5 day old

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited November 10, 2010 in People
I met up with this couple and their little 5 day old baby boy. I'm not sure what it is about me, but newborns...they don't sleep around me. ok ok...he is sleeping in the last one..but we were almost done. lol

1084540484_Db3fP-L.jpg
1084546755_grj44-L.jpg
Family was right there. I used extreme caution before and while doing this shot. :)
1084382452_iv5FH-L.jpg

Comments

• l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    That second one is the winner for me!!

Here's my tricks for getting babies to sleep: 1) Make it warm, as warm as you can, if you're sweating, they're comfortable. Wrap them up in something cozy if you have to. 2) White noise. Seriously, if you have an iPhone, find a free app that makes white noise and use it. It works, promise. If they have a womb sound machine, use it. 3) Rub their eyebrows. Really. It sounds insane, but it works. If you're uncomfortable touching their face, carry q-tips around with you and use those. I use the top of my fingers and brush eyebrows from inside to outside, or from between the eyes and down the nose. The fact that your hand is close will make them want to close their eyes and the constant soothing of the rubbing will make them pass out.

If mom nurses, see if she'd be comfortable giving a few ounces of formula right before the shoot, it's thicker and they sleep better.

Besides, the more they fuss, the more you get to snuggle them!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    I really like the second one. There is really good connection between dad and child.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Here's my tricks for getting babies to sleep: 1) Make it warm, as warm as you can, if you're sweating, they're comfortable. Wrap them up in something cozy if you have to. 2) White noise. Seriously, if you have an iPhone, find a free app that makes white noise and use it. It works, promise. If they have a womb sound machine, use it. 3) Rub their eyebrows. Really. It sounds insane, but it works. If you're uncomfortable touching their face, carry q-tips around with you and use those. I use the top of my fingers and brush eyebrows from inside to outside, or from between the eyes and down the nose. The fact that your hand is close will make them want to close their eyes and the constant soothing of the rubbing will make them pass out.

If mom nurses, see if she'd be comfortable giving a few ounces of formula right before the shoot, it's thicker and they sleep better.

Besides, the more they fuss, the more you get to snuggle them!

That has to be some of the most fascinating advice I've read in a long time! :wow
    I have to agree on #2 as the favorite.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • OfficeHeroesOfficeHeroes Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 10, 2010
    I met up with this couple and their little 5 day old baby boy. I'm not sure what it is about me, but newborns...they don't sleep around me. ok ok...he is sleeping in the last one..but we were almost done. lol

What gorgeous pictures!
    Mum looks stunning considering what she went through 5 days before thumb.gif
    I bet mum and dad were soooo pleased with them, you've captured very special moments.