Options

dark foreground bright background....HELP!

Kevin CTMPKevin CTMP Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited November 4, 2010 in Technique
There is a particular shot that I have always had trouble with......it is when the subject of my shot (whatever it may be) is darker than the background behind it.....i tinker with my settings, but I always end up with either a nice background by dark subject, or a nice subject with completely washed out background?.....obviously i can just pop a little fill flash.....but I still run into the problem when I'm shooting a ceremony and not allowed to use flash....especially when there are stained glass windows behind the altar.....does anyone have any other tips aside from shooting at an angle or using fill flash?

Comments

• Options
    NihilationNihilation Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    Find an assistant to handle a reflector? Try using filters or exposure bracketing perhaps?
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    Maybe a polarizing filter. (I think that's what it's called)
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    Kevin,

With the scenario your outlined you only have one choice. You can shoot so your couple is properly exposed, or you can shoot so the stained glass is properly exposed. You can't do both with out some added light on the couple or blocking the outside light on the stained glass.

Sam
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Kevin,

With the scenario your outlined you only have one choice. You can shoot so your couple is properly exposed, or you can shoot so the stained glass is properly exposed. You can't do both with out some added light on the couple or blocking the outside light on the stained glass.

Sam

Yep. Or you can try speedbracketing (tripod highly recommended) but it would only work for a slow-action scenarios (weddings can be ok, though).
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    OK, I just woke up..................put the camera on a tripod. Take an image of the stained glass properly exposed. Then have the couple move in and take an image with them properly exposed. Merge / mask / etc in Photoshop.

Sam