Options

DSS 62 - Will this work?

lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
edited November 12, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
We're on vacation & I just came up with this while walking on the beach, so it may or may not be in the ballpark for the theme. C&C is greatly appreciated.
Title for the first three will be something like Spotted at low tide, not sure about the title for 4, maybe Sand Creature?
1069444396_Yx6Kb-M.jpg
1069444697_Bdatz-M.jpg
1069445022_4Eimz-M.jpg
1069457299_e9ZG2-M.jpg
~Lillian~
A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2010
    I like #2, but not sure how well they fit the theme. Maybe a better title to tie it in?

How cool to spot a sand dollar like that!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    This is really cool! I have never seen a live sand dollar.

I think #2 works best. I get a sense of reveal from it. Maybe "When the tide goes out" as a title?
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    If you're still at the beach, I'd say dig a little hole and reveal one of these~
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2010
    Thanks Sandi, Whatshesaw & Tom - it was fantastic to spot a live sand dollar - and very cool to watch. It was opening & closing its mouths as the waves washed over it. Would love to be able to go back & find it or another, but it's not so easy to find them, especially alive. I'm still trying to come up with a better title for #2, but was shooting around the in-laws house last night & came up with this, thinking it might better fit the theme:
    5. Fishius scubidubius
    1071105023_7XeN6-M.jpg
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2010
    I think #2 is definitely the strongest of the lot. The fish is indeed a hoot!
  • Options
    frewhlfrewhl Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    This is really cool! I have never seen a live sand dollar.

I think #2 works best. I get a sense of reveal from it. Maybe "When the tide goes out" as a title?

I snagged one alive with my hand when I was young.
    It seemed like it had a thousand legs, I kind of freaked and tossed it.
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    Is it just me or do they all seem a bit out of focus? Are they crops from much larger images?
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    edited November 12, 2010
    Is it just me or do they all seem a bit out of focus? Are they crops from much larger images?
    I believe you are right - they are not crops, and they do look a tad out of focus. It's not as noticeable on the small images, but zooming in on the bigger ones, it looks like the only ones that might be in focus are the ones where the water is covering the sand dollar and shells. And in looking back at my entry for the round, I think it is in better focus than any of these - guess that was just lucky cuz I didn't realize these were so oof.

I've been having the toughest time getting a spot-on focus, on almost everything seems like. I use the middle focus point & use a Katzeye split prism focus screen, and I chimp a lot (because of having so many out of focus ones once I see them on the computer) - have gotten to where I zoom in on the lcd to see if it's clear or not & try to adjust from there. Sometimes I switch to manual focus to try to get a better focus & sometimes I can & sometimes not. It didn't help on these that I was working on a little netbook & had a hard time seeing them well at all, but of course, that's after the fact during processing.

Seriously, any suggestions, tips, techniques, etc. would be greatly appreciated, cuz as I said, this has been & continues to be one of the most frustrating things for me. I really appreciate you noticing & commenting.
    ~Lillian~
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    lkbart wrote: »
    I believe you are right - they are not crops, and they do look a tad out of focus. It's not as noticeable on the small images, but zooming in on the bigger ones, it looks like the only ones that might be in focus are the ones where the water is covering the sand dollar and shells. And in looking back at my entry for the round, I think it is in better focus than any of these - guess that was just lucky cuz I didn't realize these were so oof.

I've been having the toughest time getting a spot-on focus, on almost everything seems like. I use the middle focus point & use a Katzeye split prism focus screen, and I chimp a lot (because of having so many out of focus ones once I see them on the computer) - have gotten to where I zoom in on the lcd to see if it's clear or not & try to adjust from there. Sometimes I switch to manual focus to try to get a better focus & sometimes I can & sometimes not. It didn't help on these that I was working on a little netbook & had a hard time seeing them well at all, but of course, that's after the fact during processing.

Seriously, any suggestions, tips, techniques, etc. would be greatly appreciated, cuz as I said, this has been & continues to be one of the most frustrating things for me. I really appreciate you noticing & commenting.

Not sure what to say. It seems like you are doing everything right. Have you had the lens checked out? What lens are you having this problem with? The auto-focus mode should do a good job. I shoot in auto-focus mode unless I want to shoot Macro which is when the lens fails to auto-focus for me. I also turn the auto-focus off when I shoot landscapes on a tripod.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer