Stiff zoom ring on 70-200 2.8 L IS II ?

Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
edited November 11, 2010 in Cameras
Hi,

just a quick question. I recieved my Canon 70-200mm 2.8 L II IS
today and noticed that the zoom ring is quite stiff. The focus ring is
very smooth though. Is this normal?

For comparison, the zoom ring on my 70-200 4.0 L and the
70-200mm 2.8 L non-IS (sold) is/was much smoother .

Thanks!
“To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
― Edward Weston

Comments

• JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    Could be they want to make sure it's not going to move on you, might loosen up with age. I don't remember back that long ago when I got my MkI to remember if it was stiff when I got it.
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    On my copy I wouldn't call either stiff, but the zoom ring is just a tad stiffer than the focus ring. I've had it for about 3 months.
    Manfr3d wrote: »
    Hi,

just a quick question. I recieved my Canon 70-200mm 2.8 L II IS
    today and noticed that the zoom ring is quite stiff. The focus ring is
    very smooth though. Is this normal?

For comparison, the zoom ring on my 70-200 4.0 L and the
    70-200mm 2.8 L non-IS (sold) is/was much smoother .

Thanks!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 9, 2010
    What do you mean when you say one lens is "stiff" and the other one "smooth"? Something can be both stiff and smooth, so I'm not sure what you're saying. Does the zoom ring turn smoothly, but is just harder to turn? Or is the operation catchy and jerky? I think Dan gave a good reference point that it's a bit harder to rotate than the focus ring. Remember though, you're doing a lot more work when you're zooming because you're moving elements inside the lens a lot further than when you focus. On my lens, the zoom ring is actually harder to rotate when zooming out (wider) than zooming in. But in all cases, it's silky smooth. If your action is jerky or catchy and not smooth, then I would definitely send it back. Otherwise, it may be ok.
  • billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    The zoom is a little harder to turn than the focus, but I wouldn't call either "stiff".
    - Bill
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    Thanks for all of your replies. The zoom ring is starting to loosen up a little.
    Must've been the new factor that initialiy made it hard to turn the zoom ring.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston