Options

Software to merge multiple white balances

nickeverettnickeverett Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited November 4, 2010 in Finishing School
I was wondering if anyone here could help me.

Last winter I saw an online demo of a piece of software that allowed the user to white balance a scene that contained multiple light sources at different colour temperatures. I can't remember the name of the software. To give you a better idea of what the software did, here is a description of the demo.

The demo image was a kitchen. There were three types of light sources. Light from a window at 5600k, a tungsten above the cooker at 3200k and a a spot light hitting some copper pans on the wall at 4300k.

The software allowed the user to input three image; one for each white balance. It then combined all three images to produce an photo where all three light sources appear to be correctly white balanced.
It also allowed you to further adjust each light source in intensity and colour temperature. i.e. turn day to night etc.

Does anyone know the software I'm talking about. I'm keen to find it.

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    A dual illuminant DNG profile?

I would think if you have three vastly different light sources and balanced a mix, it could look pretty ugly. In reality you can only WB on one item, it might be the predominate color or not and you’ll have to season to taste. All colors that differ will shift, there’s nothing you can do about that.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2010

Last winter I saw an online demo of a piece of software that allowed the user to white balance a scene that contained multiple light sources at different colour temperatures. I can't remember the name of the software. To give you a better idea of what the software did, here is a description of the demo.

The demo image was a kitchen. There were three types of light sources. Light from a window at 5600k, a tungsten above the cooker at 3200k and a a spot light hitting some copper pans on the wall at 4300k.

The software allowed the user to input three image; one for each white balance. It then combined all three images to produce an photo where all three light sources appear to be correctly white balanced.
    It also allowed you to further adjust each light source in intensity and colour temperature. i.e. turn day to night etc.

Does anyone know the software I'm talking about. I'm keen to find it.

I remember the software, but can't think of the name. headscratch.gif It did look pretty unwieldy: you needed to take multiple pictures with each illuminant on and off.

There are at least two raw converters that I know of that allow you to white balance based on "regions" of a single image: Bibble 5 and LightZone.
  • Options
    ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2010

[...]
    Guess you mean Oloneo. Still in public beta and I believe it will take some time until it goes RC.
  • Options
    nickeverettnickeverett Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    Thanks for all the replys.

Oloneo is the one I was thinking about. Its been driving me nuts all week trying to remember its name. Thanks!

Will check out the other ones you mentioned as well
  • Options
    ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    Thanks for all the replys.

Oloneo is the one I was thinking about. Its been driving me nuts all week trying to remember its name. Thanks!

Will check out the other ones you mentioned as well
    You are welcome.
    Yepp, the name for sure is not very memorable, but I believe it will be a great HDR soft - until then they need to elliminate some "Kinderkrankheiten" (= teething problems??) ;-)