Waterfall with my 70-200L

ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
edited November 13, 2010 in Landscapes
A shot from last weekend. Really PP'd the rocks to bring out some color. What do you think? Sorry, it looks a lot better full res.

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    Is that at Great Falls?? I agree with you that it'd look better bigger. POST IT BIGGER! :D
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    I agree...
    Bigger would be better... However, it is a good example of how effectively a long lens can be used for landscape work...
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    Is that at Great Falls?? I agree with you that it'd look better bigger. POST IT BIGGER! :D

Yep, it's great falls... I'll try to post it bigger, but uploading files I think can be only 800 px wide... Anyway, here goes...
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    It's nice, but the light looks very flat to me.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
    edited November 9, 2010
    Yeah, the 70-200 is great for landscapes ;~)

Ront, I agree it's kinda flat, but it was a lot flatter before PP. Here I tried adding a little contrast by raising part of the curve.
    edited November 11, 2010
    Comments?
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    Higher contrast is better. Nice shot! Best, Pam
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    Nice shot. I agree that the higher contrast is better, but it still seems to lack pop, perhaps because of the lighting and the similarities between the treast and the rocks. You might try increasing local contrast. If you are using LR, you can do this with the clarity slider. In pixel editors, try unsharp mask, level 20, radius 50 (not a typo), threshold 0.

Makes me nostalgic--I used to paddle a lot just below the falls, in odeck rapids.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    Yes, bigger is better. Since the sky is adding nothing to the image I would crop out 95% of it. Have you tried to adjust midtone with levels by lowering them a stop or so. And maybe some targeted adjusting to bring out the color of the rocks and trees more. food for thought.
  • astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    The shot honestly looks out of focus, or lacks proper depth of field. Where was focal point in this shot? Foreground rocks??? What apeture was used???
    edited November 13, 2010
    I'll try the PP stuff you guys mentioned. Trust me, it's in focus, it's just Dgrin compression(or my own compression ;~). The focus point was on the rocks in the dead-center of the image. 1/640th, f/8, ISO 250, 70mm. Now off to PS, I don't have LR ;~).
    edited November 13, 2010
    Sweet, you got me to dust of my Wacom tablet for the 1st time in months ;~)

Did the USM paddler sugested and I think it really helped. Cropped out most of the sky but didn't want to cut any trees. I moved the levels slider to darken it a tiny tiny bit. And brought out a little color in the trees.

When cropping the sky, I wanted to stay at 3:2 ratio. So I chose to cut some of the rocks at the right.

And just for fun, while I was at it, I tried to clone out that distracting spot of foam in the water. Not the best job, but I think it works... the remaining spot near the rocks, does the fade look too perfect?

I know the basics of PP, but not much more than that. Learning PS CS2 more and more with use ;~). Comments and suggestions, please?
  • CanonFanCanonFan Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2010
    Looks better with contrast. I think that if the water had blurred a little with a slower shutter speed, it would have helped the whole pic. Nice though!
    Capture the Light!

Franklin, NC
    edited November 13, 2010
    Yep, unfortunately I didn't think of thatheadscratch.gif