Can someone help with the basics of burst mode?

FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
edited October 31, 2010 in Technique
Can someone help me with the basics of taking multiple exposures with the burst mode of my Sony HVL F58AM and my A700? I tried various settings and am not getting anything usable. My wife is normally a very good sport when it comes to being my "subject" but she is getting very annoyed running back and forth across my living room and jumping and skipping across the yard at night. Please recommend a base line set up for me to set the camera and flash. I.E. Power setting, # of times flash fires, and Hz of the flash (flashes per second)? Aperture and shutter speed of camera?

Comments

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    I know nothing about Sony, but you need to set shutter speed fast enough to stop the action, and faster than the fps you're using(if you're doing 5fps, you can't do less than 1/5 of a second). I don't know about your flash, but most take a few seconds to recharge...
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    You may not be able to get to burst mode with a flash unles you have and external power spurce for the flash to keep the recycle time as short as possible....burst with flash really depends on the recycle time...so also no low iso's, as close as possible to subject (so flash doesnot travel very far...extremely large aperture so the flash doesnot have to fire at full power...or put the flash in manual mode at a set power setting..like 1/2, 1/3, 1/6.....and test util you have it....aperture no smaller than 5.6 and probaly as close to 2.8 or larger as possible.........camera should also be in manual mode......IMHO
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website