Mini-Subway

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited November 9, 2010 in Landscapes
This was an 8 mile rt hike into Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona.

1081404981_JuXaw-XL-2.jpg

Comments

• PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    I like the way the rocks on either side guide your eye in following the stream. Nice!
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    Very nice composition and colors! Must have been an awesome hike. :)
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    PGM wrote: »
    I like the way the rocks on either side guide your eye in following the stream. Nice!

Thanks pgm
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 8, 2010
    Great shot, Dan!! I still see a lot of green there. Would you say the foliage is passed its peak, or not there yet?
    edited November 8, 2010
    I re-processed. Which do you prefer? Thanks:D

1082937183_bHoUv-XL-1.jpg
  • AdamKAdamK Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    The second one definitely the greens in the background are not washed out and the vibrancy really stands out. Really well done!
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    Nice shot! Yes....this is an improvement as you have darkened the background trees. I wonder if lightening the rock cliff might help and a bit more saturation to bring out the yellow leaves, but I like it the way it is too!
    edited November 8, 2010
    Well, I'm going to go against the grain here and say I mostly prefer the first one. I definitely like the crop on the second shot, as you have removed some cluttered rocks/trees from the left side. However, the light on the trees in the distance on the first shot is what gives it depth for me. Also, it naturally leads me into the image, along the curve of the river. By subduing it, IMO, you have kind of killed the depth. I think you could have pulled those highlights back just a little bit, and it would have worked.

Just my 2 cents. :)

James
    edited November 8, 2010
    jamesl wrote: »
    Well, I'm going to go against the grain here and say I mostly prefer the first one. I definitely like the crop on the second shot, as you have removed some cluttered rocks/trees from the left side. However, the light on the trees in the distance on the first shot is what gives it depth for me. Also, it naturally leads me into the image, along the curve of the river. By subduing it, IMO, you have kind of killed the depth. I think you could have pulled those highlights back just a little bit, and it would have worked.

Just my 2 cents. :)

James

I agree, and thank you James. Here is another attempt:

1083353926_UF9rw-XL.jpg
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »

1083353926_UF9rw-XL.jpg
    clap.gif

Third time for the WIN!!

Great shot Dan. Looks like it was worth the trip.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited November 8, 2010
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    clap.gif

Third time for the WIN!!

Thanks, manwings.gif
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    Yep, really like the third one also Dan!! It takes all of the best of the others and combines them to make a very nice photo! Looks like a great place to visit!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    clap.gif

Third time for the WIN!!

I'm late to this thread but I LOVE this shot and agree the third one is a real winner! Great job. Now I'm trying to figure out how I can get off work for the week to go somewhere that beautiful... Guess I'll just have to stare at your shot..
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    Yep....the third one does it. Nice Job.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    Next time start with the third version at the beginning so I can say I like it and not have to wait lol3.gif
    edited November 8, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote: »
    Next time start with the third version at the beginning so I can say I like it and not have to wait lol3.gif

Lol. Next time give me instant feedback/coaching :D
    edited November 9, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Great shot, Dan!! I still see a lot of green there. Would you say the foliage is passed its peak, or not there yet?

Thanks, Joel. As you hike into the canyon there is a lot more yellow than green. I think it might be a few days before peak.
    edited November 9, 2010
    You are welcome, and you definitely nailed it here! Great job! clap.gif
    dlplumer wrote: »

1083353926_UF9rw-XL.jpg
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    Another late arrival to this post, but evidently just in time for version #3 which looks fantastic. This spot is a great find, and the right time of year to add a punch of color.
    edited November 9, 2010
    AdamK wrote: »
    The second one definitely the greens in the background are not washed out and the vibrancy really stands out. Really well done!

Thanks Adam
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    Nice shot! Yes....this is an improvement as you have darkened the background trees. I wonder if lightening the rock cliff might help and a bit more saturation to bring out the yellow leaves, but I like it the way it is too!

Thanks Trey. Appreciate the feedback.
    ront wrote: »
    Yep, really like the third one also Dan!! It takes all of the best of the others and combines them to make a very nice photo! Looks like a great place to visit!!

Ron

Thank, as always, Ron
    CSwinton wrote: »
    I'm late to this thread but I LOVE this shot and agree the third one is a real winner! Great job. Now I'm trying to figure out how I can get off work for the week to go somewhere that beautiful... Guess I'll just have to stare at your shot..

Glad I could inspire you
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    Yep....the third one does it. Nice Job.

Thanks
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Another late arrival to this post, but evidently just in time for version #3 which looks fantastic. This spot is a great find, and the right time of year to add a punch of color.

Thanks, Doug