Mabry Mill

CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited November 1, 2010 in Landscapes
It seems like it's been forever since I've posted any photos but I finally had a chance to venture out and decided to head to Mabry Mill off the Blue Ridge Parkway just south of Floyd, VA.

Leaves were just past peak and of course being a Saturday it was fairly crowded. I did however manage to catch a few from the Mill and surrounding areas.

The Mill in color
1070417184_irwvn-L.jpg

The Mill in infrared
1070401580_f2Tyx-L.jpg

A farm structure outside of Floyd, VA in infrared
1070410396_tnqeW-L.jpg

and again in color
1070414790_JL3mW-L.jpg

And this is why I love travelling off of the interstates...you get to see things like Foamhenge. A full size replica of Stonehenge made of foam. Route 11 just north of Natural Bridge, VA.
1070439563_C64RD-L.jpg

Comments

• EnlightphotoEnlightphoto Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    I really like the Infrared Mill. Also fun to see the straight version side by side, er... vertically paired.
  • pillmanpillman Registered Users Posts: 821 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    Mabry was on my list this year. Didn't get there as life happened..
    Hot summer and lack of rain made for a lack luster fall here.
    All nice..
    Not a fan of infrared however really liked the mill..
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    Awesome!

Cavalier: I've been wanting to go down there, but I didn't want to venture down by myself. I'm in Front Royal. Maybe you Bill & I can take a trip down.

BTW. Since you and Bill are close by, you might want to come check out my SMUG Group. (see link in my signature). I have a guest speaker coming November 18 to speak about LR3 Workflow. (see this thread)

Please let me know if you want to go shooting sometime. I like shooting with others vs. on my own. :)
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    Nice shots, Chris. The IR version just seems to suit Mabry Mill.

I'll have to make an effort to hook up with you, Bill, and Neal sometime. I'm up in the mountains a lot....mostly hanging out around Boone and Blowing Rock in NC. I get over to the Skyline and Shenandoah area at least twice a year so I'll work on getting with you guys.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2010
    Thanks Guys!

Mabry Mill is certainly one of those iconic places that's always worth the trip.

I primarily shoot in IR with a modded Nikon D50 but since I sprung for a D700 earlier this year I find it difficult to not bring both on my expeditions. I consider myself more of an opportunistic photographer and as such I may show up some place like the Mill in less than ideal photographic conditions. IR usually will provide me with a nice capture where color (or non IR black and white) may not. Showing the two versions of the mill is kind of a study of that. While I like the color one, I do think that I missed the prime time for a color image by about two weeks and while the lack of foliage doesn't necessarily take away from the image it doesn't really add to it. The IR version is able to take what foliage is there and help fill in the background making the lack of foliage in the color image less obvious without overwhelming the mill.

Bill/Neal/Tom - I'm always up for a road trip. Life is happening for my wife, Liz, and I as we're expecting our first child in about a month so my availability may be questionable for the near term. But please let me know anyway, she's a photographer as well and very understanding when it comes to taking off for a little while for a photographic opportunity.