Looking for some feedback on VBall team shots

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited November 9, 2010 in People
This is for middle school (5/6 and 7/8 teams). Our gym is particularly ugly (yellow upper walls and sort of an ugly blue/green on the padding). Therefore I wasn't wanting a lot of the gym showing. For the team shots, they wanted the net in the b/g, and I told them to ditch it for the individuals.

I know that I didn't get the hair light properly aligned (using my speedlits for that with a little grid on it). In the team shot, I'm thinking the back lights could have some around from the far side of the net to have provided some rim lighting while catching the net as well.

Other feedback/comments are most
1. 7/8 girls. One in the back showed up in sweats...I think I hid the sweat pants pretty well.
1078626957_Pyz9y-XL.jpg

1076260640_Reu6o-XL-1.jpg

1076266563_Ne9TE-XL-1.jpg

4. Our smallest player... That ball isn't highly distorted in size...
1076268437_YckS9-XL-1.jpg

5. Shot using the 4x6 SB as the b/g w/o any other fill
1078627569_tGmNH-XL.jpg

Thanks.
-a
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    #5 is awesome! thumb.gif
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 7, 2010
    Great shots! I'm sure the parent love 'em. Last one is very cool indeed.
  • CASowersCASowers Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    Agree with you on the rim lighting in the team shot, but in all honesty that's a nit for you. I'm sure the parents, coaches and school admins are thilled with the results. Great set and #5 is just outstanding!
    Chris Sowers
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    Great photos.

I don't care for the arms crossed on the back row, but thats a minor issue.

Your lighting on the individual shots look great. Nice job eliminating the unattractive gym elements.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    Thanks for the validation. The team and school are quite happy.
    Thanks for the pointer on arms.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • ows4428ows4428 Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    CASowers wrote: »
    Agree with you on the rim lighting in the team shot, but in all honesty that's a nit for you. I'm sure the parents, coaches and school admins are thilled with the results. Great set and #5 is just outstanding!

I agree with this. In a forum full of photography enthusiasts, there might be a few nits on the technical aspects. But to parents and everyone associated with the team, these are outstanding. Way better than all my little league baseball photos I've ever been in.
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    Yes it needs some separation from the background but that's just a minor nit. Other than that they are fantastic! The last one is really cool
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    #3 and #5 are my faves!
    Canon Fan
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    ows4428 wrote: »
    I agree with this. In a forum full of photography enthusiasts, there might be a few nits on the technical aspects. But to parents and everyone associated with the team, these are outstanding. Way better than all my little league baseball photos I've ever been in.
    But in the end, that's why I post them, to get the technical issues ironed out. I'd rather consciously decide to blow off getting the rim light set up than have a strobe there but mis-used it and not gotten the effect I would have rather had.

Thanks for the kudos, though... :D
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • ows4428ows4428 Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    But in the end, that's why I post them, to get the technical issues ironed out. I'd rather consciously decide to blow off getting the rim light set up than have a strobe there but mis-used it and not gotten the effect I would have rather had.

Thanks for the kudos, though... :D

Absolutely, and I'm glad you do post them. The more feedback you get, the more you will learn.