Olympus E5 - My first test images

PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
edited November 23, 2010 in Cameras
I received my E5 yesterday and decided to see how it performed. These images were produced to check ISO performance, colour reproduction and sharpness straight out of the camera (no post processing). I have a difficulty in that Adobe have not yet released a version of RAW converter so I could not use Lightroom for this test.
These images were uploaded to Olympus Viewer 2 (shipped with the E5). The RAW files were merely saved as High Quality jpg alongside the jpg files from the camera. This is the best way I can think of to show you comparisons between jpg and RAW output from the camera.

ISO 200
1084058553_KX5ss-XL.jpg
jpg Output file
1084068645_rcwK2-XL.jpg
RAW output file converted to jpg

ISO 1600
1084059161_Py3oh-XL.jpg
jpg Output file
1084069086_cxPZc-XL.jpg

ISO 3200
1084059052_PeNa6-XL.jpg
jpg Output file
1084068899_yerZw-XL.jpg

I have deliberately kept the sizes down to extra large to save people time.
If you want the oiginal size images, you can select them from my website by selecting O from the popout when hovering over a image.

More to come later. __________________
Kind regards

Peter
www.imageinuk.com
progress.gifedit.gif

Comments

• EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    It's hard for me to tell without comparing to a camera I know well, but it looks pretty good. What are your impressions?
  • PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    Eclipsed wrote: »
    It's hard for me to tell without comparing to a camera I know well, but it looks pretty good. What are your impressions?

Thanks for your comments.
    I am very impressed with this performance. Olympus have tackled the area I needed for wildlife photography. Noise at ISO above 800 was something I would use only in an emergency. It seems that I can at least double the ISO which will make a big difference when using long lenses. Sharpness, straight from the camera is good and colour reproduction likewise (you will have to take my word for the last comment). I usually only shoot in RAW format so I was especially pleased with the comparison images. Looks like a good job done and I am glad I purchased it.
    I shall be trying out the Sigma 150 Macro and the Sigma 50-500 and shall post the results here.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited November 9, 2010
    Congratulations on the new camera. clap.gif

I agree that ISO 1600 is very nice and that ISO 3200 is probably OK for simple subjects and small print sizes. The noise levels are not too bad at ISO 3200 but fine detail is lacking from what looks like heavy noise reduction. Different RAW conversion software can make a big difference so the situation may improve with better versions of software.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited November 9, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »

I agree that ISO 1600 is very nice and that ISO 3200 is probably OK for simple subjects and small print sizes. The noise levels are not too bad at ISO 3200 but fine detail is lacking from what looks like heavy noise reduction. Different RAW conversion software can make a big difference so the situation may improve with better versions of software.

Thank you ziggy.
    I have been very pleased with the E3 over the last three years but this is a marked improvement.
  • fldspringerfldspringer Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2010

Here's ISO3200 with no noise reduction (Jpeg because Lightroom doesn't support it yet)

1060132117_CJGAt-XL.jpg
    edited November 10, 2010
    Here's ISO3200 with no noise reduction (Jpeg because Lightroom doesn't support it yet)

1060132117_CJGAt-XL.jpg

Thanks Gregthumb.gif. Great image at ISO 3200. I have not tried this ISO as I thought that it probably was not worth trying. I note that your image is a crop too.
    I shall be out today to take more test images. Olympus have really got their act together. What do you think of the camera?
    edited November 10, 2010
    Thanks Gregthumb.gif. Great image at ISO 3200. I have not tried this ISO as I thought that it probably was not worth trying. I note that your image is a crop too.
    I shall be out today to take more test images. Olympus have really got their act together. What do you think of the camera?

Actually, its full frame as shot with the 300mm f2.8/EC-14 converter.

I got one of the first batch from B&H and got a day and a half of shooting before I pulled a stupid human trick. The camera with the 300mm attached rolled off my backpack from the back seat of the car. The camera didn't survive.

Thanks to some substancial help from Olympus service, they made it possible to get a replacement at a hefty discount even though they were under no obligation to do so. That camera arrived yesterday and I'll get it out this weekend.

A couple more from the camera before the damage. I have to reserve judgement because I shot it only with some pretty crappy light.

300mm/ec-14 and ISO2000 (also full frame)

1060150602_KhiER-XL.jpg

Another ISO2000 (also uncropped)

1060133191_KfAU3-XL.jpg

This is with the 50-200 at 182mm f3.5 and ISO250

1060031450_VY8w2-XL.jpg

and a crop

1060033908_d4YpF-M.jpg

Its important to stress that this is a poor test of the camera. Lighting was very heavy overcast and the camera got wet both days I shot with it. I set the camera to auto ISO with the upper limit set to 3200. I never allowed my E-3 to choose the ISO, and 800 was as far as I felt comfortable with. The E-5 does much better there, and it focused the 50 macro positvely in some terrible interior lighting.

Like I said, I'll get the new camera out this weekend, and I'll hope for some better light.
    edited November 10, 2010
    Sorry to hear about the E-5 mishap but I am extremely pleased with Olympus helping you out. thumb.gifclap.gifclap
    ziggy53
    edited November 10, 2010
    Actually, its full frame as shot with the 300mm f2.8/EC-14 converter.

I got one of the first batch from B&H and got a day and a half of shooting before I pulled a stupid human trick. The camera with the 300mm attached rolled off my backpack from the back seat of the car. The camera didn't survive.

Its important to stress that this is a poor test of the camera. Lighting was very heavy overcast and the camera got wet both days I shot with it. I set the camera to auto ISO with the upper limit set to 3200. I never allowed my E-3 to choose the ISO, and 800 was as far as I felt comfortable with. The E-5 does much better there, and it focused the 50 macro positvely in some terrible interior lighting.

Like I said, I'll get the new camera out this weekend, and I'll hope for some better light.

Hi Greg
    I too am sorry to hear about your mishap - It happens. I dropped my Sigma 50-500 and ruined it. I paid for the repair but found it still faulty. Sigma returned the lens to the factory in Japan for the repair (foc) and loaned me a replacement lens for the time it was away (6 months).

I had the same experience with my E3. ISO 800 being tops only when it was essential to capture something special. I have used auto ISO in the past but gave that up. I may well be inclined to try again with the E5:D.

I hope you get the opportunity to get some really good shots over the weekendthumb.gif.
    Sorry to hear about the E-5 mishap but I am extremely pleased with Olympus helping you out. thumb.gifclap.gifclap

Hi ziggy
    When I first purchased my E3 it had a problem and Olympus UK loaned me a camera until mine was sorted out. That, plus the experience I have had with Sigma (see above) shows that these companies put the customer first. A welcome change from normal retail experience where you have nothing until your repair is completed.
    edited November 11, 2010

I've had camera equipment for many years and have never had an accident with any of it. You only have to get stupid once, and it can happen very quickly. I was lucky it was the camera body and not the 300mm that hit first. The camera is built like a tank, but when there is an 8 lb lens on it, something has to give.

The Oly service people were great. What they did made it possible to get the replacement camera now instead of kicking myself everytime I picked up the old one knowing if I wasn't a dumbass, I'd be shooting the E-5.

Hats off to Oly service. They helped more than they may know!
    edited November 11, 2010
    Hi Greg
    I too am sorry to hear about your mishap - It happens. I dropped my Sigma 50-500 and ruined it. I paid for the repair but found it still faulty. Sigma returned the lens to the factory in Japan for the repair (foc) and loaned me a replacement lens for the time it was away (6 months).

I had the same experience with my E3. ISO 800 being tops only when it was essential to capture something special. I have used auto ISO in the past but gave that up. I may well be inclined to try again with the E5:D.

I hope you get the opportunity to get some really good shots over the weekendthumb.gif.

By far, the best feature of the E-5 is it mounts some excellent Zuiko glass. I've got some good ones and the last thing I want to do is to build up another system.

Second best feature is the dumpping to XD and going SD. I thought compact flash wound be my main card, but SD is really nice to pop into the laptop. Its nice to be able to choose.

I have alot of opinions yet to be formed, but I thought the E-3 was a nice camera, and the E-5 improves lots of things. I'm sure I'll love it.
    edited November 18, 2010
    By far, the best feature of the E-5 is it mounts some excellent Zuiko glass. I've got some good ones and the last thing I want to do is to build up another system.

Second best feature is the dumpping to XD and going SD. I thought compact flash wound be my main card, but SD is really nice to pop into the laptop. Its nice to be able to choose.

I have alot of opinions yet to be formed, but I thought the E-3 was a nice camera, and the E-5 improves lots of things. I'm sure I'll love it.

Good morning Greg

Did you get your replacement E5? I hope sonod.gif.

It seems the first batch sold quickly in the UK and dealers are awaiting the second batch.
    edited November 18, 2010
    Olympus E5 Test Images
    I have updated my site to include a series of PRACTICAL tests of the E5 with different lenses etc. These are based on the direct jpg output as the RAW file converter program is not yet available from Adobe:cry.

The list is as follows:
    E5 with Zuiko Digital 12-60mm lens (Images shown on this thread)
    E5 with Sigma 50-500 lens
    E5 with Zuiko Digital 70-300 lens
    E5 with Sigma 150 macro lens
    E5 Video
    E5 Night shoot

These are not technical tests but purely some practical examples to give you a 'feel' for this camera. I look forward to getting the RAW file converter to better appreciate the camera performance. Although the camera ships with such a program, it is an Olympus offering which does not output .dng files.

The link is here >> http://www.imageinuk.com/Test-Images/Olympus-E5-Tests/14609316_v3e24
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Threads like these make me wish I had the cash for an E-5. I mean, I love my E-30, but even perfection can sometimes be improved upon.
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Threads like these make me wish I had the cash for an E-5. I mean, I love my E-30, but even perfection can sometimes be improved upon.

From what I've seen so far, it seems to be quite an improvement. Remember, in terms of raw out of the camera IQ, the E-30 is good, the E-620 is slightly better, the E-P1 better still, and so on. In total, we have five generations of incremental improvements from the E-30 to the E-5 (and six from the E-3). There's a lot to like.
    edited November 18, 2010
    Good morning Greg

Did you get your replacement E5? I hope sonod.gif.

It seems the first batch sold quickly in the UK and dealers are awaiting the second batch.

Its here!

I shot for the first time last weekend, and I had better light than I did with the first one. I posted a few in the wildlife forum and I choose a few, some my be duplicates.

(P.S. I cheated and used the 300mm f2.8)

1090440431_uuXXv-XL.jpg

1092407508_VAmqM-XL.jpg

1092410058_qr6CM-XL.jpg

1092411193_qd8yr-XL.jpg

1092412475_d2nii-XL.jpg

The 300mm and the E-5 enjoy each other's companythumb.gif
    edited November 18, 2010
    More anyone?

1090431365_cp6pL-XL.jpg

1090434624_zu3wZ-XL.jpg

1090442472_RbPvp-XL.jpg
  • Debashis_A_ghoshDebashis_A_ghosh Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Although I do not have an Oly DSLR...I like the bird shots in this thread. Thanks for sharing. Its interesting to read up brands I ahve not yet had the opportunity to use.
    Debashis Ghosh

My Flickr

EOS 700D, 100 mm f/2.8 Macro USM,
    EF-S 55-250 F/4-5.6 IS, EF-50 f/1.8,
    EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF-S 10-18 mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
    edited November 19, 2010
    Good morning Greg and all others that have responded on this thread.

Thank you all for replying to this thread.

Those are really great bird shots Gregclap.gif. Thank you for posting them. The weather in the UK has been simply appalling but soon things should change soon(I hope). Your images show the great improvement to the Olympus DSLR performance.
    edited November 19, 2010
    Your images show the great improvement to the Olympus DSLR performance.

Sometimes I like to argue for the sake of argueingmwink.gif.

I love my E-5 so far, but don't take too much away from its predecessors. I consider my E-3 to be a fine camera also.

I took these just to make sure the big 300mm survived the fall.
    E-3/300mm/EC-14

1079960393_XZUyv-XL.jpg

1079957754_z2U5P-XL.jpg

And a few others by the ol' E-3 just for good measure.

E-3/300mm/EC-20

937847399_TUwgh-XL.jpg

937848823_DNMGo-XL.jpg

35-100 at f2
    765814692_NAXiB-XL.jpg

I guess my point is the biggest factor in getting pics is to shoot. The latest and greatest is nice (ISO3200wings.gif) but the old one still works too. Its a great time to do photography!!!
    edited November 19, 2010
    Sometimes I like to argue for the sake of argueingmwink.gif.

I love my E-5 so far, but don't take too much away from its predecessors. I consider my E-3 to be a fine camera also.

I guess my point is the biggest factor in getting pics is to shoot. The latest and greatest is nice (ISO3200wings.gif) but the old one still works too. Its a great time to do photography!!!

A very good point you make which I have to agree with. I am keeping my E3 for macro work and backup. The loser I am afraid is the good old E500 which was my entry into dslr. Its going to a good home though, a shared resource for my children. Despite its age, it produces some great images - which is why I upgraded to the E3 in the first place.
    edited November 20, 2010
    C-AF and Sequential Test from this afternoon
    As posted on another site. Smug isn't in sequence so I'll just link to the site I originally posted on.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr/180299-e-5-c-af.html#post1168780
    edited November 20, 2010
    As posted on another site. Smug isn't in sequence so I'll just link to the site I originally posted on.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr/180299-e-5-c-af.html#post1168780

Well, you know what they say..........great minds think alikeclap.gif.

Great series there Greg. It just so happens I posted a sequential series myself using a Herring Gull as the model. I have included the camera settings I used - took a while to create the page but what the hell - its great fun:D.

Link here > http://peterd-2009.smugmug.com/Test-Images/E5-Sequential-Shooting/14738585_TaEJP

Its part of my E5 test section and I was about to post it here when I saw your entry, We seem to be getting a comprehensive set of test images with both of our postingsthumb.gif.
    edited November 20, 2010
    Thanks folks.
    ziggy53
  • david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    Eclipsed wrote: »
    It's hard for me to tell without comparing to a camera I know well,

If you know, can you assure you won't be bias?
  • EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    david-low wrote: »
    If you know, can you assure you won't be bias?

I am not biased. A camera is a camera. Comparing two cameras is a way for me to assess performance based on something I'm used to. For example, you could tell me that a d700 for example has great iso performance, but unless I have something to gauge that against I can't understand how it actually performs. That is why I like comparisons.
  • dirtfan21dirtfan21 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    This makes me want to go out and get the E-5.. I wonder what this camera can do with sports? Im a sports shooter and use the E-500 (2) or E-520 for my events. I do mostly Dirt Track Racing. So a plus for me would be the weather proof on the E-5. My E-520 shutter is about to go out I have over 67,000 and counting. So there for I am looking for a new body. E-30, E-3 or the new E-5.

Is there a E-5 owner that shoots sports, if so I would like to see some sports Pictures...

Thank you for all the have gave there work to see this new camera work... Awesome
    edited November 23, 2010
    dirtfan21 wrote: »
    This makes me want to go out and get the E-5.. I wonder what this camera can do with sports? Im a sports shooter and use the E-500 (2) or E-520 for my events. I do mostly Dirt Track Racing. So a plus for me would be the weather proof on the E-5. My E-520 shutter is about to go out I have over 67,000 and counting. So there for I am looking for a new body. E-30, E-3 or the new E-5.

Is there a E-5 owner that shoots sports, if so I would like to see some sports Pictures...

Thank you for all the have gave there work to see this new camera work... Awesome

I am pleased that the images that Greg and I have posted on here have been useful. May I suggest that the E5 should be preferred to the E3 not only for the ISO performance and IQ but also for the video function. Both IMHO should be ideal for the type of photography you are interested in.

I have just posted a video I took today that might interest you. Not sport but it does show you the capability.

The link is here > http://peterd-2009.smugmug.com/Test-Images/Video-2/14783278_GDaeM

I recorded this using centre weighted exposure mode but should have used ESP. It was hand-held using the ZD 12-60 lens and the cameras internal microphone.

Comments etc as always are welcome.
    edited November 23, 2010
    dirtfan21 wrote: »

Some would have to do with what lenses you currently own.

A link to someone who does this.

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=61872

And I'll show one of the series I previously had linked to.

These were with the 50-200 SWD wide open at f3.5 to narrow the DOF so focus would be more critical. Also worth mentioning is these were JPEGs straight from the camera. The C-AF was single center point and the frame rate was 5 FPS. I have the E-3 also and this performance is better than the E-3 could do, and most certainly quite a step up from what your E520 would accomplish.

1098165691_qdGcN-XL.jpg

1098166969_Wy7DA-XL.jpg

1098168679_KiqEr-XL.jpg

1098167818_ShiHX-XL.jpg

1098169524_uXy2S-XL.jpg

1098170366_Guf39-XL.jpg