On just 3 inches of a house brick...

Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
edited November 3, 2010 in Holy Macro
... there is life.

This is titular house brick and the following four photographs were taken across approximately a length of about 3 inches of it.

Surprising what is there (mind you, this house brick has come from the garden, not the house, and the life is on and around the soil which is attached to the brick.

First up is one of the good old hard to photograph cos they move faster than you'd believe millipede.

This one travelled across lots of the surface of the brick, but crossed the path of the lens a few times - giving me half a chance of getting some of it in focus!

800brick2.jpg

Just a tiny bit further to left where the soil starts to fill the frame, and the small stuff appears. That little white lumpy thing is I believe an immature springtail, and the white is because it spends all it's time in the dark until it grows into an adult. You can just about see the guts along the length on the inside of its body. This was about 1mm in length!

800brick3.jpg

At 2mm long is a young snail. Moving house is a slow stressful time especially when the terrain is as rugged as garden soil is and you are very small. Must be like a mountain range to all these creature (bar the millipede) and the hikes they have to travel must be massive if you translate them into human terms.

800brick4.jpg

Last and by no means least, is something I cannot identify, reasons being that it was very quick and nimble, and also because it was just about the smallest thing I think I have ever got in front of the lens. I am guess that is probably a mite of some description, and you can see just how miniature it is because the 2mm snail is out of focus in the background. I couldn't quite react fast enough to get a photo of this mite looking or moving toward the camera, hence it is a bit of a side/back-end view. Nice legs.

800brick1.jpg

For information's sake, the exif remains the same on all four images:

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 550D
Lens: 105mm
Image Date: 2010-10-29
Focal Length: 105mm
Aperture: f/8.0
Exposure Time: 0.067 s (1/15)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Manual
Flash Fired: Yes (Manual)
Color Space: sRGB
Photographer: Paul Iddon
Copyright: A View of the UK - Paul Iddon Photography

And that concludes my tour of the miniature world of the soil on a house brick.

Hope you enjoyed it smile.gif

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

Comments