A few selections from Zion

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited November 9, 2010 in Landscapes
I was in Zion National Park for five nights this past week hoping to catch some fall colors, they didn't start to turn until just before I left (and should be at peak now), but even without them, it was an amazing experience.

#1: Sunset in Zion Canyon

1076912597_WABaC-L.jpg

#2: The Virgin River Narrows

1078214101_BPQ68-L.jpg

#3: Wall Street in the Virgin River Narrows

1078222462_Kskmg-L.jpg

#4: Sandstone on the Zion Plateau

1075630200_hzBKn-L-1.jpg

#5: The Watchman at Sunset

1077376768_t8RgT-L.jpg

#6: Star Trails on the Zion Plateau

1075740696_UgncE-L.jpg

#7: The Subway

1076994152_hATFf-L.jpg

#8: The Subway

1076991693_ncpDn-L.jpg

#9: The Subway

1076990552_3gGZ6-L.jpg

#10: Cascades along North Creek

1076987119_XCW6Y-L.jpg

Comments

• bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2010
    Fan-freakin-tastic shots. Wow.
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2010
    Congratulations on some fantastic photographs. #7 & #9 catch my eye the most - the green color is wonderful. Thank you for sharing.
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2010
    Great Shots! You were all over the place and must have hiked 10-15 miles! The Subway shots are wonderful. How was the hike in?....I've been considering it.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2010
    bryanj87 wrote: »
    Fan-freakin-tastic shots. Wow.

Thanks Bryan, I wish I had more than 5 nights, there's still a lot of shots left that I want to try and a few I want to try over. I guess I'll have to save it for next year.
    Congratulations on some fantastic photographs. #7 & #9 catch my eye the most - the green color is wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks, the Subway is really cool, it looked better on this trip than my previous visit last September.
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    Great Shots! You were all over the place and must have hiked 10-15 miles! The Subway shots are wonderful. How was the hike in?....I've been considering it.

Well... the hike isn't too difficult from a physical standpoint (not a lot of elevation gain). The trail isn't really maintained, there's just a bunch of paths that people have made over time, and in some places there is no path. There is some rock and boulder hopping too, and you have to criss cross the creek numerous times (it's never more than knee deep and you can usually navigate across without getting more than your feet wet). I would recommend that you bring trekking poles for balance and speed. As long as you just continue upstream you'll be OK, you'll come to the cascades in #10 and then a few minutes later you'll be at the Subway. I don't remember how long it took, something like 2-2.5 hours each way. You'll have to stop by the visitor center and get a permit, but I've never had a problem getting one for the next day, but I haven't gone during peak season.
  • EnlightphotoEnlightphoto Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2010
    Ah...Zion; how can you go wrong. All are very nice. For me, Startrails is over the top sweet.
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2010
    Awesome, really awesome! The subway shots are so cool. I need to get back up there sometime soon.
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2010
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2010
    Really cool set, Ron!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2010
    Great set Ron. Love your take on the Subway, it is on my bucket list, although I best do it before i get too old as it is a bit of a hike as you mentioned. Love the swirls.
  • eMOJOeMOJO Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    Awesome shots and a great series as always Ron... well done bowdown.gif
    If you can't see the bright side of life...
    POLISH THE DARK SIDE

edited November 7, 2010
    Ah...Zion; how can you go wrong. All are very nice. For me, Startrails is over the top sweet.

Thanks, I wish I would have taken some more star trails but the light pollution was crazy, it was only after I got home that I thought of converting it to B&W and neutralizing that!
    jamesl wrote: »
    Awesome, really awesome! The subway shots are so cool. I need to get back up there sometime soon.

So do I. 5 days is just long enough to learn what I should have done differently and too short to do anything about it!
    sgonen wrote: »
    Superb!

Thanks!
    Really cool set, Ron!

Thanks Awais!
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Great set Ron. Love your take on the Subway, it is on my bucket list, although I best do it before i get too old as it is a bit of a hike as you mentioned. Love the swirls.

I wouldn't be intimidated by the hike, just take your time, get there early, bring a lot of water, and expect that the trail won't be visible for half of it :)
    eMOJO wrote: »
    Awesome shots and a great series as always Ron... well done bowdown.gif

Thanks!
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    Nice work.

Hoping next time I go there I can do the Subway hike. No chance in hell I could do it while there due to medical issues. Ugh.. Fun fun..

Makes me want to jump in the car and head back that way... that's for sure.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    Ron, setting the standards for yet another part of the US!
  • BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    Lub the subway shots (and all of them).

Thanks!
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    Awesome shots Ron! #9 is my favorite; I like the color and the movement of the leaves in the water.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 8, 2010
    Great shots, Ron!!! 5 days, huh? I bet you still have a ton of shots to process.
    edited November 8, 2010
    Nice work.

Hoping next time I go there I can do the Subway hike. No chance in hell I could do it while there due to medical issues. Ugh.. Fun fun..

Makes me want to jump in the car and head back that way... that's for sure.

I want to do that too, although it's a 15 hour drive (I've done it before!). The Narrows hike is a lot of fun too.
    schmoo wrote: »
    Ron, setting the standards for yet another part of the US!

Thanks, I really want to go back and try a few more of these shots out and a few new ones I didn't get to but were thinking about. You would think 5 days would be long enough but it's just enough to make you want more.
    Blackwood wrote: »
    Lub the subway shots (and all of them).

Thanks!

Thanks, it's definitely a cool spot.
    Awesome shots Ron! #9 is my favorite; I like the color and the movement of the leaves in the water.

Kristine

I really need to get an ND filter, sometimes f/22 @ ISO 50 isn't long enough :)
    kdog wrote: »
    Great shots, Ron!!! 5 days, huh? I bet you still have a ton of shots to process.

There's a few "complicated" shots (exposure blends) I haven't got to yet and maybe a few others. All of these shots were single shot exposures. I really want to go back to the SW again.
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    I really enjoy looking at youre work you've got game:)Beautiful set:)
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote: »
    I want to do that too, although it's a 15 hour drive (I've done it before!). The Narrows hike is a lot of fun too.

Thanks, I really want to go back and try a few more of these shots out and a few new ones I didn't get to but were thinking about. You would think 5 days would be long enough but it's just enough to make you want more.

Just 15 hours? Heh, it takes me that just to get to Denver. 27 hours from Chicago to Zion. If it were 15, I think I'd do it more. :D

Wish I had 5 days there, had 2. So all I did was the lower/middle/upper pools and those were OK, but by no means the narrows or Subway. :(
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    Incredible photos Ron!! All are great, but I really like The Watchman in #5!! Very nice colors and compositions!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • CanonFanCanonFan Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    I love the silky look.
    Capture the Light!

Franklin, NC