edited October 31, 2010 in People
Shot at f/8 this time
C&C welcome

1068492961_ND4fh-L.jpg
Yo soy Reynaldo

Comments

• briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    I like her expression but the composition makes it feel cluttered. The white shape appears to be pushing her to the right and out of the frame while the vertical doorway reveals only a small non-descript portion of background and squeezes her in the opposite direction. Also, at that angle her hand is almost totally hidden. Just my 2 cents. Maybe someone else will disagree. ne_nau.gif
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    I like her expression too but I agree on the composition.

Here are a few of my faves:

1070885950_aXkGh-L.jpg

1070844262_Z2Jjz-L.jpg

1070824878_d7fji-L.jpg
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    #1: I almost like it, and she even smiles for a change. Good framing and vantage (I'm glad people started to listen and stopped shooting full height from their eye level) thumb.gif
    Two nits:
    1.a: She looks half posed, half natural/relaxed. The biggest conflict is in her right arm (the one on her head). FWIW people rarely do that IRL, so that's a tell-tell sign of a "posed". However, the rest of her body is more of a relaxed, so here lies a conflict
    1.b: You've got a good flow in her upper limbs, and her front knee is bent, but it all stops dead in her feet that are parallel to each other. This is another rule of thumb that rarely works if broken: "Avoid parallel lines at all costs"

#2. Not likie.
    2.a: Cluttered bg;
    2.b: Chopped off elbow;
    2.c: Unpleasant facial expression.
    First two issues could have been cured by panning the frame a tad to the camera's left, thus eliminating the most distracting part of the bg and incorporating the whole elbow intact.

#3 Almost there, but:
    3.a: Unpleasant facial expression ("dead tired")
    3.b: Her left arm (camera's right) is - again - parallel to the body (c.f. #1.b). Simply having her to put her arms under her back would give her body a nice "arching" curve and would break that line. Or having them up front - either crossed under her chest or locked below the waist - would save the shot.

HTH

Nikolai
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    Thanks so much for the feedback Nik
    This will help me in the future as thus far I have been letting the girls do their thing. I'll definitely become more aware of items such as those you mentioned.
    I appreciate it much :-)
    Yo soy Reynaldo