Options

How Early Do Brides Book Photogs?

darklorddarklord Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited November 2, 2010 in Weddings
Next year 2011 will be the first full year of me being a wedding photog. So far, I've collected 4 deposits with a 5th one indicated strong interest.

I'm just wondering how late do brides book wedding photogs. I know it all depends but considering that I picked up 5 jobs now, is it safe to say I should be able to pick up a few more jobs early next year for the 2011 spring/summer season?

Photogs that have been in business longer will probably know this better. Do you see a lot of last minute bookings?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    I rarely get any last minute inquiries. YES, your location AND level are key factor if you look for an answer here. My couples book 1-2 years in advance (I even had one inquiry for 3 years prior to the wedding, which I thankfully said no to).

Where do you live and what kind of weddings are you booking (1 being low-end wedding / 5 being high-end weddings?)
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2010
    I'm in Canada and I just started out so I'm your friendly neighborhood low end $1K wedding photog. For an unknown guy like me, would you say last minute booking isn't out of the norm?
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    Not knowing anything about our area, I'd say you are welllllll ahead of your game and can definitely expect more bookings. When *I* started out, my booking season started in Nov, and lasted until April :D
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    darklord wrote: »
    I'm in Canada and I just started out so I'm your friendly neighborhood low end $1K wedding photog. For an unknown guy like me, would you say last minute booking isn't out of the norm?
    I'd say that for starting out in this photographer-saturated economy, (recession aside) ...I'd be impressed with even 5 weddings in your 1st year! Of course if you've already been shooting for many years before, part time, then yeah you might be able to crank it up to 10 or so weddings by the end of the year, but it just depends on how many past clients you have to get referrals from, and how much visibility you're getting in general.

I will say however that MANY couples are waiting a little more around here, ever since 2009 I've been booking a lot more in the 1-6 month range. However I still do get 12+ month bookings, and I still encourage brides to contact me 8-14 months in advance if their wedding is on a Saturday in the spring or fall.

So the answer to your question is that yes, you can expect more bookings, but you'll need to play your cards right. Get visible any way you can, ASK past clients if they know anyone getting married, and don't slack off when the post-production etc. piles up. :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2010
    Thanks guys for the encouragement. I hope to pick up more jobs because there're a few primes I'm looking to buy, it never ends, does it?
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    $1k Canadian isn't cheap for some folks, you may be the rolls royce of budget photogs in your area, just another way of looking at it. I would imagine there are plenty of people shooting in the 250-500 bracket for a full day (albeit 99% will be complete hacks who should be drowned in a vat of snot).

Thanks Richy for your reply.

In my area, there are people going in with an entry level DSLR plus kit lens and charge $300 for it. At least I go in with a Canon 1 series body and a Canon 7D, plus a couple of Canon L lenses f/2.8 minimum. I explain to my clients that just to rent my gears will cost them a couple hundreds for one day. If they don't accept that, that's fine, I don't want to get burnt out doing low budget community hall weddings 10 times a year anyway. If I charge anything less than $1K, the clients will infer my price as a reflection of the quality of my work.

I'm all about getting the good jobs right now. So if I see a beautiful bride with a great wedding plan, I'll throw in a free engagement session or photobook just to entice her to book me. But my price will be firm at $1K. Wedding photo is probably one business that the higher priced items are easier to sell than the lower priced ones.