Newborn photoshoot tips??

Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
edited November 10, 2010 in People
Hi all, Im doing my first ever newborn session early next week and was wondering if anyone can shed some light?!

Im converting my living room to a studio. It may sound crazy but the room is quite large and has ample natural light! I have 2 strobes but only ONE 36" softbox but Ive read that one may be all I need.

I picked up the cutest basket that will fit the baby and a blanket or two. Today Im picking up a black backdrop and a white one. I think Ill use the black for the portraits of the baby (in the basket, etc) and the white for the use of the natural lighting.

I have two cameras Ill be using. A 30D and a 7D. I have a 50mm 1.4, 30mm 1.4, 28-75 2.8 and a 100mm macro 2.8.

Ive never done a newborn shoot before and Im doing this one free for a good friend and my portfolio. Id really like to make this shoot amazing, any tips from you pros on the lighting? Im not an expert lighter, at all. To be honest, Ive only used the studio lighting once.

Anything you can add to help me in the right direction?

Thanks so much everyone!

Comments

• applegalapplegal Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Hi :) I am by no means an expert but am happy to share the few things I have learned when shooting newborns.

1-use a heating pad!!! I slid it under the blanket and they stay nice and warm when naked and therefore stay asleep. Cup your hand over their head and butt until they are calm and asleep and they'll stay that way, usually.
    2-all the newborns I have shot, I have used natural light because they seem to flinch with any sort of strobe or flash if they aren't fully asleep (I just purchased a few continuous lights to use in the future). I use my 50mm 1.4 for all but the close up shots of feet and hands and by the windows this is plenty of light (generally).
    3-a bean bag chair makes posing much easier and the babies just snuggle in

Plan on it taking 2-3 hrs and allow time for mom to feed the baby if it gets crabby. Also have them loosen the diaper and put on loose clothing a bit before you start so you don't have red marks from those items.

Have fun!! I can't wait to see how they turn out. You'll love shooting a newborn :)
  • applegalapplegal Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    oooops, I am sorry, I just re-read your original post and saw you only requested lighting help and I babbled on and on. My apologies.
  • Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    applegal wrote: »
    oooops, I am sorry, I just re-read your original post and saw you only requested lighting help and I babbled on and on. My apologies.

I dont by any means consider any help babbling! Thanks so much applegal, I wouldnt of thought of the heating pad trick on my own! :D
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Since using lights and backgrounds are relatively new to you, I think the most important thing is to get some practice in before the shoot. Find a few settings background/light-wise that work for you. Get a doll from somewhere if you need. Babies are babies and don't always agree with being quiet and lying still. Trying different settings at the shoot may not work. If the baby does agree you can always experiment but this way you are at least relatively sure to get some decent shots.

I would try sticking to one light with a softbox for now. Get a good understanding of using one before using more. More lights is a lot more complex.
  • Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    ivar wrote: »
    Since using lights and backgrounds are relatively new to you, I think the most important thing is to get some practice in before the shoot. Find a few settings background/light-wise that work for you. Get a doll from somewhere if you need. Babies are babies and don't always agree with being quiet and lying still. Trying different settings at the shoot may not work. If the baby does agree you can always experiment but this way you are at least relatively sure to get some decent shots.

I would try sticking to one light with a softbox for now. Get a good understanding of using one before using more. More lights is a lot more complex.

Thanks Ivar! Im going to stick with the one softbox and maybe have mom or a friend hold a whiteboard to help with shadowing. Im actually playing with the light now and it seems pretty straight foward!

Thanks so much for the help!
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    non lighting babble...:D

make sure the room is warm, have lot's of time blocked off, have mom bring lot's of milk if it is not on board , sorry had to be funny here rolleyes1.gif ask mom to bring the baby at time of day when she is sleepy, ask mom to bring a "cute" diaper cover in case this baby hates being naked ( my grandson was that way) and if the diaper cover is NOT cute, don't use it, some of my shots last time were about worthless due to ugly "underwear" !!! have on hand some towels in case you want to do naked shots, the baby will pee on parents etc.
    A happy baby is well fed, burped, warm and has a clean diaper.
    And have a lot of patience, it helps calm the baby, and sometimes waiting just 5 more minutes can make the difference.
    Good luck!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Bryans12v wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the help!
    You're welcome. Please do come back and show the results!