Options

Apple announces new 30" Display

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited June 30, 2004 in The Big Picture
Apple announced a new 30" display today, along with revisions to the 20" and 23" displays. They now come in an aluminum finish. I have not seen photos yet, but they sound really nice.

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Apple announced a new 30" display today, along with revisions to the 20" and 23" displays. They now come in an aluminum finish. I have not seen photos yet, but they sound really nice.

You been keeping up with the coverage? I love the reference Steve made to "ran into Bill Gates a few weeks ago" (as quoted on MacRumors).

Laughing.gif -- right -- those two just "run into" each other -- what, at the grocery store? "Hey hon, I was down at Safeway, and guess who I ran into? Bill Gates of all people!"
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    4.1 million pixels on that display, BTW
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    You been keeping up with the coverage? I love the reference Steve made to "ran into Bill Gates a few weeks ago" (as quoted on MacRumors).

Laughing.gif -- right -- those two just "run into" each other -- what, at the grocery store? "Hey hon, I was down at Safeway, and guess who I ran into? Bill Gates of all people!"

I'm following the coverage on macrumors too :)

Dave
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:

I am trying to keep up.

The 30" display will sell for $3299, and it requires a dual video card that sells for $599. I assume it only needs on expensive card and not two. That is a pricey display. I know that a new G5 is in my future along with a monitor, a 30" would be amazing, but that is a little much. I will have to take a look and compare the 20 and 23, one of those and a 22" Lacie and I will be a happy camper.

Tiger will also be 64 bit. I wonder if PS will update at the same time and what type of a bump in speed we will see from 64 bit processing? That will make a new G5 even nicer, great speed bump now and one next year with faster software. ne_nau.gif We can hope.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    I'm following the coverage on macrumors too :)

Dave

This site seems to be more robust, as far as loading and keeping up with the demand.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    I have been getting some other info from Thinksecret, here.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    from macobserver:

Steve is now talking about something called Automater, and he brought "Saul" up on stage to demo it. Automater effectively is a trainable app for learning repetitive tasks. It has an easy to use interface, and the use Saul is demoing is grabbing images off of his family's Web sites for use in a DVD he gives out at Christmas. He is showing how he can add Web sites for Automater to download from, add them to iPhoto, make a slideshow, and send it to iDVD.

This is definitely, definitely, cool, and it is very much for "normal" folks and computer pros alike. Very cool. Of course, Apple won't advertise it, just like Apple hasn't advertised anything in OS X other than iTunes, so no one besides me and you will every know about it.

This looks to be an amazing boon to us. Not particularly for the specific demo here, but I think that digital photography workflow could be greatly enhanced by this.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    OH...

MY...

take a look at the display page at the apple store. I have a 23" at work and at home...

and that 30" display is HUGE next to it. Beautiful.

and expensive.

but those Tiger features are really great. Core Video, Video Units, the searching, widgets (taking a page from Konfabulator), spotlight, dashboard...all very cool and hard to wait for. First half of 2005???? Could be another year!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    OH...

MY...

take a look at the display page at the apple store. I have a 23" at work and at home...

and that 30" display is HUGE next to it. Beautiful.

and expensive.

but those Tiger features are really great. Core Video, Video Units, the searching, widgets (taking a page from Konfabulator), spotlight, dashboard...all very cool and hard to wait for. First half of 2005???? Could be another year!

I was just looking at the 30" monitor, 21x27 inches, that is huge. I wonder when they will show up in the stores.

I hope Tiger comes out early 05.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    I was just looking at the 30" monitor, 21x27 inches, that is huge. I wonder when they will show up in the stores.

I hope Tiger comes out early 05.

I think Ginormous is the proper term.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    Really looking forward to this.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    Really looking forward to this.

I am most interested in how much going to 64 bit will be noticeable. I hope it speeds things along.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    Airport Express
    The one product I'm looking forward to is the Airport Express. I have 3 offices that I travel between weekly. I'd love to be able to just plug this in, have it configured for that specific site & start working.

The size is great, and price is reasonable since there is nothing on the market like it right now.

Dave
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    I just wiped up a huge puddle of drool...
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    I saw a 23" in person and I freaked out. I could only imagine a 30". It's like having dual 15" LCD monitors!!
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    I saw a 23" in person and I freaked out. I could only imagine a 30". It's like having dual 15" LCD monitors!!

The scariest thing about the 23" displays is how quickly you get used to it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2004
    Here is a gallery that shows the new monitors next to people. I like the Dual 30 set up, it makes a G5 look small. The 17" PB's look small compared to the 23" monitor. I wonder when the 30" will show up in the Apple Store so I can take a look.
  • Options
    BoomerangNetwork.comBoomerangNetwork.com Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2004
    Have a friend in Phoenix who purchased the latest Apple monitor and found that it was so large that he needed to put a webcam on it to see his business parner. When is it going to stop? I really love to have a large view of my work which help keep the eye strain off.
    Andrew Osterberg

Moving Beyond Photography

VirtualPhotographyStudio.com