Options

Tough wedding (2nd wedding share) lots of images

kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
edited November 9, 2010 in Weddings
Beautiful bride, handsome groom. No time for pictures and it was really dark. This was an outdoor wedding on the water but the sun doesn't set slowly. I think the other photographer and I had about 3 mins for bride/groom pictures after the ceremony. We had about 10 minutes for her entire family and her bridesmaid. Remember that video? The one that said, "This is my wedding" and, "We only have 10 minutes for pictures"? That was so her. She wasn't too pushy, it was just a disappointment. She was pretty picky on their poses too. Either way, they were nice and the ceremony was beautiful, just waaay too many standard family pose pictures, which were totally in the dark. The ceremony was a blast and the DJ was great! I had just gotten my macro lens (thanks Qarik) and rented the sigma 50-150 2.8 (thanks Matthew Saville). The macro was awesome and the sigma totally saved my life that night! Never had a macro before, just pushed my other lenses to the limit, so it was fun messing around with it. Most everything was a DIY, the invitations, the centerpieces and other decorations. Her aunt did a lot of it and hand picked silver dollars herself. I am not done with going through them, just picked out a few for you. I have done a few weddings but am always to scared to post...eek! CC is appreciated, please be kind! Thanks for looking!!

2s6km5u.jpg

2The background is the view out of the bridal suite, the beautiful bay. She loved it, so this was perfect.

14jw2ld.jpg

hwwy90.jpg

4 (Before the ceremony) The other photographer stayed with the bride and more detail pics and I went downstairs with the groom and groomsmen. We had lots of time then for just a small amount of people. One groomsmen had the wrong tuxedo shirt, so we had to wait for the delivery of his replacement. After everyone else left, the groom and I hung out and talked. The hotel is the worse looking place you have ever seen..on the outside. The grounds are pretty but not good for pictures. There's an ugly railing all around it. In fact,in this picture, he's leaning on it and the pool is right behind me. Finding locations was not easy.

30sfv9d.jpg

5 (Before the ceremony) Again, the pool is right behind me and there is a tent for dining right next to them. They picked the pose, and I thought it was cute. I was lucky I didn't fall into the pool.

nb4vk.jpg

6 The ceremony. Their unity sand and her grandparents walking up the aisle. I stayed behind the gazebo and moved around from there. The other photographer was on the other side. ( have one focused on the grandparents and the sand blurred but the grandma is making a crazy face :D

mrfkon.jpg

7 Because of the lens I was using, I couldn't get any further back, but I actually love it!
2sbkf39.jpg

8 It was an emotional ceremony

2cqywdt.jpg

9What a photographer would do for a shot. I was in bushes of sea oats, hibiscus and bougainvillea (their thorns are killers!!).

50p6oy.jpg

10 our 3 minutes of sunset

2hghgjo.jpg

343qmf6.jpg

12 And last but not least.. It was totally dark at this moment and bride was ready to GO!!

t85ker.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2, 2010
    Ohh, how sad! Nothing yet?!?! I can't get any better if I have no help. Pretty please!
  • Options
    jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    I think you've done a good job. A little pp work would be nice to make it pop. Congrats!
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2010
    jiro wrote: »
    I think you've done a good job. A little pp work would be nice to make it pop. Congrats!
    Thanks jiro! What pp would you do?
  • Options
    krauzianimagekrauzianimage Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    Burning with a large brush that avoided hitting the couple would make the colors on #11 elevan pop. I would set it to midtones and have it at about 20%. http://www.krauzianimage.com/
  • Options
    krauzianimagekrauzianimage Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    They look great BTW. Good job catching all the crying! http://www.krauzianimage.com
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2010
    Thanks and thanks!!!
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2010
    Bump for maybe a little more Cc? If it heps I can delete all the writing. But seriously, for all who have looked, I hope you enjoy. This is my second time only sharing a wedding!
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    I learned a trick when I started shooting people/portraits: use spot metering and overexpose by about a half on the lightest part of the skin. This might help get your photos lightened up a bit. Also, if you're not using a flash or anything, recruit a reflector buddy to come along with you. The help that a reflector can provide can be really wonderful... and they're only $30!

Also, it looks like the focus is slightly off on a few of them, so watch out for that.

Some of the moments you've captured are really great. Nice job spotting and catching those!
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    Don't you hate it when the rotation of the earth doesn't cooperate with weddings?

I think you did a good job, I'm going to pick on a couple of little tiny posing things.

I like your composition of 4, but I think tighter is better when there is no point of reference with water as the background. If you can't show what is around him or what he is standing on, tighten up or go vertical.

5 is something I can't say I've never done...but it is very cliched. If you have a bride who insists on this you can make it more natural by having some girls only hold the bouquet with one hand, and vary the framing. Hard to make this look more natural, it is pretty absurd.

10...this is a VERY good looking couple...you lucked out there. Don't be afraid to tell people where they should put their hands. I don't like how high up she has her flowers, and his hand just hanging there...it isn't a bad picture, there is NOTHING bad about it...but it can be more refined. With obviously posed shots I always think you should do it absolutely right, because if you let little details go they just look like poorly posed or messily posed shots.

11. The composition is very good, she looks tense. It is her smile and head tilt, asking the bride to drop her front shoulder and open up her chest a little can help this...but the two technical components exposure and composition are strong.

12. Obviously posed shot, natural looking bride...groom's tie not straight, finger growing out of the bride's flank. Two VERY minor things, but the first things I see. Looks like you were lighting them from a low position, you got more light UP on them and in the rafters than at the bottom of the dress. I think for the money you need to get this shot to ensure sharpness, but after you are SURE you got one sharp, slow your shutter and let that ambient light fill in, maybe back off the flash so it is just an accent and you can get something with a completely different feeling.

Good job, and lucky you for getting such an attractive couple.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2010
    Thanks every one and extra thanks to Blurmore. I can see what you guys all are saying. In fact, for #4, I do have a vertical picture too! They were pretty tense and not wanting to do pictures at all. For the last one, I didn't even have time to adjust my off camera flash, which is why it is so low. How do I fix it now that the picture is already taken? Just to balance it out more. I have also gone by and tried to lighten up some and work on the sky some. It's funny, when I work on them, they are almost on the too bright side. I'll post some edits and see what you guys think. Yes, they are beautiful, but with less than 10 mins for pictures was a big let down. We did more of the boring family all standing there shots than anything. Thanks again for all the tips!thumb.gif