Sigma DP2 or DP2s opinions

wpbarrwpbarr Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
edited November 5, 2010 in Cameras
I'm hoping to get some opinions and perspectives about the Sigma DP2/DP2s
cameras. There are no stores within a thousand miles that seems to sell these so in lieu of some hands-on time, I'm reaching out to the collective wisdom. I've read all the reviews, seen the photos, etc.

What do you like about it?

What do you hate about it?

Is it reasonably intuitive to use?

Do the electronics "stay out of the way"?

What kinds of photos/subjects is it great for?

What kinds of photos/subjects does it suck at?

Anything else?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Bill
--
Bill Barr
6x7, 35mm, m4/3

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited November 4, 2010
    What sorts of photography would you wish to do with the Sigma DP2/SP2S?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    What do you like about it?
    Image quality is beyond good. Like it makes me want to buy a Sigma SD1 as my main body good.

What do you hate about it?
    Color falls apart in higher ISO's. I would love it to have a faster lens - f2 would be great.

Is it reasonably intuitive to use?
    Yes. Once you learn the layout it's very quick to make any changes.

Do the electronics "stay out of the way"?
    I'm never slowed down by the electronic menus if that what you are getting at.

What kinds of photos/subjects is it great for?
    I use my as a personal camera that is small. Great for vacations, family shots, or practicing your skills. No need to worry about not being able to make a good print because you are using a pocket cam. No need to take my 5DII, the DP2 fits in my pocket!

What kinds of photos/subjects does it suck at?
    Fast moving subjects (AF is not that quick) with wide open aperture. Low light color photos.

Anything else?
    Simple, if you like taking quality photos buy it. Sync's at 1/2000th of a second.
  • bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    Pretty much what Patrick stated, I am rocking the DP1s for my 'travel camera' these days and love it. I knew going into it that it had some limitations such as...

- slow autofocus
    - ISO limitations
    - not the fastest lens

But the ability to have full manual control in a P&S with that amazing Foveon sensor is beyond worth it. Especially for the price, I got mine for $300 on Amazon. Its main purpose is to always be with me and capture landscape/street subjects during my travels when I don't want to lug the SLR around. So that is my initial thoughts on the DP1s, looks like the DP2 version is better in some ways so depending on what you are looking for I say knock yourself out.
  • wpbarrwpbarr Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2010
    Thank-you, both! I'm also very interested in the upcoming SD1 and wanted to see if the DP1 or 2 would be a good stepping stone for me to the Foveon. My current walkabout camera is a Lumix which has been good, but not great. I think I'll give the Sigma a try.

Bill
    --
    Bill Barr
    6x7, 35mm, m4/3