Options

Slideshow memory leak?

2»

Comments

• Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    Well, that clears up any doubt in mind. thumb.gif And on SM's own site, no less. Great work John! thumb.gif Now let's see if they'll bug it and start working on it.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    raulpeschraulpesch Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    I re-enabled the slideshow on my homepage and left it open for 30 min. Memory usage of the chrome.exe process increased to 1.5Gb(!!) at the time I wrote this (after half an hour). And it is increasing as we speak. Same result in IE8 and FF. On systems with relatively low memory (2GB) or 32-bit systems (with 4GB memory limit) this causes the entire system to clog up. Results seem to differ depending on the feed you select (recent photos, specific album etc.). I cannot reproduce the problem with the slideshow on the Smugmug homepage which seem to allocate and release memory as it should.

Try it for yourself: http://www.peschfamily.com/
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Thank you for the additional testing! thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    jfriend wrote:
    If you don't think this is a problem, please show some of your senior developers around the office these statistics and ask them if this is acceptable for a widely used Smugmug feature.
    Andy wrote: »
    I have, John:

Andy, what do your developers say about this? Is this something you'll look at fixing? This can potentially ruin (e.g. crash, freeze, etc...) a small computing device that has flash support (e.g. Android phone, Android Tablet, etc...) that just doesn't have this much memory.

Depending upon how memory is configured on a PC, it could wreak havoc with even a normal PC too.

Clearly, you have the code in house for doing this correctly as that's what you're using on your own Smugmug home page (doesn't use more than 20MB) - you're just not doing it that way for us customers.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Hi,
    This is actually the exact same code and swf used everywhere for the slideshow on the site so this may be a very specific bug, potentially even in just IE. I tested out memory consumption in FireFox and Safari (my SDK is on a Mac) and there were no memory issues, the memory graph goes up and down like it should. I haven't tested it in IE yet as I need to install the SDK on a windows machine which I'll do as time allows.
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2010
    Shizam wrote: »
    Hi,
    This is actually the exact same code and swf used everywhere for the slideshow on the site so this may be a very specific bug, potentially even in just IE. I tested out memory consumption in FireFox and Safari (my SDK is on a Mac) and there were no memory issues, the memory graph goes up and down like it should. I haven't tested it in IE yet as I need to install the SDK on a windows machine which I'll do as time allows.
    I don't know where you're getting the notion of the problem being in IE from (you didn't quote any specific post). My measurements were all with Firefox. Did you read the various tests we did in this thread?

Further, the efficient slideshow on the Smugmug homepage (see my post #32 here in this thread) is not the same swf file as customers use for their slideshows. That swf is http://cdn.smugmug.com/include/homepages/sshow/examples-2.swf and never uses more than 20MB. Customers get something like this: /ria/ShizamSlides-2010091501.swf which can use more than 1GB.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2010
    Just checked, I got /ria/ShizamSlides-2010091501.swf where are you seeing otherwise?
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2010
    Just checked, I got /ria/ShizamSlides-2010091501.swf where are you seeing otherwise?
    Just like it says in my post #32: http://www.smugmug.com/photos/example-photo-sharing-sites/.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2010
    Ahh, k. Well, as I said, my memory profiler didn't detect a leak so I'll have to look into it deeper to isolate the issue.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2010
    Ahh, k. Well, as I said, my memory profiler didn't detect a leak so I'll have to look into it deeper to isolate the issue.
    Shizam, I'm not sure if it's a permanent memory leak or delayed/faulty garbage collection such that it takes a really, really long time before memory is actually reclaimed causing excessive usage before it is releated/reclaimed. If you follow the data recorded in this thread, you can see cases of both. Some where memory usage just keeps going up and up and some where memory usage goes up high (750MB), then drops back down and then starts climbing again. Both are problems, but it isn't clear if it's an outright leak or some sort of delay in proper garbage collection or memory being released/reclaimed.

What's striking is that the different flash slideshow I pointed you to on the Smugmug homepage just stays at a constant 20MB and has no big spike of usage.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    Shizam, I'm not sure if it's a permanent memory leak or delayed/faulty garbage collection such that it takes a really, really long time before memory is actually reclaimed causing excessive usage before it is releated/reclaimed. If you follow the data recorded in this thread, you can see cases of both. Some where memory usage just keeps going up and up and some where memory usage goes up high (750MB), then drops back down and then starts climbing again. Both are problems, but it isn't clear if it's an outright leak or some sort of delay in proper garbage collection or memory being released/reclaimed.

What's striking is that the different flash slideshow I pointed you to on the Smugmug homepage just stays at a constant 20MB and has no big spike of usage.

Right,
    For whatever reason in my SDK/memory profiler it never went 26MB for the 5 minutes I ran it, but as you say it could be triggered somehow after many many minutes, here is what a 5 minute run looked like, the red line is 26MB:

http://img.skitch.com/20101110-fipd188e97cd82eay16u2abxpu.render.png

I need to let it run longer & with a massively larger gallery perhaps.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2010
    Right,
    For whatever reason in my SDK/memory profiler it never went 26MB for the 5 minutes I ran it, but as you say it could be triggered somehow after many many minutes, here is what a 5 minute run looked like, the red line is 26MB:

http://img.skitch.com/20101110-fipd188e97cd82eay16u2abxpu.render.png

I need to let it run longer & with a massively larger gallery perhaps.
    Not the results we're seeing here (three separate reports in this thread). On Firefox, I presume you know that you have to watch the plugin-container.exe process in addition to firefox.exe. Did you try the actual slideshows that are referred to in this thread as having the problem?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2010
    Not yet,
    Was staring with the easiest test 'does my SDK say its broke in a very controlled environment' to see if there was an easy solution. There wasn't, so more in-depth testing is required.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2010
    Not yet,
    Was staring with the easiest test 'does my SDK say its broke in a very controlled environment' to see if there was an easy solution. There wasn't, so more in-depth testing is required.
    Glad you're looking into it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    raulpeschraulpesch Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    Is there any follow up on this issue? I still have it and can easily reproduce it on multiple systems and in multiple browsers (IE, FF, Chrome)...
  • Options
    HamsterHueyHamsterHuey Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    I can reproduce this as well. Memory usage jumps by 2-5 MBs for every image loaded in the slideshow. A bit disappointing considering that slideshows on webpages have only been around for a decade or more.
    Unhappy SmugMug beta tester - http://smandal.smugmug.com