
    Had the same thoughts.

As for the white balance - I do have an expodisc.. so much of the white balance issues shouldn't be a problem.
    Jer
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    if you can get your 5dmk2..really is no need for the off camera lighting with a 580. The only need for it would be if you set up and area for posed shots imo. It may just get in the way.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited October 29, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    if you can get your 5dmk2..really is no need for the off camera lighting with a 580. The only need for it would be if you set up and area for posed shots imo. It may just get in the way.

I think the 5DMKII is in stock, I'm on hold right now trying to get one. Fingers Crossed!
    Jer
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    * "well lit" - I doubt this gonna happen, but you probably know your venue ne_nau.gif
    * I did set my lights around the dance floor in a cross fire mode on more than one occasion. Event pics are usually very bland and uninteresting, using the ceiling to bounce the flash (btw - how high is it? what color is it? flat/structured?) would not help. Unless the venue is really gorgeous and worth being lit (in which case you would probably need WAY more lights than you can possibly afford) I would concentrate on a people. Of course, it al depends on the goals and the circumstances, your YMMV.

My primary advice: "know thy venue" deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited October 29, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    * "well lit" - I doubt this gonna happen, but you probably know your venue ne_nau.gif
    * I did set my lights around the dance floor in a cross fire mode on more than one occasion. Event pics are usually very bland and uninteresting, using the ceiling to bounce the flash (btw - how high is it? what color is it? flat/structured?) would not help. Unless the venue is really gorgeous and worth being lit (in which case you would probably need WAY more lights than you can possibly afford) I would concentrate on a people. Of course, it al depends on the goals and the circumstances, your YMMV.

My primary advice: "know thy venue" deal.gif

I've been in the room before, years ago. I might make a trip there tomorrow to scope it out again. But from what I remember the ceilings are pretty tall, like 20 ft, white, flat. aka near perfect for bouncing.

I'll do some experimenting. Some with crossfire, some bounced. I'll have plenty of time to mix it up.

Thats why I said well lit in "quotations". I basically meant the overhead lights will probably be on but flash will be needed.

Also to update people. I ordered the 5DMKII today, it'll be here on Wednesday, so that's all straightened out now.
    Jer