A Cowboy and his Horse

DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
edited September 10, 2005 in People
Portrait of a cowboy as well as one with his horse. Elkhorn Ranch wrangler.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

35154751-L.jpg

35154762-L.jpg
Dixie
Photographs by Dixie
| Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!

Comments

• 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    That second one is incredible..clap.gif
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    Lovely shots Dixie. The second has everything great about it, especially the compositionclap.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    Teh second shot is really great. The first one could use some fill flash though.

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited September 8, 2005
    two excellent shots Dix thumb.gif

I'm thinking KPOTD for #2
  • burkeburke Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    love the second one!! great tonality and composition - nice work!!
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    That second one is incredible..clap.gif
    Thank you 4labs.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    edited September 8, 2005
    rahmonster wrote:
    Lovely shots Dixie. The second has everything great about it, especially the compositionclap.gif
    Thank you for the comments Rah.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited September 8, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    Teh second shot is really great. The first one could use some fill flash though.

Nick
    I was afraid I would blow the shirt entirely if I went with fill flash. I did use a small reflector to try and get some light in under the hat brim. I probably should have thrown a little more light in there with the reflector.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited September 8, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    two excellent shots Dix thumb.gif

I'm thinking KPOTD for #2
    Thanks Angelo. I've never submitted to KPOTD, but will definitely have to give it some consideration. :D
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited September 8, 2005
    burke wrote:
    love the second one!! great tonality and composition - nice work!!
    Thanks Burke, I really appreciate the comments.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited September 8, 2005
    As a side note: No model was used for this shot. Dean is a working wrangler at the Elkhorn Ranch located north of West Yellowstone, Montana near Bozeman.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    ya
    Dixie wrote:
    I was afraid I would blow the shirt entirely if I went with fill flash. I did use a small reflector to try and get some light in under the hat brim. I probably should have thrown a little more light in there with the reflector.
    Yep good job on the use of a reflector/\rotcelfer a fo esu eht no boj doog peythumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Made that mistake manytimes and got terrible shadows on the face of those da-n hat wearers

Really nice shots.............Mereimage
    edited September 8, 2005
    Thank you. I was using about 3 ft white and bending it to keep from getting more light on the shirt.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    Beautiful shots, Dixie!

I'll go against the flow and say that the shadow on the cowboy's face on #1 looks really good to me!
    Of course, #2 is one hell of a nice capture! :):

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago
  • mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    Beautiful shots, Dixie!

I'll go against the flow and say that the shadow on the cowboy's face on #1 looks really good to me!

Dude thats what we were saying ---without the reflector she would have had a dense shadow ...............So see- you are with the flow...Now we're gellin...

Mereimage
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    Dixie wrote:
    As a side note: No model was used for this shot. Dean is a working wrangler at the Elkhorn Ranch located north of West Yellowstone, Montana near Bozeman.
    Im totally in love with the cowboy. You are making it VERY hard for me to stay away from yellowstone now!!!!
    edited September 8, 2005
    winger wrote:
    Im totally in love with the cowboy. You are making it VERY hard for me to stay away from yellowstone now!!!!
    Winger, this is my second time photographing Yellowstone. I really love it there. It doesn't have an El Capitan or Half Dome like Yosemite, or the cliff dwellings like Mesa Verde, or the vistas of the Catheral Group and Mt Moran of the Grant Tetons, etc., but what it does have is a diversity like no other national park IMHO. Between the waterfalls, rivers, lakes, geyser basins, hot springs, paint pots, sulfur caldrons, mud volcanos, abundant wildlife (bears, swans, geese, elk, some wolves, coyotes, moose, ducks, birds of prey, and others too numerous to list) and the surrounding areas which include Chief Joseph Scenic Highway, Beartooth Scenic Bi-way, guest ranches, refuges, ghost towns & other historical towns such as Nevada City and Virginia City, etc., you could literally shoot from sunrise to sunset for weeks and never run out of something new to shoot. And to top it off, you only have a couple of hours drive to get to the Grand Teton National Park since you virtually go from one to the other. A single fee covers both parks if you don't use one of the passes.

I'm still processing and uploading Yellowstone and Grand Teton photos to my galleries, but give them a look (links below) for just a smidgen of what's available to shoot in and around both.

Yellowstone NP - Grand Teton NP
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited September 9, 2005
    Dixie wrote:
    Winger, this is my second time photographing Yellowstone. I really love it there. It doesn't have an El Capitan or Half Dome like Yosemite, or the cliff dwellings like Mesa Verde, or the vistas of the Catheral Group and Mt Moran of the Grant Tetons, etc., but what it does have is a diversity like no other national park IMHO. Between the waterfalls, rivers, lakes, geyser basins, hot springs, paint pots, sulfur caldrons, mud volcanos, abundant wildlife (bears, swans, geese, elk, some wolves, coyotes, moose, ducks, birds of prey, and others too numerous to list) and the surrounding areas which include Chief Joseph Scenic Highway, Beartooth Scenic Bi-way, guest ranches, refuges, ghost towns & other historical towns such as Nevada City and Virginia City, etc., you could literally shoot from sunrise to sunset for weeks and never run out of something new to shoot. And to top it off, you only have a couple of hours drive to get to the Grand Teton National Park since you virtually go from one to the other. A single fee covers both parks if you don't use one of the passes.

I'm still processing and uploading Yellowstone and Grand Teton photos to my galleries, but give them a look (links below) for just a smidgen of what's available to shoot in and around both.

Yellowstone NP - Grand Teton NP
    One some I was a tour guide in the park. Best job in the world showing people the most increadible place I have ever been to (certainly in terms of deversity, there is so much there in such a small area). But I worked there before I really got into photograhpy I would love to go back with my camera for a summer.

Oh but you have one of one of my favorite features in terms of park history http://http://dixie.smugmug.com/gallery/144799/2/5315875 THE FISHING CONE!!!! When I wasnt tour guiding, reading, exploring or taking other tours I used to love to find old postcards (easier to find then photos) of the park. And I loved the ones with people fishing out in the lake and then using Fishing cone to cook their fish.

Yellowstone is an amazing place, you can learn so much there, not just about the park itself, but the park really reflects back alot upon US history. From the expansion of the railroad, the invention of the automobile, the "back to nature" phase of the country, and even how the National Park Services has changed its views on park management as to how much they should or should not get involved.
    edited September 9, 2005
    Didn't realize that you had been a tour guide at Yellowstone. I was really preaching to the choir in your case. :D I should have had you along with me.

I definitely hope that you make it back there with camera in hand soon. The other thing which really amazed me about Yellowstone is how much it changes from year to year with all the thermal activity going on. I know that you will really enjoy it when you do get to make your return visit.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited September 9, 2005
    Dixie wrote:
    Didn't realize that you had been a tour guide at Yellowstone. I was really preaching to the choir in your case. :D I should have had you along with me.

I definitely hope that you make it back there with camera in hand soon. The other thing which really amazed me about Yellowstone is how much it changes from year to year with all the thermal activity going on. I know that you will really enjoy it when you do get to make your return visit.
    Hehe I have already been there twice I seem to go in years where the fire season are really active (88 and 2000, althought 2000 was alot more active in areas outside of the park)

But yeah the thermal features are great. I remeber one at the paint pots (which the paint pots were a great area to describe the different types of thermal features because they were all there) and when I showed up silex spring which was normal just a thermal pool, nice and blue and clear, well it was totally errupting mud and stuff. I dont think the people on my tour really understood why I was so excited.

Oh well

this is the gallery I got http://winger.smugmug.com/gallery/89600 granted with a PS film camera then scanned in and well before I really got into photograhpy.
    I sooooo want to go back with my D-SLR.
    edited September 10, 2005
    Karen, I checked out your Yellowstone gallery. thumb.gif

Nice work, but suspect that the scans aren't doing the photos justice (my scans never do unless I have access to a drum scanner and scan from the negatives/positives). I looked at some of your work with the 20D and they are great so get back to Yellowstone and get even better shots.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie