Columbia Gorge Images

Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
edited November 9, 2010 in Landscapes
Just got back from a great workshop from Washington thru Oregon hosted by Marc Adamus. We spent 6 days with cloudy/rainy weather following us that worked for us and sometimes against us when photographing the coast and falls.
I'm still processing the coast shots but thought I'd post some of my C. Gorge photos. I'm notorious for mixing up the location names so please correct me if I've done it again.

All C.C. are welcome.

1. Elowah Falls
ElowahFallsWeb.jpg

2. Elowah Falls
ElowahFalls2.jpg

3. Pony Tail falls
PonyTailFallsWeb2.jpg

4. Dry Creek Falls
DryCreekfalls3.jpg

5. Pony Tail Falls
PonyTailFallsWeb.jpg

6. Pony Tail Falls Creek
PonyTailFallsCreek.jpg

7.Dry Creek Falls Creek
DryCreekStreamWeb.jpg

Comments

• Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    A lovely set. The colour of the rocks is really nice. I must rty this sort of thing myself...it looks great!
  • jeeprjeepr Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    Beautiful shots. I really like the greens with all the colorful foilage. Looks like a beautiful area to photograph. Thanks for sharing.
    Please don't edit my images or use them without my permisson.
    Amanda's | Photocreations
    http://amandasphotocreations.smugmug.com/
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    Really Nice Set. I really like No. 3 with the rocks and leaves in the foreground and you can see the bottom of the falls. Great Job!
  • JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    Nice set this is the perfect time of year for the Gorge I live so close I forget how Amazing it is year round and the colors now are Wow =]
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    Very cool set! I really need to visit Dry Creek Falls, that basalt is awesome (probably my favorite photo of the series). Great colors with the oranges and greens. I was just at Elowah Falls this morning, with the recent rain it's flowing a lot more than it was two weeks ago.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    "A lovely set. The colour of the rocks is really nice. I must rty this sort of thing myself...it looks great!"
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->_Thanks, the overcast sky really helped saturate the colors for us._________________

"Beautiful shots. I really like the greens with all the colorful foilage. Looks like a beautiful area to photograph. Thanks for sharing."
    Thanks Jeepr, it was my first visit to this area and needless to say I fired off a lot of shots. the entire C. Gorge area is absolutely gorgeous this time of the year.

"Really Nice Set. I really like No. 3 with the rocks and leaves in the foreground and you can see the bottom of the falls. Great Job!"
    Thanks Trey, Pony tail falls you can actually walk completely around the back of the falls, it an interesting perspective.

"Nice set this is the perfect time of year for the Gorge I live so close I forget how Amazing it is year round and the colors now are Wow =]"
    thanks Jonny. you're a lucky guy to have such a beautiful area close by, I can't wait to get back next year. Probably spend some time in Hood River.

"Very nice!"
    Thanks FlyNavy.

"Very cool set! I really need to visit Dry Creek Falls, that basalt is awesome (probably my favorite photo of the series). Great colors with the oranges and greens. I was just at Elowah Falls this morning, with the recent rain it's flowing a lot more than it was two weeks ago."
    Thanks Ron, I saw your set two weeks ago when you said the peak colors were about a week out and you were right! Yea, Dry Creek Falls is really unusual, the rock walls surrounding the falls looked like they were serrated verticle rock layers. have fun at Elowah.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    Nice work, Doug! Some of the blacks are a little dark for my taste but your comps are nice and the subject matter certainly can't be beat.

Did you like the workshop? I'm signed up to go with Marc for the Eastern Sierra tour in March and I'm looking forward to it, but not sure what to expect.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    These are all wonderful images. They speak to me of rain forest (though I know the Columbia Gorge is not technically a rain forest.) The exposures and treatment do justice to the gorgeous subjects. I'm jealous of your location.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    Excellent set! I'd love to go on a workshop like this one day. I echo the comments on the deep shadows, as they seem just a bit too dark. Great job overall!
    edited November 8, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    Nice work, Doug! Some of the blacks are a little dark for my taste but your comps are nice and the subject matter certainly can't be beat.

Did you like the workshop? I'm signed up to go with Marc for the Eastern Sierra tour in March and I'm looking forward to it, but not sure what to expect.

Schmoo, I believe you will really like Marc, he is about 32 and has a passion for photography. He has a great eye for compositions and is more than happy to spend as much or as little time as you request in the field. He lives for finding the images that are off the grid and has beautiful technique when it comes to processing them. If you have seen his web gallery you know what I'm talking about.
    http://www.marcadamus.com/gallery.php

I car pooled with a gentleman who had taken about 4 workshops from Marc and his favorite by far was the Eastern Sierra. It is not a physically challenging w/s but be ready to do a lot of driving. He said he put on 1600 miles. part of the reason is Marc's itinerary is just "guidelines" and they found themselves chasing the weather and light from time to time, which meant changing locations.

also be prepared to get wet if there are lakes and or rivers. Marc is a firm believer that the most dramatic comps are sometimes those that require you to get in the middle of things. So waterproof rubber boots would be a huge help.

What you won't get from March is photo reviews or critiques or photoshop help. In fact you really don't need to bring your LT with you.
    He did give us his workflow and some tips but my guess is he likes to keep some of his techniques close to his vest. Although he is very artistic and that is hard to sometimes express in words.

hope that helps, you'll have a great time and I look forward to your photos.
    ps you are correct, I get a little heavy with the blacks in ACR, thanks.
    edited November 8, 2010
    "These are all wonderful images. They speak to me of rain forest (though I know the Columbia Gorge is not technically a rain forest.) The exposures and treatment do justice to the gorgeous subjects. I'm jealous of your location."
    Thanks Icebear, I agree these areas look very much like rainforest. In fact we went to the Hoh Rainforest in WA. although the rainforest was hard for me to pull out compositions...its absolutely beautiful but what the eye sees and what the camera takes are two different things. I much preferred the Gorge.

"Excellent set! I'd love to go on a workshop like this one day. I echo the comments on the deep shadows, as they seem just a bit too dark. Great job overall!"
    Thanks James, I highly recommend it. I agree with the too dark obersevation.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    "gorge"ous shots! i like #1 the best, but all are excellent. i love the rich greens of the moss in contrast with the water and the reds and golds of the leaves...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    Very nice set, Doug. You must have learned a lot from Adamus. Congratulations.
    edited November 9, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Very nice set, Doug. You must have learned a lot from Adamus. Congratulations.

Thanks Dlplumer, Marc is a very patient guy, which is what I really need, plus he is a natural at his profession.
    squirl033 wrote: »
    "gorge"ous shots! i like #1 the best, but all are excellent. i love the rich greens of the moss in contrast with the water and the reds and golds of the leaves...

Thanks much Squirl, I'm thinking #1 is my fav too. Hard not to come away with some good shots in this area.