Uncooperative Leaves

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited November 1, 2010 in People
C&C always welcome! :thumb
============================

So apparently this year it went from green to bare, with "colour" lasting about, oooh, 18hrs. Apparently I missed the window - by the time we got outside this afternoon, it was more than challenging to try and frame a shot, but never one to be daunted :rofl

Even getting these few bits of colour involved bizarre contortions on my part as I crouched down and tried to get bits of neighbour's maple 2 doors away into the bg.... :lol3

Anyway, a couple - these are totally "mom shots" party because I wanted some of her and other than the Lady G halloween shots last week haven't done any in a few months, and partly because I just wanted to shoot today. :D

1 My fave of the session, although I have no idea why this one came out so much warmer than the rest of the series - the light didn't change significantly and I didn't warm it up in post. I guess it was just a passing moment....

1070546228_RzhcQ-L.jpg

2. Taking advantage of the lonely dogwood in the front yard. We had to sit her on one of the porch pillars to get it behind her in shot :rofl
1070546361_YZqNh-L.jpg

3. Suddenly at the end of the session she just did the heart thing - it's slightly soft because it was totally a grab shot, but it was such a sweet spontaneous thing for her to do that I couldn't resist :lust

1070546391_K6Mw4-L.jpg

Comments

• jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2010
    Nice shots. thumb.gif If I may comment, I noticed that the girl has a "nicer" look when more of the left side of her face is facing the camera. I was thinking if you can compose your shots using this angle on her. Just a suggestion. :D
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    Thanks jiro! Yes, that's a good point - she is somewhat left-sided photographically speaking. This one didn't make the cut because I missed the focus, but demonstrates what a drastic difference the angle can make to a face.... thumb.gif

1071049109_6BAwZ-S.jpg
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    Now that's more like it! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif Great shot! wings.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    These are darling! I love #2! Her smile and the colors and the light are super! And the heart one is sweet! Makes me want to get out and have a shoot with my boy...it's been awhile.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited October 31, 2010
    Thanks jiro and Elaine! They're hardly great art, but I'm glad to have them :D Elaine, I was using a tickle of fill flash in these mostly bounced off the side of the (light grey) house - we were standing on the porch (which is also why my angles were limited - could'nt move around much more or I'd have fallen off!). I wanted to use reflectors, but with it moving towards winter the angle of the sun makes it hard to catch from that location (and I think I was possibly about and hour too early, although an hour later and the sun was nearly down; it's hard to judge at this time of year. I do love the catchlights I get when I'm on the porch, though - it's the closest I can come to Magic Garage light.... :D
  • Marissa K. PhotographyMarissa K. Photography Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    I really like #1 & #3.
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    wow...she has sure grown up. Lovely light. I agree about different angles. My oldest photographs better on one side...just makes a difference. LOVE #2 and of course, the heart one is sweet. <3
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    I saw this in today's paper and though of all your shots of your daughter in the "ears"!

1071964574_sBoFs-XL.jpg

Totally hip before her time!

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2010
    #1 for me!! Lovely, as usual.
    edited November 1, 2010
    Thanks guys! thumb.gif

Zanotti, I'm laughing out loud here - HA!! That's hilarious that everybody remembers the kitty ears iloveyou.gif I miss them :cry (even if it was me who insisted she start middle school last year without them.... )

557360180_rKomi-M.jpg
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2010
    Heart/hands must be the thing to do for middle schoolers.... I just did a shoot last week for my brother's family and his 6th grade daughter spontaneously made heart /hands.... She mumbled something about Taylor Swift. Which I have no idea what the connection is.
    edited November 1, 2010
    ^^^ ah, Heather, you may have hit on it - I didn't think to ask her about it at the time (no opportunity and with yesterday being tied up all day first with performance and then trick-or-treating haven't had a chance!). I'll see what she says when she gets home later, but Taylor Swift as inspiration sounds a likely explanation :giggle
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2010
    Goodness Diva...these are fantastic!
    Her eyes and smile are lovely and your backgrounds to die for!
    I wish my ten year old would cooperate with me so I could get some nice shots of her but if I ask her to pose I get no smiles......
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2010
    Nice shots. There is something odd looking to me about Picture #1 in the upper right corner above her hair. It looks like you processed something out to me. I think it is probably the sky but it just kind of grabbed my eye. I think I like #2 of the set the most as if has everything for me, including dimples.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact