Herring Tower, Isle of Man

AdamKAdamK Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited November 8, 2010 in Landscapes
Been really horrible weather on the Isle of Man and this is one of the days where it hasn't been raining so I thought I would do a bit of photography. Oh I would love some C&C :D.

5154612231_581a3ae118_z.jpg
Herring Tower

Comments

• TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    Good to get out between rains to capture the stormy skies! I like the image and subject matter; the colors are good and the clouds are nice. It looks like your ND filter darkened the top of the tower though....maybe you can selectively brighten this area up. I also think a tighter crop zoning in on the tower would be better....a little less sky.
  • AdamKAdamK Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    Good to get out between rains to capture the stormy skies! I like the image and subject matter; the colors are good and the clouds are nice. It looks like your ND filter darkened the top of the tower though....maybe you can selectively brighten this area up. I also think a tighter crop zoning in on the tower would be better....a little less sky.

Ok I shall do that and as I do not know how to selectively brighten an area this should be a challenge. :D Thankyou :)
    edited November 8, 2010
    5157820474_709d09698e_z.jpg

Tower lightened and a tighter crop :D
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    I like this image. The tighter crop works for me, and you brought out the detail on the tower well. I'd work on it some more, because I think it's worth the effort. I would gradually darken the bottom corners to draw the eye more to the tower, and I think I'd try to bring out some more dramatic tonal range in the sky.

Well spotted and well captured.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited November 8, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    I like this image. The tighter crop works for me, and you brought out the detail on the tower well. I'd work on it some more, because I think it's worth the effort. I would gradually darken the bottom corners to draw the eye more to the tower, and I think I'd try to bring out some more dramatic tonal range in the sky.

Well spotted and well captured.

Thanks Icebear! Well I have spent about 2 hours on it, and well I have done all you said and a few things I thought could of been better. I wasn't happy with the crop myself because it was too much centre so I have cropped it to be in the same place it was in the original but tightened the photo more. I graduated the bottom and gave the sky a bit of a dramatic look with the sky.
    It has been a good learning session with the almighty tools of photoshop. Thanks again Icebear. :)
    edited November 8, 2010
    This is the result:

5158467045_0fd64d058a_z.jpg
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    Oh, yes. Worth every minute you spent on it!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited November 8, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    Oh, yes. Worth every minute you spent on it!

Thanks Icebear, you have taught me photoshop is quite an important part to bring out the photograph! Thankyou Icebear
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    You've done some great improvements One final thing....you might straighten the tower to be perfectly vertical...just an objective opinion.
    edited November 8, 2010
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    You've done some great improvements One final thing....you might straighten the tower to be perfectly vertical...just an objective opinion.

Ok I have straightened it I probably won't put it online as it is only slight and not worth putting up but if it's a huge thing I could ne_nau.gif Thankyou Treyhoff! :D