Class Reunion results

CASowersCASowers Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
edited November 8, 2010 in People
The event was last night and I think turned out ok. The early response is that the organizing committee was happy with the results and quite honestly, that's the bottom line, right?
My friend came through with a 580EX for me. First time I've ever used anything other than an on board. I set up (very limited props) the black side of a discarded projector screen with a few balloons and a very old, small hand painted sign welcoming the class of 1970.
Luckily my set up area had a relatively low white drop ceiling so that I could bounce the flash. I did find some variation in lighting in some of the pictures. I was set up on a tripod, bounced the flash in the same manner each time, but there were some shots that were underexposed and others were overexposed. They were the exception, but I did find it strange to have the variation using the same set up for every shot. I was in Av mode at 1/60 and f8.
The group photo had very limited set up options as the room was pretty small, but luckily had a stage so that I could get elevated above the group.
I needed to command the group better than I did in the group photo. I needed them all to get tighter but as classmates, they must not have liked each other all that much! The idea of "packing it in closer" just seemed foreign to them...anyhoo...here is the lone successful group shot (distracting background, I know...) and a few of the portrait shots.
Appreciate all the help in prep for this one. It was a great learning experience for sure.

1081194198_q9vAd-L.jpg[/URL]

1081201069_dnp8g-L.jpg[/URL]

1081204142_hYt8p-L.jpg[/URL]

1081205648_RNV5F-L.jpg[/URL]

1081210218_XoJTj-L.jpg[/URL]

1081215710_i4qDa-L.jpg[/URL]
Chris Sowers

Comments

• liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    You did a good job! The lighting is generally good. How did you light the group shot?

I probably would have put more distance between subjects and background in portraits, and throw the bg out of focus a little. I know you had the sign, but the bg feels too close and gives a snapshot feel to them.

Cheers,
    Mark

LiflanderPhotography.com
  • CASowersCASowers Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    Thanks, Mark. Agree on the distance issue. Unfortunately, I was in a corner, next to a wall and in all honesty had about 10' between the wall and the first table of guests. I was hoping to use my 85 f1.8 prime, but did not have enough distance.
    The group shot was lit only by the 580ex. I used the built in diffusion panel to get some extra reach on the wide angle shot.
    Chris Sowers