Noobie to drgin & SmugMug

applegalapplegal Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited November 10, 2010 in People
Hi Everyone!,

I am new to dgrin and SmugMug :D I am not sure I've figured out how the board is laid out yet but wanted to introduce myself and share a few images for cc. I have recently stepped out of my comfort zone of using only natural light and have started trying to use a couple continous lights. The days of great sunlight are getting fewer and farther between here with winter coming and I didn't want to have to stop shooting. For some reason, I can only attach 1 image so here is an example of my attempt so use my lights. Any words of wisdom are always greatly appreciated :D (oh, I am 100% self-taught and don't always know the correct terms for things so please excuse me if I mess up terminology or don't understand something).

Thanks!!!
Sarah

Comments

• applegalapplegal Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    Hmmm, my attachment looks funny?
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Hi Sarah
    Welcome to the forum and SmugMug
    This is a sweet portrait....what type of continious lighting do you have, tungsten or fluorescent?
    I like how you illuminated the background...the skin tones are just a tad off though.....
    What do you mean by "the attachment looks funny"?
    If you think the colorspace is off...make sure that you save files as sRGB for the internet...
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited November 10, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Hi Sarah
    Welcome to the forum and SmugMug
    This is a sweet portrait....what type of continious lighting do you have, tungsten or fluorescent?
    I like how you illuminated the background...the skin tones are just a tad off though.....
    What do you mean by "the attachment looks funny"?
    If you think the colorspace is off...make sure that you save files as sRGB for the internet...

Hi Rey,
    Thank you. The kit I purchased came with tungsten but I purchased fluorescent separately. Unfortunately, the fluorescent bulbs the person at the camera store recommended weren't anywhere near bright enough and I had to pull out the tungsten for this shoot. I am hoping they'll let me exchange them this week.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Welcome!! You will find many kindred spirits here. I am also self taught and my progress really took off when I found this place. I must admit it is a daily habit for me now. We are pretty laid back here, no question is too basic. Whatever you need to know you'll find it here somewhere!!
    Cheers
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    applegal wrote: »
    Hi Everyone!,

I am new to dgrin and SmugMug :D I am not sure I've figured out how the board is laid out yet but wanted to introduce myself and share a few images for cc. I have recently stepped out of my comfort zone of using only natural light and have started trying to use a couple continous lights. The days of great sunlight are getting fewer and farther between here with winter coming and I didn't want to have to stop shooting. For some reason, I can only attach 1 image so here is an example of my attempt so use my lights. Any words of wisdom are always greatly appreciated :D (oh, I am 100% self-taught and don't always know the correct terms for things so please excuse me if I mess up terminology or don't understand something).

Thanks!!!
    Sarah
    Welcome wave.gif

Have a look around and if you need help figuring out the forum let us know thumb.gif
    I think a lot of shooters here are self-taught so don't worry about that!
    applegal wrote: »
    Hmmm, my attachment looks funny?
    Attaching images is horrible for the images itself. They usually look soft, for one. You can also attach only one per post.

If you have a place online where you store your images, you can embed them while keeping the images looking like they really are. You can also embed as many as you like then.
    See the link in my signature (below) on how to do most anything around here and let us know if you have any questions!
  • Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Welocme aboard! I too am new here, well, sort of. ;)

You will find the crowd here is amazing! Glad to have you with us! :D
    edited November 10, 2010
    Thanks for the welcome everyone! And Ivar, thanks for the links. I was trying to figure out how to imbed images direct and now I know :D