Need Help with a crop

DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited November 11, 2010 in People
Okay, so I have this pic:

5159863019_f2bd69d78f_z.jpg

The family loves it...BUT the problem is, if it gets cropped to a normal pic's dimensions (i.e. 16 x 20, 8 x 10, etc.) the sides get extremely cut, and the guys on either end get half their bodies taken off.

I tried to force it into the 16 x 20 proportions,which caused enough distortion to make it noticable to the family. I'm trying to find a way to crop this, and keep all the people's bodies, but have it be in a traditional crop.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. This is the family pic they want to display so I can't push them towards another one.
-=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    Can you go back to the location and get some of the space below and above and be creative in merging in more material above and below?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    Or you could make them get a 16x24.. then you would just crop some off the top? Problem avoided?
    Jer
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    Hmmm, two good suggestions but I noticed you already did some obvious PS work right above the gentleman's to the far right head....

Looks like repetitive shrubbery sorta like in a cartoon :-)
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Hmmm, two good suggestions but I noticed you already did some obvious PS work right above the gentleman's to the far right head....

Looks like repetitive shrubbery sorta like in a cartoon :-)

Yeh, looks like he tried covering up the fence.

The only way you're going to get a 4/5 crop outta this is to somehow add on 'more' imagery to one or either ends. The best option being, to go with the pano style crop as mentioned earlier, and eat the framing costs. But 1st, fix up what you 'fixed' already.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    cropping to a 4:5 dimension and keep all people in it is not going to be possible; You would have to add pixels to it as mentioned above.
    I think a 2:3 (4x6, 8x12, 16x24) crop is the only useable solution here.

There is a big difference in cropping for the image to be shown on the web/digital and in cropping for print. Many people seem to not realize they can lose a lot of the image 'in real life'.
    I think the crop is too tight; Even if you have it printed as is or in a 2:3 crop, you are going to lose some of the image due to bleed & trim. The hand on the left and part of the arm on the right may disappear. Then, if you were to frame it you will most likely lose even more of the image.

Is this already a crop? or is this like it was shot?
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    What about adding a colored and/or textured border around the image to grow it out to a framable size. Some work in PS can yield a pretty close facsimile to a nice mat job.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    10x20 FTW
    The shot can survive a 10x20 crop, which is much more common than a 16x24. It also addresses some of the fence issues you were dealing with. I know Hobby Lobby carries some 10x20s, I'm sure they are readily available online. OR you could get a frameless option like a mount or metal, etc.

Always shoot group shots WIIIIIDE! :) (but don't worry, we ALL had to learn this the hard way on a client first!):D
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    I am not able to see the shot as it is not on smug, and host is blocked at work.. but you could crop 'em to 8x10 or what not and then turn the excess into a "frame"?
    something like this

689626346_gSNUr-L.jpg
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Here's a crude example of what I was suggesting. The backround is 4 x 6, and your picture is overlaid to make it look like its matted. The outside 4 x 6 then fits a standard frame. (I don't have PS at work, so used Word to create a crude example). With PS you can actually create a frame around the image and bevel the inner edge to make it look like an overlaid mat.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Print the image at 16 X 24, go to Frame Destination and buy a 24 X 32 metal frame kit with archival mat, foam backing and clear Plexiglas.

This will cost $69.00.

Sam
  • fdifdi Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    Thanks Sam for suggesting Frame Destination, Inc but we do full custom sizes. You can print the image any size you want, select any mat borders or no mat at all and get the exact picture frame size that works for you. We have a lot of frame sizes and you can check out the list here: FDI Picture Frame Sizes and you can also get some help on entering custom frame sizes here: custom picture frame help and custom mat size help

In general the first choice under our "size" selection pull-down is "custom".

Cheers, Mark
    Sam wrote: »
    Print the image at 16 X 24, go to Frame Destination and buy a 24 X 32 metal frame kit with archival mat, foam backing and clear Plexiglas.

This will cost $69.00.

Sam
    Picture Frames Destination, Inc.
    Facebook
    My Picture Framing Blog
    Rebel T2i, 100mm/2.8, 28-105mm
    100-300mm, 17-35mm
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    Does this work for you? 7x4 on a 10x8.

1087000459_EqqeF-XL.jpg