Which To Print and Mount?

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited November 12, 2010 in People
I want to have one of these portraits of my wife printed and mounted to display in our home. I can't decide which one to print so I asking my friends on Dgrin to help out.

So... which one?

1083720183_pxf5b-X2.jpg

1083628026_eQpnH-X2.jpg

***Also, if there are any smudgies or anything else you see that I should workout before sending to print, let me know.
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Which portrait should I print and mount? 29 votes

89% 26 votes
10% 3 votes

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    no pictures
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    no pictures

Really? I see them.

My Smug Site
  • b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    I like the lighting in #1. I think #2 is on the dark side for me. Just my .02
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    Number 1 fo sho bro.. <- that was lame... But I'm leaving it cause it's funny.
    Jer
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    Print number one a a poster size...simply gorgeous!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    prolly #1... but hey, why don't ask *her*? headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    prolly #1... but hey, why don't ask *her*? headscratch.gif

I did... she can't decide either. headscratch.gif

BTW, what do you think of these Nik? I'd really love to hear your opinion on them.

My Smug Site
    edited November 9, 2010
    I did... she can't decide either. headscratch.gif

BTW, what do you think of these Nik? I'd really love to hear your opinion on them.

You know, if I learned anything after 20+ years of marriage is that women may take a long time to decide, but decide they will and we men have zero say in those decisions.
    And if they don't, they really don't care or don't like it. deal.gif

As for the second part, I'll give you a hint: why do you think you didn't hear from me on them to begin with? mwink.gif
  • blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    I like the light in 1 best
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    The first one for several reasons.

Lighting is better, the first thing I see is her face.

The crop is better, too. If you plan on having company in a room where this one would be displayed they might be uncomfortable seeing *that* much of your wife. *I* don't have a problem with it, but those of the more conservative mind-set might.
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    The crop is better, too. If you plan on having company in a room where this one would be displayed they might be uncomfortable seeing *that* much of your wife. *I* don't have a problem with it, but those of the more conservative mind-set might.
    This came to mind as well.. It would be kind of awkward seeing that and then seeing your wife in clothes.. eek7.gif... If its going in the bedroom, who cares!
    Jer
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    I would go with #1, I think it's a bit classier for a wall display :D + I like the light better.

You know .... you have a very pretty lady there, Mr! iloveyou.gif
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010

I wholeheartedly agree with this, but #2 is still so just sexy and exceptional, that I guess I cannot provide an opinion... lol iloveyou.gif
    Canon Fan
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    #1 hands down, the lighting is a bit more flattering. and in #2, I have seen it before, and each time I cannot take my eyes off the bottom line, it's soo close to showing that I can't help but almost feel uncomfortable, like a wardrobe malfunction just about to happen in 3, 2, 1...
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
    edited November 11, 2010
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    #1 hands down, the lighting is a bit more flattering. and in #2, I have seen it before, and each time I cannot take my eyes off the bottom line, it's soo close to showing that I can't help but almost feel uncomfortable, like a wardrobe malfunction just about to happen in 3, 2, 1...

That's pretty funny Trudy. Made me Laughing.gif.

My Smug Site
    edited November 11, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    You know .... you have a very pretty lady there, Mr! iloveyou.gif

Thank you. I know how pretty she is and I telling everyday. It's one of the reasons I've kept her around for the last 21 years. She's even smarter than she is beautiful, which makes me wonder why she stuck around with me for this long. headscratch.gif

My Smug Site
    edited November 11, 2010
    Why do you think you didn't hear from me on them to begin with? mwink.gif

Hmmm... they sucks so bad it's not even worth critiquing them? Interesting, because these are some of the my favorite photos I've taken of her.

My Smug Site
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    #2's light totally missed her face, forehead light!
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    Well, the face is hot in the first one, tone that down. The breasts should never be cut in half (crop above or below) so you need to crop about an inch off the bottom and also an inch off the dead space at the top.
    Then 1 should be pretty good.
    2 is nowhere near as good as a portrait for the wall....although if I am being honest I like 2 better :).
    She is a beautiful lady and a very good sport.
    edited November 11, 2010
    zoomer wrote: »
    Well, the face is hot in the first one, tone that down. The breasts should never be cut in half (crop above or below) so you need to crop about an inch off the bottom and also an inch off the dead space at the top.
    Then 1 should be pretty good.
    2 is nowhere near as good as a portrait for the wall....although if I am being honest I like 2 better :).
    She is a beautiful lady and a very good sport.

Thanks Zoomer. Yeah... is still need to work on the crop on #1. I did not push exposure either way in post and I shot these in RAW so I should be able to fix the slight hot spots.

For some reason, I also like #2 better but the lighting isn't as good. I think it's the pose I like better. I am probably going to do another set, try some other poses and I may try to get that pose again but hopefully better lighting. Then I will decide what to print.

My Smug Site
    edited November 11, 2010
    If you are going to reshoot it use the same light as you did in 1, have her use the same head position and then get her to give you a side glance with a sexy grin...money.
    Don't tell her to do it, get her in the same pose as she is in these then say something socially unacceptable to her and when whe gives you "that" look be ready to shoot :).

If you look at her expressions in both, I think you will agree that neither look natural.
    edited November 11, 2010
    OK... not a reshoot yet but I did work on #2 a bit. How is this:

1087031271_3wxY8-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
    edited November 11, 2010
    Looks pretty good, you may want clean up the hot spots on her face.
    Much better than it looked before.
    edited November 11, 2010
    Hmmm... they sucks so bad it's not even worth critiquing them? Interesting, because these are some of the my favorite photos I've taken of her.

Oh no, they don't suck, and I think you got enough praise from everybody else to realize that. But I don't feel comfortable critiquing when the question is set in a way "which to print and mount", which by default suggests you're really proud of what you did and are not looking for any improvement, at least in this particular case.
    "A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;"
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010

Agreed, on all counts.
    Thank you. I know how pretty she is and I telling everyday. It's one of the reasons I've kept her around for the last 21 years. She's even smarter than she is beautiful, which makes me wonder why she stuck around with me for this long. headscratch.gif

Wait a sec - you've been married to HER for 21 years? I didn't know they let girls get married when they're 5 in Cuba!

As to why she keeps you, well - look at the photos, dude. Anyone who makes you look THAT good in a pic is definitely a keeper.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
    edited November 11, 2010
    Oh no, they don't suck, and I think you got enough praise from everybody else to realize that. But I don't feel comfortable critiquing when the question is set in a way "which to print and mount", which by default suggests you're really proud of what you did and are not looking for any improvement, at least in this particular case.
    "A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;"

Understood Nik. But I am absolutely ALWAYS open to constructive feedback. Yes I am proud of these shots but not so proud that I would accept some criticism to help improve them. Especially from someone like you. How can I expect to improve if I am not willing to take good natured feedback?

But I get what you mean and I appreciate that you did not want to overstep or offend me. One of the days, we're going to have to shoot together since we are relative neighbors. Well, maybe not shoot together, but I would be more than happy to assist you one day. I think if we do, you'll soon realize that I don't take myself too seriously and it's almost impossible to offend me.

My Smug Site
    edited November 11, 2010
    WillCAD wrote: »
    Agreed, on all counts.

Wait a sec - you've been married to HER for 21 years? I didn't know they let girls get married when they're 5 in Cuba!

As to why she keeps you, well - look at the photos, dude. Anyone who makes you look THAT good in a pic is definitely a keeper.

HAHA... well, we actually met here in California while in High School. She wasn't quite 5 but 15. Still very young though... I was almost 18; I know... still cradle robbing on my part. ne_nau.gif

We'be been married for 19 of those 21 years. We married when she was 18 and I 21. We both look very young for our age. Not because we think so.. but because no one ever believes when we tell them our ages. I guess we keep each other young. I'm not sure I knew it back then, but it was the best decision of my life. I can't imagine living even one day without her in my life.

My Smug Site
    edited November 11, 2010
    OK... worked on hot spots as much as I could without getting artifacts... better? Looks fine on my monitor but it's not calibrated.

1087238130_aSNSe-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    I voted for the new #2. :) the lighting looks good to me.
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D