Options

Card frustration

rt2photort2photo Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
edited November 8, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
More of a warning, and lesson learned than anything else ... this is my first card ordered through SmugMug (just migrated from another vendor), and I'm a bit peeved :/

A customer of mine ordered his cards, but the JPG he used was a little dark. I made some edits, then used the "Replace Photo" option in my sales portal, thinking that just like every other order I've had (not cards - this was my first card order), it would replace just the JPG.

Except it didn't, it replaced the entire card. Then the self fulfillment window expired and off the card went to print.

Working with support, it seems my only option now is to refund the entire order to my customer (with all the other prints he included) and re-submit the entire thing. That makes me *and* smugmug look bad to my customer ... I've already had him recreate his card from scratch (with the edited JPG), and would much prefer to just have that printed up instead of the bad JPG :(

So - word of warning - "Replace Photo" when dealing with JPGs doesn't actually "Replace Photo". Perhaps "Replace *file*" would make more sense - or at least a warning / check for cards ...

*sigh*

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    rt2photo wrote: »
    So - word of warning - "Replace Photo" when dealing with JPGs doesn't actually "Replace Photo". Perhaps "Replace *file*" would make more sense - or at least a warning / check for cards ...

*sigh*
    It actually does replace the photo. In the case, you were expecting us to replace the photo on the card, I'm sorry about that :(

I'm sure we can do better there by you though, what is your ticket #?
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    It actually does replace the photo. In the case, you were expecting us to replace the photo on the card, I'm sorry about that :(

I'm sure we can do better there by you though, what is your ticket #?

I've been working with ticket #160170 and we've come to a solution that didn't involve me asking for another $100 from my customer. I'm just a bit bummed that "Replace Photo" switched out the entire card for the one JPG I was trying to upload - when I clearly expected it to behave as it does on regular print orders, and just, well, replace the photo.

To me, a completed card is not the "photo", the picture used to build the card is the "photo"
  • Options
    rnrjoshrnrjosh Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    We should have you all sorted out now, but again, our apologies for the trouble. For future reference, if you want to replace a card with a different image, there is this workaround, which is not ideal, but will still work:

1) find the image(s) used in the creation of the card
    2) replace the images in the gallery using Tools > This Photo > More > Replace, or simply upload your retouched/edited files to a gallery.
    3) click Buy > Create a Card, and create the card just as your customer created it, using your new file.
    4) Save the card when you're done, and it will appear in your My SmugMug Creations gallery.
    5) download that card image back to your computer
    6) lastly, replace the card image in your order with the card image you just downloaded.

I realize this isn't a perfect or easy workaround by any means, but at the moment, that's the only way to replace an image used for a card. I hope this will help! :-)
    Josh
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2010
    Thanks Josh - it would be neat if the "replace photo" button wasn't there for cards, or acted differently - now I know how to fix it in future, hopefully others do from this thread also :)