Dead Zone

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited November 8, 2010 in Landscapes
This is Douglas Falls on the North Fork of the Blackwater River in West Virginia. I took these on a crisp fall morning (last saturday.) Autumn comes early up here in the mountains, and most of the leaves had already fallen, but there was a dusting of snow to accentuate the evergreens. It looks like it would be a nice trout stream doesn't it? Sadly, there's not a living thing in it. It is literally a dead stream. See the pretty red rocks? Toxins. Heavy metals. The rocks are supposed to be green, like the ones you see outside the normal flow channel. This is the legacy of unregulated strip mining from the early twentieth century. They say our grandchildren and great-grandchildren will still be dealing with it.

Critique, opinions, and advice (technical and artistic) solicited and appreciated.

1083116121_K2giK-XL.jpg

1083094224_xgAFk-XL.jpg

1083095090_8AkyU-L.jpg
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    looks like a lot of oxides have leached into the rocks... what a shame. this looks like it would be such a pretty stream otherwise. that said, however, i've seen similar coloring in the rocks along the watercourse of streams in Mt. Rainier National Park, where there is not, and has never been, any form of mining or other exploitation of natural resources. the red color extends to the high water mark, so it's obviously from upstream, but there's no human activity up there that would account for it...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com