Canon S3IS Video OK, Stills Not

TJBakerTJBaker Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited November 2, 2010 in Cameras
Hi! My Canon S3IS began giving me troubles this year while thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail for the second time. I can't recall the exact sequence of events but in the end the camera powers up OK, I can shoot video fine but stills are overexposed and have fine horizontal lines across the image regardless of settings.

I suspect permanent damage from condensation.

I'll likely take it apart and clean all connections I can just for the fun of it.

My question is......

How can the camera shoot video OK but not stills?

Comments

• TJBakerTJBaker Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 2, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    Probably because of how the sensor is used for video. It will disregard many of the pixels on the sensor to get to the right resolution for the video so odds are its disregarding the lines along with it? Do you have some sample pics? Sounds like a time to call the canon loyalty hotline?

I've got it somewhat disassembled right now or I'd take some experimental shots as samples. I don't really see any signs of water damage, no residues or such on any of the circuitry.

Much as I like the S3 I don't see it available as refurbished on the canon website. I'll likely replace it with a current offering most likely in the same class.