Options

>>> vote for challenge 15 winner <<<

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited July 3, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
this week, i employed the services of a very fine photographer as guest assistant judge.

jim fuglestad

i've known jim for a while and i highly value his skills and artistic talent. jim came up with half of the finalists, and i came up with half.

seemoon, wings
5424867-L.jpg

jimf, you want motion? we got motion?

CRW_3625.sized.jpg

davidto, happy feet

5479637-M.jpg

ginger, summertime

5551316-L.jpg

tmlphoto, morning commute

5424582-L.jpg

lynnesite, charge!

5568979-L.jpg

pathfinder, girl on a log

5569412-L.jpg

spockling, leap of faith
5583257-L.jpg

wxwax, kids in puddle

5582126-L.jpg

rutt, heading for home

5575220-L.jpg

please choose the winner of challenge 15, "movement" 33 votes

seemoon, "wings"
24% 8 votes
jimf, "you want motion? we got motion"
9% 3 votes
davidto, "happy feet"
6% 2 votes
ginger, "summertime"
3% 1 vote
tmlphoto, "morning commute"
9% 3 votes
lynnesite, "charge"
12% 4 votes
pathfinder, "girl on a log"
3% 1 vote
spockling, "leap of faith"
3% 1 vote
wxwax, "kids in puddle"
21% 7 votes
rutt, "heading for home"
9% 3 votes

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    Hey Andy, summut's up with Jim's link.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    fixed...
    wxwax wrote:
    Hey Andy, summut's up with Jim's link.

i fat-fingered it.

thanks.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i fat-fingered it.

thanks.

thumb.gif Great work, Jim. An education, too. I learned a lot from just two images on Jim's Photographer's Statement page. On the bottom of the fourth paragraph he writes about shooting something as he wants to remember it, rather than how it was. Comparing the two photos is a revelation, for me at any rate.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    These shots look great. Really great. Tough challenge, and awesome results.

Question for Andy:

is the limitation (which is not always observed by entrants) on picture size (medium for landscape, large for portrait) imposed for practical (download speed) reasons, or to even out the competition, i.e. remove any advantage a larger image might have over a smaller one?

I was just noticing that the size criteria aren't being followed all the time, and I wonder what we should do about it?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    These shots look great. Really great. Tough challenge, and awesome results.

Question for Andy:

is the limitation (which is not always observed by entrants) on picture size (medium for landscape, large for portrait) imposed for practical (download speed) reasons, or to even out the competition, i.e. remove any advantage a larger image might have over a smaller one?

I was just noticing that the size criteria aren't being followed all the time, and I wonder what we should do about it?

the only limitation is 800 px max on the longest side, and file size 150kb or less.

are there violators i should swat some? tell! tell! -L for portrait orientation and -M for landscape orientation (on smugmug) is just a guide, -L is fine for all if you want.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    andy wrote:
    the only limitation is 800 px max on the longest side, and file size 150kb or less.

are there violators i should swat some? tell! tell! -L for portrait orientation and -M for landscape orientation (on smugmug) is just a guide, -L is fine for all if you want.

Thanks for clarifying. I don't know how many pixels I'm getting with M or L, I was just doing what you said. Makes me think that I'll post M for the comments thread to save on the download time for all, but maybe post L for my submissions.

And really for me it's NOT about my submission or chances this time, but about creating an even playing field for all. I am very happy with my shot as a picture of my daughter, but personally as far as an expression of the theme, I think it is mediocre. Just my opinion about it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    Thanks for clarifying. I don't know how many pixels I'm getting with M or L, I was just doing what you said. Makes me think that I'll post M for the comments thread to save on the download time for all, but maybe post L for my submissions.

And really for me it's NOT about my submission or chances this time, but about creating an even playing field for all. I am very happy with my shot as a picture of my daughter, but personally as far as an expression of the theme, I think it is mediocre. Just my opinion about it.

sure, but don't underestimate the judging talent of your benevolent host and your fellow entrants rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    andy wrote:
    sure, but don't underestimate the judging talent of your benevolent host and your fellow entrants rolleyes1.gif

I never do. Like Ginger said, I wouldn't want to have to narrow these down like you do, and as for the rest, diversity of opinions is what makes this so great.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    David, it looks like smugmug's 'L' size maxes out at 800 on the largest side. 800 is the max allowable for the contest. So that's why Andy is saying the 'L' size is OK for entries.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    seemoon - "wings"
    5424867-S.jpg

everything's right here - the compo, the amount of movement, and the crisp focus on just the important part of the image. i really like this one a lot.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    jimf - youwant motion?
    again, the elements (for me) are here: just the right amount of movement, a sharp focus part of the main subject, and a delicious main subject, too. i think the shot is a tad u.e. though, nothting that couldn't be fixed in ps with an easy levels or curves adjustment layer with a mask.

CRW_3625.sized.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    davidto - happy feet
    5479637-M.jpg

i would have just toned down the saturation on the grass by about 30% or so. it seems a bit too much to me. otherwise, i really dig this image, the expression on the subject is priceless, the movement is evident and there. great title, too.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    ginger - summertime
    now here, i like the bright saturated tennis balls, and the blown light coming in from the window. ginger this is a simple composition that was very difficult to photograph, i'm sure. congrats on a fine image, spot on for the challenge.

5551316-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    tmlphoto - morning commute
    i think you'd have won if this was a landscape contest ... great shot. subtle movement, but good movement. the rich colors and big sun are the main theme here, though.

5424582-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    lynnesite - charge!
    this certainly is a stunner. i like the shot. i'd love it if the horse were coming at me instead of going away, and if there were just a bit more movement in the hooves. congrats on a cool image, and lovely toned bw conversion.

5568979-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    pathfinder - girl on log
    this is a lovely abstract-y kind of shot, and i really liked it. put 20 of these up on the wall of a gallery and they'd sell. i'm serious.

5569412-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    spockling - leap of faith
    a fun image for sure... would like to see a bit more movement though, and also a bit more exposure on the underside of the the subject (face esp). finally, apply some noise reduction to the sky.

5583257-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    wxwax - boys in puddle
    waxy i really like this one, it belongs in your sunday newspaper this july or august. you should submit it. great shot.

5582126-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    rutt - heading for home
    rutt, this is a cool action shot. more exposure on the face though, he's too dark imo. i like the composition / crop very much. for movement, it would be better if there was more motion blur imo. finally, i'd like to see more of his face...then it would really be dramatic to me.

5575220-S.jpg
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2004
    Andy, I appreciate it.........that was a good Challenge for me.
    I understand movement, and I guess I will know quality of light when I see it, smile. (That was a bit of a cop out, Andy, Laughing.gif)

Thanks Andy, those are great comments, helpful and supportive.
    So how are you doing up on dpreview? I am too wiped out to get up there.

Last I heard, you were in charge, as you were the previous winner, are you through with that? Are you competing yet?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited July 3, 2004
    andy wrote:
    this is a lovely abstract-y kind of shot, and i really liked it. put 20 of these up on the wall of a gallery and they'd sell. i'm serious.

5569412-S.jpg
    Andy, I'll tell you my little secret about this shot - I was down right at waterlevel setting up to shoot a time exposure of a waterfall going over a log - the camera was set on mirror lock up. the self timer was selected , and I was just placing the camera into the tripod when this lovely young lady in a tiny pink bikini decides to cross the log across the top of the waterfall going right by me!!- and here I am with my camera all locked up into long time exposures!!! SO I quickly yank it off the tripod, and fire one handheld time exposure with the mirror locked upLaughing.gif I thought I was wasting my time!! - very frustrated! - but when I got the image on my computer, I thought hmmmmm.... motion - yeah, this will work for motion. I am glad you liked my grab shot Andy. I guess I learned that you should never give up and just keep on shooting no matter what.Laughing.gif

Later I got several frames of the teenagers jumping into the base of the falls like this one ..... This young man only finally committed after the girls had all jumped two or three times..... The young ladies all had grit!

5707968-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    Thanks again Andy, for your time and effort to give all those comments! I was just about ready to practice shutterspeed with my new camera when I saw the picture of the soldier saying goodbye to his family with all the movement in it, remember? I was so inspired and am so glad it was chosen as a challenge subject; about every pic I took since then has some amount of movement in it! Too see what everybody else did was a really good learning experience for me as well! Thanks you all! thumb.gif
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    Oh, and wxwax; everytime I look at "kids in a puddle" it makes me smile! What a happy picture.. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2004
    Thanks Andy, what a gentleman you are for giving feedback on the photos. thumb.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    Oh, and wxwax; everytime I look at "kids in a puddle" it makes me smile! What a happy picture.. clap.gif
    :D Thanks SeeMoon, you're very kind! 1drink.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I understand movement, and I guess I will know quality of light when I see it, smile. (That was a bit of a cop out, Andy, Laughing.gif)

Thanks Andy, those are great comments, helpful and supportive.
    So how are you doing up on dpreview? I am too wiped out to get up there.

Last I heard, you were in charge, as you were the previous winner, are you through with that? Are you competing yet?

ginger

hi ginger - the way it works on the stf at dpreview is that the winner hosts the next challenge. so that's done (it was a great challenge - all about wide angle..) now i can compete again ;-)

thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Andy, I'll tell you my little secret about this shot - I was down right at waterlevel setting up to shoot a time exposure of a waterfall going over a log - the camera was set on mirror lock up. the self timer was selected , and I was just placing the camera into the tripod when this lovely young lady in a tiny pink bikini decides to cross the log across the top of the waterfall going right by me!!- and here I am with my camera all locked up into long time exposures!!! SO I quickly yank it off the tripod, and fire one handheld time exposure with the mirror locked upLaughing.gif I thought I was wasting my time!! - very frustrated! - but when I got the image on my computer, I thought hmmmmm.... motion - yeah, this will work for motion. I am glad you liked my grab shot Andy. I guess I learned that you should never give up and just keep on shooting no matter what.Laughing.gif

Later I got several frames of the teenagers jumping into the base of the falls like this one ..... This young man only finally committed after the girls had all jumped two or three times..... The young ladies all had grit!

5707968-S.jpg

heh heh - very cool, sometimes we get lucky, eh? but then, i believe you make your own luck by being in the right place, at the right time, and having the skills and "eye" to do what you did... congrats and i like the boy pic too.