Options

Concerning Question

alicemaryalicemary Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited November 1, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
This has been on my mind for soooooooooo long...
I am one of the sports photographers for our local paper.. the ones I don't submit to the paper, I am free to keep them..
I have my gallery here full of the photos that I have taken at the football games, golf and anything else I was assigned to..
I just I am arguing with myself, whether or not to post them for sale..
I have a parent’s gallery that has some of the sports shots in them.. but I am not sure about the policy on having prints for sale publicly of these kids..
I see alot of the sports photographers here that do that, so it's that saying, if they can do it, why can't I..... but knowing me something will happen...
So please someone ease my mind.. ;0)
~alice

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    Alice,

Do you free lance for the paper or are you an employee? Dos the paper provide the camera gear? Have you signed any contracts with the paper?

The above will clarify the ownership / copyright status of the images.

If they are yours I can't see any reason you couldn't post them for sale.

Sam
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2010
    I get assigned out.. to games... I give them 4 photos and the rest is mine..I use my camera gear.
    Granted I have very little sales with the protected gallery... I am just concerned about the kids and model releases...or does that just deal with downloads.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited October 31, 2010
    alicemary

there's much already posted on the subject of print sales / downloads/ copyright and model releases. some searching through our existing posts will reveal answers you are seeking. Additionally, look through the "photographer's resources" sticky thread at the top of the forum.
  • Options
    BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    alicemary wrote: »
    This has been on my mind for soooooooooo long...
    I am one of the sports photographers for our local paper.. the ones I don't submit to the paper, I am free to keep them..
    I have my gallery here full of the photos that I have taken at the football games, golf and anything else I was assigned to..
    I just I am arguing with myself, whether or not to post them for sale..
    I have a parent’s gallery that has some of the sports shots in them.. but I am not sure about the policy on having prints for sale publicly of these kids..
    I see alot of the sports photographers here that do that, so it's that saying, if they can do it, why can't I..... but knowing me something will happen...
    So please someone ease my mind.. ;0)
    ~alice

If you own the copyright you can sell the photos on your website without needing a model release. If you sell a photo to Coca Cola to use in an ad, you would need a model release, because that is considered 'commercial use'.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2010
    Thank you.. .... all of this was helpful..
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2010
    alicemary wrote: »
    Thank you.. .... all of this was helpful..

This is not likely to be a big earner. As a local I would consider the likely feelings of the parents. You will earn much more from an assignment to shoot a wedding or a family portrait. You may be covered legally for your actions, but future business is more important.