Amazon Rust Queens

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited November 10, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Of all places, these ladies rule the roost at an honest-to-goodness fish camp.

This first beauty is MELIKAU.....Queen of the Seas.

1084440221_qbFC3-XL.jpg

This one is GOAWAYJOE.....her lesbian lover, I think.

1084440472_unqTG-XL.jpg

This is their trusty warhorse....or should I say warsteer....GOREUTHRU

1084441049_qzKBJ-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    More like Amazing Rust Queens! clap.gifthumb.gif

Reminds me of some sculptures I have seen up here, findable in my image galleries. :D

Nice find....
    Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    More like Amazing Rust Queens! Don

Ditto from me. And an amazing amount of work has been done on each, certainly the making was a serious business. Do you know who they mean so much to? Are you really on the Amazon, Tom?! The idea makes me anxious, but maybe I read too many Boy's Own stories way back!rolleyes1.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Hi Don,

These gals were amazing for sure. They were life-size and just demanded your attention. Each strand of hair on MELIKAU was a braided piece of twisted wire. The " wings " on the back of GOAWAYJOE were beyond being elaborate. Pretty impressive stuff to find in that particular environment. For all their crudeness, they are, at the same time, a marvel of inspiration and execution.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Howdy Tom,

What a great find and I can't believe the detail the Artist achieved,
    especially with something so large and that many pieces.

Very nicely done with all the details and colors.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited November 10, 2010
    Hey Neil,

I'm not sure whose inspiration these statues were, but, whoever it was, they had vision and talent. There were actually three more of these ladies I didn't show. The range of lighting on those three was so extreme I couldn't get an acceptable image.

The term " amazon " here refers to the stories of a nation of all-women warriors as represented in classical Greek mythology.

Take care my friend,

Tom
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Great find Tom......My favorite is Melikau....probably the hairdo....thumb.gif
    edited November 10, 2010
    Yo Craig,

My buddy I was with when we found this art started hollering that we had found he Mother Load of rust stuff. I don't know about that, but we sure as hell had stumbled onto some really interesting works. I'm going back one day, prepared to shoot, again, the ones I didn't post.

Plus that camp had some of the best stone crabs I've ever run across.

Take care,

Tom
    edited November 10, 2010
    Hey Gary,

MELIKAU's hair was the first thing that grabbed my attention. It was made of some sort of galvanized wire that didn't rust. The sun hitting that head of hair just about blistered my eyes.

Take it easy,

Tom