Options

828 USB Problem

damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
edited July 29, 2004 in Cameras
I came home today, plugged in the 828, and nothing...nothing. I freaked out, restarted my Powerbook and plugged in again. Nothing. I took out the USB and checked to see if my pictures were still there. They were. After plugging, unplugging 2 or 3 times, it read it. All is well...for now. What's up? Any 828 owners out there experience this? This is my first problem with the camera so I'm a little shaken.

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    Damon,
    when I was in the camera shop a couple of weeks ago, they said it was advisable to use a card reader rather than the camera's USB port, they had apparently had customers who had experienced problems with camera ports after a period of time. No makes or models were mentioned, I got the impression it was a general thing....
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    Thanks Gubbs. I'll pick one up.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    Thanks Gubbs. I'll pick one up.

for my 828 and my dslr, i *only* use card readers. i have a sony desktop and laptop, they have built in memory stick readers. when i bought my lexar 1gb cards, they came with a portable reader. i only use the reader. never a problem (so far!)....

they're cheap enough to buy, also, damon.

aw
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    Thanks Andy. I was just checking online and I saw a 6-in-1 reader for about $30. Sounds good. Going to the electronics mall ASAP. I guess I should only use the camera for taking pictures, eh?
    andy wrote:
    for my 828 and my dslr, i *only* use card readers. i have a sony desktop and laptop, they have built in memory stick readers. when i bought my lexar 1gb cards, they came with a portable reader. i only use the reader. never a problem (so far!)....

aw
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    Hey Andy...so, repeatedly taking out and replacing the CF card doesn't cause bad wear and tear? I was always afraid of that but...I guess it's cool???
    andy wrote:

aw
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    Hey Andy...so, repeatedly taking out and replacing the CF card doesn't cause bad wear and tear? I was always afraid of that but...I guess it's cool???

That is one concern I have. I have three DSLR's and 11 CF cards at the moment. I have no choice but to swap cards and have been doing so for almost two years. When I start a job I reformat all the CF cards in one of the camera bodies, so the cards get moved around a lot. To date everything has worked as it should (knock on wood). I do take great care with both the cameras and cards. I keep the cards in their protective cases in a card wallet to keep them clean. I also check to make sure the contacts in the camera a matching holes in the CF cards are clean. I have seen friends stick cards (no cases) in their pockets, then to the camera. I would worry about getting lint, hair, etc in the contacts and then into the camera, potentially damaging a pin.

So everything works for me as it should, but I keep an eye on what goes in and out of the camera and how the cards are stored.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    damonff wrote:

Damon,

Depending on which Powerbook you have, another alternative for you might be to use the PC card slot.

I have a 15" titanium powerbook. I think that the 15" and 17" aluminum powerbooks have the pc card slot, too, meaning that only the 12" pbooks don't.

In any case, you can get an adapter for your card. Slide your card into the adapter, the adapter into the slot and you're good to go.

It won't be a 6 in 1 kind of deal, more of a 1 in 1, but I prefer it because I hate cables and it's really portable. I keep the adapter in my camera bag, but what with my digirebel and 70-200mm lens, my camera bag is a backpack.

I went to look for a URL for you, and I learned that they actually arent' just 1 in 1. Mine fell in my lap, so I never researched it, but here's a 4 in 1.

Anyway, good luck with it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    That is one concern I have. I have three DSLR's and 11 CF cards at the moment. I have no choice but to swap cards and have been doing so for almost two years. When I start a job I reformat all the CF cards in one of the camera bodies, so the cards get moved around a lot. To date everything has worked as it should (knock on wood). I do take great care with both the cameras and cards. I keep the cards in their protective cases in a card wallet to keep them clean. I also check to make sure the contacts in the camera a matching holes in the CF cards are clean. I have seen friends stick cards (no cases) in their pockets, then to the camera. I would worry about getting lint, hair, etc in the contacts and then into the camera, potentially damaging a pin.

So everything works for me as it should, but I keep an eye on what goes in and out of the camera and how the cards are stored.

i'm just really careful with the cf cards. i don't worry about taking them in and out.....
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    Thanks for the advice you guys...I'm going shopping tomorrow...
  • Options
    PUREVILPUREVIL Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2004
    Sorry for my slow response but I just joined the site.

I had a slightly different issue with my 828 when using the USB cable. I'd hook it up and start Xfering files but then the camera would just shut off. I tired it a few times and it didnt always shut off. I found out for some reason the USB Connect setting in the setup, was set to pictbridge... I changed it to Normal and it works just fine. I use a Dell PC but that is something you should check. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2004
    Thanks Evil. Mine's set to normal...it's something else. I just bought a card reader. No problems since.
    PUREVIL wrote:
    Sorry for my slow response but I just joined the site.

I had a slightly different issue with my 828 when using the USB cable. I'd hook it up and start Xfering files but then the camera would just shut off. I tired it a few times and it didnt always shut off. I found out for some reason the USB Connect setting in the setup, was set to pictbridge... I changed it to Normal and it works just fine. I use a Dell PC but that is something you should check. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    door110door110 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    Hello
    Hi Damon,

Well...its nice to be here.

Dan.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    Hey Dan. Glad you're here. Looking forward to more excellent work.
    door110 wrote:
    Hi Damon,

Well...its nice to be here.

Dan.
  • Options
    door110door110 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    OK, will do
    damonff wrote:
    Hey Dan. Glad you're here. Looking forward to more excellent work.

I'm looking forward to showing you Damon.

Cheers mate,

Dan.