Outdoor Theater

wpbarrwpbarr Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
edited November 5, 2010 in People
I have often found theater photography to be more difficult after the shoot than during. During the play, the director has already done a lot of the composition work for me with subject isolation, choreography, etc. After the shoot, I have to ask myself questions like which shot of the scene is best, or, who should the focal point be?

Which of these two do you prefer and why?

1028948684_Dhorv-M.jpg

1028948674_d2FMH-M.jpg

I prefer the second because the actors expression seems to tell a complete story. It reveals more about the dialogue between the main characters in the foreground than the characters are revealing.
--
Bill Barr
6x7, 35mm, m4/3

Comments

• Raina.RaeRaina.Rae Registered Users Posts: 205 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    I like the second one better. The framining draws attention towards him in both shots. Plus his expression in the second shot brings a life to the photo and seems to have more of a story then the first one.
  • FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    #1 is the proper composition!
    Unless you were meaning to catch a family member in the picture then that makes it OK.(To you) When you are obtaining proper composition your trying to convey a story or a scene. When you focus on the single person in the rear you lose that in which you want to capture. By having the three subjects at the foreground in focus you can better understand what the picture is about.

Brady
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
  • wpbarrwpbarr Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2010
    Both, thank-you very much for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it!
    --
    Bill Barr
    6x7, 35mm, m4/3
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2010
    The second one pulls me in more, just because of that great expression! Great colors, too!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography