What size matte for 16x24 photo?

TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
edited November 15, 2010 in Finishing School
Hello,

Hope this is in the correct forum....

I'm going to order a 16x24 landscape print from SmugMug (first time!) I have two choices for matt size 1) 20x28 (2" border) or 2) 24x32 (4" border). Which size do you think is the better proportion? Also, with a print of this size, would a double matt look better?

Thanks

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2010
    for me it would depend on the size and style of the frame.......I probably would go with the 2 inch..........
    Have you thought about a stretched canvas print...no mat or frame needed.......Just an idea.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    Art, thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of a Nielsen Metal Frame 11 or 12 from www.framedestination.com I really prefer the classic black frame and white matt. I like the stretched canvas, just not ready for it...yet. The 2" should work well in probably a single matt...and will save a bit of money per frame.

I also wonder about going frameless...but think a print would look better on a white wall rather than my light taupe colored walls.

Trey
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    I find it helps me a lot to mock up frames/mats to scale in a paint/draw program to see which border widths and proportions I prefer. You can even "virtually" hang it on a photo of your wall!
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    Go with the 4" mat on each side. It really helps to isolate and put the focus on the image. in general, the larger the print the larger the mat.

Sam
  • CanonFanCanonFan Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    I generally decide by where its going to hang. I tend to buy pre-made frames because of the cost and go from there. I would go to next size pre-made and then get a custom mat cut to fit. Two mats usually dress up the photo a lot but it all adds up in the wallet. A 20 x 24 frame will look right, most times.
    Capture the Light!

Franklin, NC
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Go with the 4" mat on each side. It really helps to isolate and put the focus on the image. in general, the larger the print the larger the mat.
    thumb.gif
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Thanks Guys,

Here is a mock-up of one of my photos with 2" & 4" matt and 3/8" black frame. I do like the 4" border.

1092081020_244wa-X2.jpg