PP on these kids...works?

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited November 7, 2010 in People
Hi all,

I am currently doing some of my first photo shoots, with studio lights. I posted one of the pictures on a thread earlier.
I am trying to see what I can do with the shots I got (which were ok for a first shoot, but obviously needed something else). So, here I am asking your opinion on the processing of these shots, whether it suits the kids in the shot.
I know the background is not so good, but it's all I had. I am replacing it with a white sheet next time, however, I actually quite like it in this PP, but what do you think?

5154166636_f5edc9f84e_z.jpg
ellie LOMO by Bend The Light, on Flickr

5153561517_0bb04b12c0_z.jpg
ethan lomo by Bend The Light, on Flickr

Thanks, in anticipation of your feedback.

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    Very cool, especially for your first shoot like this thumb.gif
    I know the background is not so good, but it's all I had.
    I think the color isn't bad and certainly can be used as a background; I just think you should have ironed your background :D

I like the style of the processing, but I'm more of a fan of the processing in the second one. The first one is too greenish in her face, I think, for me.
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    ivar wrote: »
    Very cool, especially for your first shoot like this thumb.gif
    I think the color isn't bad and certainly can be used as a background; I just think you should have ironed your background :D

I like the style of the processing, but I'm more of a fan of the processing in the second one. The first one is too greenish in her face, I think, for me.

Wow...super fast feedback. Thanks.

Yes, the iron...You can tell I'm a novice, eh? I'll definitely remember that for next time.

I am colour blind, which is a pain. I don't see the green at all in her face. The second is the exact same processing, but obviously slightly different colours to start with gave different results. I shall re-do the first and see if I can get it right...might need the wife to look at it with me! :)

Cheers
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    I am colour blind, which is a pain. I don't see the green at all in her face.

You're color blind?! What a challenge when processing and even taking photos in the first place. What method do you use to process?

I pretty much agree with what Ivar said about the photos themselves.
    edited November 7, 2010
    met wrote: »
    You're color blind?! What a challenge when processing and even taking photos in the first place. What method do you use to process?

I pretty much agree with what Ivar said about the photos themselves.

Erm...I do it and hope for the best! Then see if people tell me it's all wrong, or not. :)

I am looking for ways to match colours to known colours...suing colour charts and so on. The problems are only with certain colours, of course. When I was a kid, a lot of skies in my pictures were purple, not blue.

Thanks for the critique, though.

Cheers
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    Ditto on the above -- first one is too green for my taste. Second one is cool.

The standard for known color is to use a grey card to set the white balance. Generally I like things a little warmer than the card says.
    X-Rite has a more sophisticated system that uses a color card, but I haven't tried it.

On the first one, try using the white of her eye to get a starting point for white.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited November 7, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Ditto on the above -- first one is too green for my taste. Second one is cool.

The standard for known color is to use a grey card to set the white balance. Generally I like things a little warmer than the card says.
    X-Rite has a more sophisticated system that uses a color card, but I haven't tried it.

On the first one, try using the white of her eye to get a starting point for white. It will likely still be off to the blue side of things, but it is a good start.

I shall have a look into that.

I forgot to take a white balance properly (I am a novice!) but I did another shoot today, and I did one this time, so hopefully I will have no casts...We'll see.

Thanks
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    OK.................Since you are color blind I would really recommend you research how to process color by the numbers. How to set a custom White balance. You can't rely on your clients to tell you about color casts.

I have read about several photographers who are color blind and do very well with color. Goggle this.

Get a system down and then have your wife or someone else with a critical eye do a final color quality check prior to releasing or posting images.

Sam