My first baby portraits (and new nephew!)

SaloSVSaloSV Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited November 4, 2010 in People
Ok Grinners! Time to let me have it.

http://www.tommygunphotos.com/Portraits/Children/14457722_AEJMR

I took these on location at the parent's home. This is all natural light save for the practical lamp that highlights the wall in the background.

I think my problem was, I didn't plan the poses before hand. So I went into the shoot having no idea what I was going to do. While that was quite fun, it was still a little nerve racking (even though it was family) and I probably won't be able to get away with that with a real client whom I do not know personally.

Setup:
Canon 1D Mark I (yes, ye old original 1D)
Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM II

Post notes:
I brought up the exposure on the baby faces and once on dad's face usually no more than 1/3 stop. Added some sharpening to some eyeballs sometimes, but not much. Often for portraits I will go in and bring up the retinas, but this baby didn't really have colored eyes that popped, so I don't like to veer too far from what is natural. No cropping, cuz my censor is only 4.15mpx, plus I come from a motion picture background, so framing is very important to me.

Anyways, constructive feedback welcome.

Thanks!

Comments

• JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    I think these are really fabulous! I love the look, the warmth, everything. :)
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    I think these are really fabulous! I love the look, the warmth, everything. :)

I disagree about the warmth, they look a little *too* warm for me, it could be the laptop monitor. The last one wasn't warmed at all, which takes away from it a little bit.

Congrats on the nephew, they're loads of fun!
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    Nice job for the first time. There is only so much "planning" to do with babies, you never know how they will react, if they will be sleepy or wide awake.
    The color is a bit warm, I like it that way but maybe cool it just a tad. The baby's eyes look a bit soft, but better that than over done.
    With the Dad , I'd smooth out the skin on his back just a bit so we aren't wondering if these are freckles or pimples. Maybe crop as much of his back out of the photo. I do love his foot but you could try a secondary crop much closer for another option.
    Overall a very nice set !!! The parents must be thrilled to have these photos!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700